The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Smokescreen this is the guy who angled for a transfer to Chelsea twice.

Will see Gerrard at New York City at the end of the season.

True but even then he isn't good enough for the top level clubs and I doubt he'd drop down to a mid table team. The MLS is calling tbh, he'd be good there
Original post by sevchenko
True but even then he isn't good enough for the top level clubs and I doubt he'd drop down to a mid table team. The MLS is calling tbh, he'd be good there

He's no worse than Lampard currently is he'd do well in a bit part role he's just playing with **** players in front of him when your best player currently is Sterling then somethings up.
Reply 8082
Original post by Lúcio
Obviously our 3 priorities are ST, GK and CB so i suppose replacing Gerrard will depend on how much we have left to spend after we have sufficiently strengthened those areas.
I would like the idea of buying big with a proven, established player of high quality to sit in midfield and provide a solid presence in our team, although whether one would actually choose to join us is another matter.

Getting a little sick of buying young players with potential - i appreciate and understand the philosophy but i feel like we need quality now, not later.

Unfortunately Rodgers blew it. This year when Suarez left you had a lot of money and more pull than usual. He wasted time going after players like Sanchez and Falcao when he could have focused on getting in solid players to stay in the top4. I think Moreno (in a rafael kind of way) and Markovic will come good, but when they do a big club will just steal them. 100% blame on Rodgers though.

Much like Moyes, a complete dreamer and inept in the transfer market.
Reply 8083
Original post by jam277

Ah I get you

Lel that is kind of unfair on NYC fans. The clubs' own fault though surely they could have prevented it.
Reply 8084
Original post by jam277
He's no worse than Lampard currently is he'd do well in a bit part role he's just playing with **** players in front of him when your best player currently is Sterling then somethings up.

Lampard is a far better impact player, simply because he scores a lot more and is far less egocentric. He just gets on with it. I wouldn't take Gerrard at Man Utd, I doubt you'd take him at Chelsea. He'd slow and disrupt the play. And that's saying something, given how slow our play is anyway.
Original post by samba
Lampard is a far better impact player, simply because he scores a lot more and is far less egocentric. He just gets on with it. I wouldn't take Gerrard at Man Utd, I doubt you'd take him at Chelsea. He'd slow and disrupt the play. And that's saying something, given how slow our play is anyway.

Na he can pick out players from deep very well he just needs fast players to get into the balls, but he need shed loads of protection.

There's no point having him when you have Carrick though, Carricks more cultured to your slow style but Gerrard I'd take as backup for Fabregas, we need an all purpose though if we don't want to play Ramires there(which Gerrard can just about do) but Gerrard and a right winger would improve our team.
Morons thinking gerrard would ever play for another prem club... shame on you.
Feeling kind...

Steven Gerrard is one of the best ever midfielders to play in the Premier League. His drive and determination to play for one club and stay with it, despite temptations from elsewhere deserves admiration. A brilliant passer, expert finisher and a man for the big occasion, he will be sorely missed by Liverpool Football club.

In terms of the decision...hard to say. I mean you look at Lampard and you'd said he'd be wasted in the MLS, as its a poor standard and he can clearly still cut it in the PL. The great players can play on until their mid to late 30s. But Gerrard isn't the player he was last season, and you just wonder if him playing is holding back development for others in the squad.

Perhaps its his position. Perhaps he needs to play more defensive, and that he doesn't have the legs for an attacking role. But I'm not sure. I still feel as though with his passing, his penalties and his leadership, perhaps he still has more to give. Is Henderson ready to step up? I'm not so sure.
Literally cried in bed last night over Stevie G (I know it's a bit sad).... He might not be the player he once was but he's Liverpool FC personified, captain fantastic, our leader and I don't know what will happen after he leaves #YNWA Gerrard, atleast we have a few months to truly appreciate him :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eboracum
Feeling kind...

Steven Gerrard is one of the best ever midfielders to play in the Premier League. His drive and determination to play for one club and stay with it, despite temptations from elsewhere deserves admiration. A brilliant passer, expert finisher and a man for the big occasion, he will be sorely missed by Liverpool Football club.

In terms of the decision...hard to say. I mean you look at Lampard and you'd said he'd be wasted in the MLS, as its a poor standard and he can clearly still cut it in the PL. The great players can play on until their mid to late 30s. But Gerrard isn't the player he was last season, and you just wonder if him playing is holding back development for others in the squad.

Perhaps its his position. Perhaps he needs to play more defensive, and that he doesn't have the legs for an attacking role. But I'm not sure. I still feel as though with his passing, his penalties and his leadership, perhaps he still has more to give. Is Henderson ready to step up? I'm not so sure.

Nice to see compliments from a rival fan. :smile:

I guess he feels like he doesn't have much to offer when playing for Liverpool anymore and he doesn't want to sit on the bench and come on for cameos. It's been obvious a defensive role isn't his best position since it feels like trying to shoe horn him into the squad comes to the detriment of the team and other players performances. He doesn't have the legs to be a defensive player by himself in midfield and the Lucas-Gerrard combo doesn't work at all. It also leads to other midfield players having responsibility to track back more and help defend.

In an ideal world he'd stay at Liverpool as a bit-part player for another season or so but he said himself he wants to play football and be a regular starter. After all he's done for Liverpool over the years I don't blame him wanting to go to the MLS for the twilight of his career. Tbh a break from English football for him would be nice considering the end of last season and how this season panned out.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
A Gerrardless Liverpool, it will be odd that. I Wish him well come the end of the season.

So is this a thing now? All ageing players are shipped off to the mls? Fair enough, you have to start somewhere I guess.

I'm glad Scholes and Giggs never did this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

Slippy probably wants to win a domestic title.
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scholes and Giggs still had the quality to put performances in week in week out even if it was a cameo role. They didnt complain if they didnt start every week and they were content with a bit part role.

With Gerrard, he probably wasnt happy not starting week in week out or he probably has come to an agreement that he can no longer play at the highest level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Scholes and Giggs still had the quality to put performances in week in week out even if it was a cameo role. They didnt complain if they didnt start every week and they were content with a bit part role.

With Gerrard, he probably wasnt happy not starting week in week out or he probably has come to an agreement that he can no longer play at the highest level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Giggs was a liability more often than not, just like Gerrard is now.

Scholes was just superhuman.
Giggs had to completely change his position in the latter years.

Scholes didn't really he was playing forward earlier in his career but was a deep lying playmaker for a long time.
If you're team is all round impressive then you can carry a player and cover his deficiencies. Gerrard would look superb in the Bayern side.

Teams know Gerrard has a weakness and now target him which only makes it worse.

There's been a lot of talk about Gerrard being an issue. Rodgers can now start benching him more and say he needs to look to the future.
The atmosphere at Anfield for his last game, though. Can't wait.
Original post by Zerforax
If you're team is all round impressive then you can carry a player and cover his deficiencies. Gerrard would look superb in the Bayern side.

Teams know Gerrard has a weakness and now target him which only makes it worse.

There's been a lot of talk about Gerrard being an issue. Rodgers can now start benching him more and say he needs to look to the future.

But would he get game time there? He said he wants to play regularly. The idea of Gerrard and Alonso being reunited again is cute lol. :tongue:

It's a good thing Gerrard came out and said he's leaving at the end of the season. Otherwise there'd be lots of rumours flying around which would have unsettled the squad. The team can now slowly start getting used to life without Gerrard over the next few months. I hope we can win at least one trophy this season, it'd be a nice farewell for Gerrard.
Original post by Mackay
The atmosphere at Anfield for his last game, though. Can't wait.

I feel devastated at the thought that I've never been to a football match to watch Gerrard play live for Liverpool... :bawling:
Original post by The.Joker
I feel devastated at the thought that I've never been to a football match to watch Gerrard play live for Liverpool... :bawling:

Ah, man. Unlucky.

I feel massively lucky I've been able to. Saw him a few times throughout 2004 and 2007, and I was there watching Liverpool beat Villa 3-1 back in 2006. He scored two screamers and it was the best I've seen him play.

Quick Reply

Latest