The Student Room Group

Should we all face the fact non STEM subjects are inferior to STEM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Without non STEM pre industrial humans would not grasp the concept of an intellectual sphere to exchange discourse, the seed of an idea planted in the Republic of Letters C17-18 and earlier in the fora of Ancient Greece which led to the concepts of democracy and centuries later meritocracy, allowing for the masses to then socially engineer social clubs which transferred to the universities and a few centuries later again gave the blueprint for the concept of online social media such as yours truly, The Student Room.

STEM and non STEM historically have a rather symbiotic relationship.

You seem to want to pick a fight. M'lady is peeved that you are distracting me from our private frolicking

If you've been reading the thread I have said that there should be/is a rapport system between the two just one is lesser and the other greater. I've never denied the existence of non stem nor have I said they are useless or unneeded, just, less useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
If you've been reading the thread I have said that there should be/is a rapport system between the two just one is lesser and the other greater. I've never denied the existence of non stem nor have I said they are useless or unneeded, just, less useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps true in industrialised world. Regardless the snobbery is vile
Perhaps true in industrialised world. Regardless the snobbery is vile

And you don't have an argument. Goodbye.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Remember with this STEM stuff that TSR (or the internet in general I suppose) is the only place where if you do a STEM subject you can lord it over people doing non-STEM subjects and not look like a ****.

Well you do look like a **** on here but its anonymous as its the internet so it doesn't really matter.

But seriously in any work situation or social situation if you start going on about how STEM is better than non-STEM and all that you will quickly be written off as an annoying fool.
I honestly think the argument is lacking context. STEM is superior in terms of what? If that's up for the contributors to decide I would go for job opportunities, if you take that as the main point (which is relevant to us as students) I would say it's about equal. There has been a lot of press about the lack of engineers but there will always be a constant demand for both subjects otherwise the debate wouldn't exist! I have a lot of respect for both fields and I if you become skilled in either STEM or outside of it then there are a plethora of opportunities available to you.

P.s. I prefer non STEM but mainly because aim better at it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Remember with this STEM stuff that TSR (or the internet in general I suppose) is the only place where if you do a STEM subject you can lord it over people doing non-STEM subjects and not look like a ****.

Well you do look like a **** on here but its anonymous as its the internet so it doesn't really matter.

But seriously in any work situation or social situation if you start going on about how STEM is better than non-STEM and all that you will quickly be written off as an annoying fool.

Maybe that's the people you know. I know lots who would vouch for STEM in person or otherwise. And not because the people you know don't see how valuable STEM is when compared to other disciplinary, that does not make them right.

You act as if you being a tough guy or whatever will make the argument or opinions sway in your favour. NONSENSE!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bally661
I honestly think the argument is lacking context. STEM is superior in terms of what? If that's up for the contributors to decide I would go for job opportunities, if you take that as the main point (which is relevant to us as students) I would say it's about equal. There has been a lot of press about the lack of engineers but there will always be a constant demand for both subjects otherwise the debate wouldn't exist! I have a lot of respect for both fields and I if you become skilled in either STEM or outside of it then there are a plethora of opportunities available to you.

P.s. I prefer non STEM but mainly because aim better at it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lacking context? Job opportunities? Why are you thinking small? Go use sociology and political science to build a home for you to live, let history make a phone for you and put up an internet connection while you're at it. No? They are not equal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are STEM subjects superior to other subjects? Just because they are harder doesn't mean they are better and it doesn't mean that those who don't do them aren't capable. Geez :mad:
Maybe that's the people you know. I know lots who would vouch for STEM in person or otherwise. And not because the people you know don't see how valuable STEM is when compared to other disciplinary, that does not make them right.

You act as if you being a tough guy or whatever will make the argument or opinions sway in your favour. NONSENSE!

Posted from TSR Mobile

honestly you're coming across as more desperate than OP here now :tongue:

STEM=great

Arts/Humanities=Great

Social Sciences=Great

Snobbery about any of them=you're a pretentious ****

seemples

Your argument throughout has still been largely non-existent and mostly ad hom attacks against non STEM people. The arguments you do have

i) I did some non STEM subjects and they are inferior because I say so

ii) non STEM is good/useful but STEM is still superior, also because I say so

Honestly starting to feel you are a troll too
Lacking context? Job opportunities? Why are you thinking small? Go use sociology and political science to build a home for you to live, let history make a phone for you and put up an internet connection while you're at it. No? They are not equal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh be quiet. If we're going to use that kind of cheap point-scoring, you could argue that without languages we wouldn't be able to understand each other and so the world would be an anarchy where inventions would be impossible.

You have a puerile argument.
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is becoming reductionist too, we'll trace this back to some shoddy-evo psych soon
Original post by grassntai
Oh be quiet. If we're going to use that kind of cheap point-scoring, you could argue that without languages we wouldn't be able to understand each other and so the world would be an anarchy where inventions would be impossible.

You have a puerile argument.

Humanities is vast, the Arts are vast, The Social Sciences are vast and Language, a small part of the humanities and partly Arts is your only argument?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
honestly you're coming across as more desperate than OP here now :tongue:

STEM=great

Arts/Humanities=Great

Social Sciences=Great

Snobbery about any of them=you're a pretentious ****

seemples

Your argument throughout has still been largely non-existent and mostly ad hom attacks against non STEM people. The arguments you do have

i) I did some non STEM subjects and they are inferior because I say so

ii) non STEM is good/useful but STEM is still superior, also because I say so

Honestly starting to feel you are a troll too

Call me what you wish. I addressed the argument and was simply making a comment at the end. You're purposefully trying to derail the thread. And everything is not because I say so. The examples I've given are valid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is becoming reductionist too, we'll trace this back to some shoddy-evo psych soon

Derailing thread part 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Humanities is vast, the Arts are vast, The Social Sciences are vast and Language, a small part of the humanities and partly Arts is your only arguement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was a satirical example of the type of 'argument' you were giving - And spelling is obviously not your strong point, perhaps you should have paid more attention in English!
Original post by grassntai
It was a satirical example of the type of 'argument' you were giving - And spelling is obviously not your strong point, perhaps you should have paid more attention in English!

A* in English TY. Typo TY. Are we done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Derailing thread part 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not de-railing anything, you were quite obviously homing on on non STEM people and retorting in a condescending tone to them why they were de facto wrong before I got here. :rolleyes:
A* in English TY. Typo TY. Are we done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A* GCSE English - what a good boy you are.

I mean you haven't really proposed an argument here ignoring your childish debacle in this thread. I think we are done.
I do STEM subjects and English lit and I find English lit the hardest to get consistently good grades it. It depends on the person, it would seem that I am more suited to STEM subjects.
I'm not de-railing anything, you were quite obviously homing on on non STEM people and retorting in a condescending tone to them why they were de facto wrong before I got here. :rolleyes:

Really? You're not? For starters, we're already off topic!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest