The Student Room Group

M1, M2 and M3 modules for an Engineering course. Necessary

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TeeEm
You will not get in with straight Maths to top universities.

Minimum is further AS which must include M2 and M3.

My advice was so a student gets in the comfort zone when you go to University.

At university the teaching is non existent and this makes no sense to most students until they get there.

Student last year went to Cambridge
He did 16 modules only able to cash 15

Current Student (applied to Cambridge, UCL, Southampton, Bristol, Bath)
doing 9 modules.

PS
Top university is again very personal opinion
Is Sheffield a top University? (example)
Not in my opinion but it may be for the majority.

What about manchester? In ur opinon
Reply 21
Original post by naxiv
What about manchester? In ur opinon

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3001705&p=52574211#post52574211

there is a quote in this thread about universities and my opinion (a bit long to retype)

Manchester is Russel Group so it is in the "premier league".
I have made a football analogy in that thread.
Reply 22
Original post by TeeEm
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3001705&p=52574211#post52574211

there is a quote in this thread about universities and my opinion (a bit long to retype)

Manchester is Russel Group so it is in the "premier league".
I have made a football analogy in that thread.

Premier league isnt really fair, it implies there's nothing good outside it. But the top unis are mostly RG true
Reply 23
Original post by TVIO
Premier league isnt really fair, it implies there's nothing good outside it. But the top unis are mostly RG true

This is not about fair or no fair ..
This is about a personal opinion and I am sure you have yours.

Possibly dogmatic but I do not look at league tables, these are rubbish.
It is all about branding and possibly more skewed towards internationally branding.

My standards are perhaps too high.
Top four Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL
Then Warwick, LSE, Bristol, Kings, Durham
then the rest of the RG
then the rest.

Simply my opinion and I fully respect your if it differs from mine.
I did m1 and m2... its was a big jump in-between and i was told its even bigger between m2 and m3!

All the best!
M1 is enough - there is good teaching at uni in many Engineering degrees as some require lecturers to have teaching qualifications.

Engineering degrees vary a lot and I would also look beyond RG if you are wanting to go into Industry.

'Top' has many variables e.g. to get into F1 the top provider is Oxford Brookes not Oxbridge or Imperial.
Original post by oopsiamsobusted
I did m1 and m2... its was a big jump in-between and i was told its even bigger between m2 and m3!

All the best!

Im doing M1, M2,M3 and I dont see big jumps esp between M2 and M3 as some M3 topics are extensions of M2 ones. The rest of the topics like SMH and Hookes Law are all done in physics so I'd say that if you do physics and enjoy calculus then mechanics modules won't be exactly rocket science:wink:

In terms of what the OP is saying, you dont have to them but I believe they will help you (atleast first year)
Reply 27
Original post by bigboateng
Im doing M1, M2,M3 and I dont see big jumps esp between M2 and M3 as some M3 topics are extensions of M2 ones. The rest of the topics like SMH and Hookes Law are all done in physics so I'd say that if you do physics and enjoy calculus then mechanics modules won't be exactly rocket science:wink:

In terms of what the OP is saying, you dont have to them but I believe they will help you (atleast first year)

To be honest, I did Physics A-level and only a very small part of it was useful (only a handful of topics) the rest was a waste of time really. I'm doing mechanical engineering.
Original post by bigboateng

thats because I dont do physics after GCSEs :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest