The Student Room Group

James Bond to become black? Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

I'd have been happier if it was a different black male actor, I don't think he's as good as everyone keeps saying.

I liked him in the beginning but now it's just getting ridiculous.
Does this mean half of the movie is going to be set in KFC?
Original post by Kappacino
Does this mean half of the movie is going to be set in KFC?

Corny.
Original post by Bames
Oh not Idris Elba, I couldn't give two hoots about Bond's colour but Elba is not even classically trained, in fact Daniel Craig is not a Bond either;blonde, a little pug faced, if Timothy Dalton could take youth serum, or the Irish actor Micheal Fassbender would be good Keanu Reeves if too he could take youth serum and develop a decent british accent ditto Tom Cruise.

Idris is not a capable actor but Keanu Reeves, the biggest joke of hollywood, is?
Reply 224
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I'd have been happier if it was a different black male actor, I don't think he's as good as everyone keeps saying.

I liked him in the beginning but now it's just getting ridiculous.

the thing is Idriss Elba has a very limited range, years ago he was good in the Wire but the movie with beyonce and a Luthor was total trash, he did a little ok for his cameo role in Thor but real acting chops were not needed in that. People have this idea that acting is easy it is not it is a skill and an art it why it is very easy to see early on who is classically trained and who is not, look at that Kiera Knightly other than period dramas she is wooden. James McAvoy could play Bond if he aged a little more, and bulked up, Nicholas Hoult could play bond in 20 years American actor Joseph Gordon Levitt if he aged more and bulked up.
Original post by Zander01
Wow, didn't know Muhammad Ali was a fictional character. Interesting

He's not, but has been played by black actors in movies..
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
He's not, but has been played by black actors in movies..

Yes because he's black. We're talking about a real person who faced racial prejudices therefore you couldn't change his race in a film. Those barriers don't exist with fictional characters such as James Bond.
Original post by Zander01
Yes because he's black. We're talking about a real person who faced racial prejudices therefore you couldn't change his race in a film. Those barriers don't exist with fictional characters such as James Bond.

James Bond is a created character, but created with certain attributes and traits. One of those is that he is a white man, but am sure you don't care about that since it's not a prejudice... why not just make him a short, fat, elderly black woman while you're at it? since changing traits doesn't seem to matter?
Reply 228
It does not matter weather James Bond is Black, Gay, Trans, mildly Disabled, a Toff or a Chav as long as the actor cast has decent acting ability like Micheal Fassbender, Idriss Elba is quite wooden and Daniel Craig has slaughtered the Bond role, as Noemi Harris who is a decent actor but has made a mockery of that Moneypenny, the film studios got to get a grip.
I think the white James Bond does push the white default thing again. You see it in debates about black hobbits. Whiteness as default is so deeply rooted that when Rue in “The Hunger Games” was played by a black girl (Amandla Stenberg), many were shocked and upset. They had imagined Rue as a white girl. Even though the book said Rue had “dark brown skin and eyes” Or the black guy in new The Star Wars film the crap they are getting on Twitter.

Why do white people apparently require white heroes, icons and saviors ? Only around 12% of the planet is white. Yet Santa is white. Jesus is painted as white. Pretty much every comic book hero is white. Doctor Who is white NOTHING - about the bond character or the Who character demands that.

However a black James Bond ? Happen. Not. Gonna.

The Bond franchise is owned by white Italian-American family (The Broccolis) and over their dead bodies would they cast a black man to play Bond. Plus 95% of the people who now think a black James Bond is a good idea will criticize a black James Bond movie.

What if the black Bond is more violent than the previous white ones ? The series does seem to become more realistic and gritty. Can’t you imagine the reactions ? ‘Racism! Angry Black Man stereotype!’

He's less violent ? “Racism ! They made him docile so he wouldn’t be threatening!’

He has some major character flaw (like alcoholism) ? "Racism ! That’s how they see all black people! The black Bond must have a damaged personality"

He's bland and generic ? "Racism ! Of course the black Bond couldn’t get good writing !"

The (main) Bond girl is black ? "Racism ! Of course the black Bond can only be with a black woman"

Or the much more likely scenario that the (main) Bond girl is white ? "Racism ! They didn’t want to portray black love ! Of course they gave the black Bond a non-black love interest"

And so on, and so on

So in a way, just leave as is..

Do you know what would actually be good for everybody ? Elba teaming up with Steve McQueen, borrowing 70 million from Will Smith, hiring a few black screenwriters and making a spy thriller, a new brand, by black people and for black people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 230
I don't care. James Bond is just like Doctor Who - Overrated crap.
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
James Bond is a created character, but created with certain attributes and traits. One of those is that he is a white man, but am sure you don't care about that since it's not a prejudice... why not just make him a short, fat, elderly black woman while you're at it? since changing traits doesn't seem to matter?

And how does being white make a difference to being black?

You see, your idiotic logic isn't working vey well here because a short, fat elderly black women probably couldnt have the skills to be a spy and certainly couldn't be a womaniser could they?

At least try and use some common sense
Original post by Bames
It does not matter weather James Bond is Black, Gay, Trans, mildly Disabled, a Toff or a Chav as long as the actor cast has decent acting ability like Micheal Fassbender, Idriss Elba is quite wooden and Daniel Craig has slaughtered the Bond role, as Noemi Harris who is a decent actor but has made a mockery of that Moneypenny, the film studios got to get a grip.

The way white people like you, like to throw everyone under the same bus - EG (Gay, Trans gender, Disabled)

As if they are the same thing ?

It does not matter what the group is. Gays ? All that means is The white gays are on top and the black gays on the bottom. Disabled ? The white disabled people are on top, and the black disabled people on the bottom

Some say it's class (Chav etc) all that means is whites are the upper class and blacks are the lower class.

It makes no difference what the system is. you have white gays who can't stand black people. You have white chavs who can't stand black people. You have white disabled people who can't stand black people.

So quit doing that, lumping everyone in the same group like, everyone is holding hands.

No. Every group, every society, has racism so thick you can cut it with a knife.
Reply 233
Original post by LeHursty
By most of the peoples logic, if they made a new harry potter film in which harry was indian, or a new series of luther in which luther is now played by a white man, theyd be okay with it, but i highly doubt that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once again, people are ignoring the continuity (or lack thereof) argument :rolleyes:

N.B. I personally wouldn't give a ___ , but then I've never watched either of those series
Reply 234
Original post by LeHursty
By most of the peoples logic, if they made a new harry potter film in which harry was indian, or a new series of luther in which luther is now played by a white man, theyd be okay with it, but i highly doubt that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shut up. Hari Patel and the Order of Stereotypes is going to be an ACE film!
Original post by Modern Casanova
I don't know really ... I couldn't say yes or no to be honest. It just does seem a bit strange.

Thoughts on this?

Is there a source for this or is this just bull**** for bull****'s sake?
Reply 236
Original post by CarlNorthWest
The way white people like you, like to throw everyone under the same bus - EG (Gay, Trans gender, Disabled)

As if they are the same thing ?

It does not matter what the group is. Gays ? All that means is The white gays are on top and the black gays on the bottom. Disabled ? The white disabled people are on top, and the black disabled people on the bottom

Some say it's class (Chav etc) all that means is whites are the upper class and blacks are the lower class.

It makes no difference what the system is. you have white gays who can't stand black people. You have white chavs who can't stand black people. You have white disabled people who can't stand black people.

So quit doing that, lumping everyone in the same group like, everyone is holding hands.

No. Every group, every society, has racism so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Sorry sir, I am struggling to understand where all that has come from, you just yelled at me for no reason, clam down for goodness sake. Can we get back to the subject at hand which is Idriss Elba ok for playing Bond? which is no, why because he has a very limited acting range and he not really a bankable star, he has made quite a few flops.
Reply 237
Original post by Yawn!
I don't care. James Bond is just like Doctor Who - Overrated crap.

Excuse Young one, but you have just blasphemed Doctor Who forever.
Reply 238
Not trying to hijack thread but, what does everyone think here of Sean Connery coming back and playing ‘M’ I think it would be spectacular
Original post by Messiah Complex
Good. Idris Elba would make a great Bond.

Shame. I'd rather they got rid of him now about brought Elba in. Craig has always seemed strange as Bond to me because he doesn't seem to have any authoritive demeanour about him. If he were a teacher you'd probably think he was a supply you could mug off whereas Elba would get your respect instantly.

Craig is by far the most realistic incarnation the series has had since Connery. I'm glad he's got another 2 films in it.

Original post by Tai Ga
hmmm haven't seen any of the people complaining about a black james bond echoing similar sentiments regarding the all white cast of exodus, or 21, or the fact that white people were cast in the live adaptation of Avatar when literally no one is white in the cartoon, and two of the main characters were dark skinned.

The hypocrisy is amusing. Hollywood whitewashes everything it can get it's hands on lol.

Because Exodus is a ****ing gash film with no redeeming features. James Bond on the other hand has a cultural and historical name to it that can't just become black over night. Now I wouldn't mind if Elba was to play Bond if he can pull off a convincing character, but making him black for the sake of the need for change is ridiculous and kills the franchise. Look what happened when Lazenby, the first non-Brit to play Bond, came along. The same can be said for the abysmal performance of Brosnan, an American with a superficial British-charm that resulted in a series of campy movies. Would you be happy for something you enjoy to be made different simply because multiculturalism demanded it?

And how does Hollywood 'whitewash everything it can get its hands on'? Look at the amount of awards that go to films concerning or involving minority groups: Dallas Buyers Club; 12 Years a Slave (which was incredibly overrated); Gravity. All films of the 86th Academy Awards that swept the oscars.

And so what if Hollywood uses lots of white actors? I'd rather see a movie that was good and made good because it didn't cast someone simply because of their race over a film that needed some PC standard to adhere to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending