The Student Room Group

How did btec students cope with uni exams

How much of a jump was it? Did you find it hard and how did you cope?
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Original post by rkhan57
How much of a jump was it? Did you find it hard and how did you cope?

I didn't take a BTEC but know several people on my course who did. Firstly, I would say that the knowledge base I had from doing A-levels was fairly different to the knowledge base they had from doing BTECs. Although they knew about lots of things I didn't, I do think the things they hadn't covered were generally a little more difficult to grasp (e.g. cell biology and genetics). I do think some struggled a bit in first year.

However, everyone I know who did a BTEC did graduate this year or make it to third year if they did a placement year, so ultimately, they managed to cope and be successful. I think you will have to be prepared to work hard, and you will have to work out how to revise for exams, and maybe cope with other kinds of assessment that you didn't do during your BTEC.
I did a BTEC Sports Science and got a first in BSc Psychology.
Feel that BTEC courses prepare you well for written essays. Examinations, not so much. But I always managed to to at least reasonably well at those too, despite mediocre GCSE's and low AS results.
Original post by hellodave5
I did a BTEC Sports Science and got a first in BSc Psychology.
Feel that BTEC courses prepare you well for written essays. Examinations, not so much. But I always managed to to at least reasonably well at those too, despite mediocre GCSE's and low AS results.

So you dropped As for btec? What uni did you go and well done mate :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fudgecake22
So you dropped As for btec? What uni did you go and well done mate :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got C, D and E in English, History and Sports respectively... mostly because I didn't enjoy them and wasn't happy with where I was. Simply didn't like the schooling system and its rigidity.

Went for BTEC and really enjoyed the way which it is taught - much more freedom akin to that of university.

I went to Sheffield Hallam having not got into the University of Sheffield and wanted to stay at home, though I did get into another 'RG' uni. Currently doing PG MSc.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending