The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by GoldGhost
I know :P but I thought H2O + H+ --> H3O+ ? Unless I am mistaken

You're correct in saying that, but that is in a subsequent reaction, in the present reaction if you like, only H2O is formed
Original post by The_Blade
I did ocr b. They say it's the hardest exam board for chem

My teacher told me that too! How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

Can someone tell me how to revise for Chemistry and Biology

Thanks
Original post by louezzi
You're correct in saying that, but that is in a subsequent reaction, in the present reaction if you like, only H2O is formed

Thank-you

I have another question.
Am I correct in stating that H-H is a non-polar molecule and has a non-polar bond bond because the H-H is a 100% covalent bond that shares the electrons equally. However, if we were to have HCl the bond between H-Cl is polar because the Cl has a slightly negative charge, and H has slightly positive and HCl is also a polar molecule. However, if we were to have CCl4 then although the Cl is slight negatively charted the C slightly positively charged, the charges (dipoles) cancel each other out. So it is a polar bond but a non-polar molecule because the molecule is symmetrical? I'm not sure if I've worded my last point correctly

Thanks in advance!
Original post by chuckster111
Hi

Can someone tell me how to revise for Chemistry and Biology

Thanks

I find that especially for biology explain concepts to people is really really helpful as it makes sure that there are no weaknesses in your knowledge. I've done this today and my revision is progressing at a much faster rate because of it!
Thank-you

I have another question.
Am I correct in stating that H-H is a non-polar molecule and has a non-polar bond bond because the H-H is a 100% covalent bond that shares the electrons equally. However, if we were to have HCl the bond between H-Cl is polar because the Cl has a slightly negative charge, and H has slightly positive and HCl is also a polar molecule. However, if we were to have CCl4 then although the Cl is slight negatively charted the C slightly positively charged, the charges (dipoles) cancel each other out. So it is a polar bond but a non-polar molecule because the molecule is symmetrical? I'm not sure if I've worded my last point correctly

Thanks in advance!

H2 is non polar yes. The rest of your points are essentially correct too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 206
Thank-you

I have another question.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah completely correct but it is not due to the Cl having "a slightly negative charge" but because of Cl's greater electronegativity compared to hydrogen
I'm doing OCR B (salters). If anyone wants any help, PM me/reply to this post :smile:
Anyone doing the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge here?
Original post by zhang-liao
Anyone doing the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge here?

The monthly thing or the test thing :tongue: ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyricalvibe

Posted from TSR Mobile

The monthly challenge :tongue: Got to Ag so far this month and am soo stuck :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey! I'm doing chem with CCEA (might be the only one... :/ )
Original post by Millie-3
Hey! I'm doing chem with CCEA (might be the only one... :/ )

Probably! :biggrin:

Welcome anyway, funny Northern Irish board person :wink:

Also I'm just going to put this out there. CCEA exam papers are aesthetically hideous. :P
(edited 9 years ago)
The monthly challenge :tongue: Got to Rg so far this month and am soo stuck :tongue:

Ah ok, I've heard of people doing it but haven't tried it myself :redface: care explaining?
Ah ok, I've heard of people doing it but haven't tried it myself :redface: care explaining?

Every month, there is an Online Challenge hosted by C3L6 testing candidates chemistry. The challenge involves questions which pop up from outside the typical A-Level syballus. It kinda preps people for the actual paper they set..

There's five stages. Entry, Copper, Silver, Gold
and Roentgenium (the hardest level)

You do the challenge and your placed on a leaderboard against the entire world.
Reply 215
Chemistry with edexcel
Original post by carstairs
Anyone here from edexcel? i literally have no idea what my teachers on about half the time (doesn't help that he's a fan of going off topic...)

I'm with Edexcel
I have two teachers and one is brilliant, another is experienced but disappointing... Enthalpy is a bit hard for me atm... We rush too much lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
The monthly challenge :tongue: Got to Rg so far this month and am soo stuck :tongue:

Where's the monthly challenge? :tongue:
Original post by Magnesium
Where's the monthly challenge? :tongue:

http://c3l6.com/posts

Log in (sign up if you haven't already) and you have to solve each challenge and there are 5 levels per challenge. :smile:

The challenges change per month :tongue:

There's an entire thread on TSR for help on the challenge here

This monthly challenge has five levels . You can use whatever means you like to solve the problems, just type your answer in the box and click Submit. If your answer is correct, you will progress to the next level. If you correctly solve all five levels, you will appear on the C3L6 Honours Board. New challenges will be released at 00:00 (UK time) on the first day of each month for November to June.
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not really a "Chemistry" challenge as much as it is "How good are you Google skills" challenge

Quick Reply

Latest