The Student Room Group

How to set up speaker set

I'm in need of help for setting up my brother's speakers.

His TV doesn't have an audio jack (apparently it's too big), so we're trying to connect them through the white and red RCA cable jacks on the back of his TV. When I plugged those in, nothing seemed to happen; sound continues to play through his TV, not the speakers. What's going on?

FYI the speakers are set up so that the right speaker plugs into the left one, and the left one plugs into the subwoofer. The subwoofer then plugs into the back of his TV through the one RCA cable right now
(edited 9 years ago)
Is there a configuration option on the TV that allows you to route the sound output through the external speakers?
Reply 2
Original post by Crydamoure
Is there a configuration option on the TV that allows you to route the sound output through the external speakers?

We've just been looking through the audio settings for that and can't find anything. It's a 32" LG TV, if that helps
Original post by Green_Otaku
We've just been looking through the audio settings for that and can't find anything. It's a 32" LG TV, if that helps

If you know the model number or anything else that might help me to narrow down which particular one it is, that'd be awesome.

Is there nothing on the remote either that allows you to change sound output? And are you sure the RCA's on the TV are output and not input?
Reply 4
If you know the model number or anything else that might help me to narrow down which particular one it is, that'd be awesome.

Is there nothing on the remote either that allows you to change sound output? And are you sure the RCA's on the TV are output and not input?

http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-32CS460#

That's the model, and you can find the manual for it on that page. There's nothing on the remote, but as for the RCAs it says right next to where I plugged them into the back of the TV "COMPONENT IN," if that means anything to you.
Right. That means you've plugged the speakers into an input - because the speakers are input-requiring devices themselves, this will not work. Think of it in terms of magnets, where same ones repel.

From what I can see of your TV on the internet, it doesn't appear to have ANY external audio output. Although, for cheaper TVs these days this is usually the case.

So, it appears you're stuck I'm afraid. Sorry!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Right. That means you've plugged the speakers into an input - because the speakers are input devices themselves, this will not work. Think of it in terms of magnets, where same ones repel.

From what I can see of your TV on the internet, it doesn't appear to have ANY external audio output. Although, for cheaper TVs these days this is usually the case.

So, it appears you're stuck I'm afraid. Sorry!

Damn, that's annoying! Would say a home cinema system that comes with speakers etc. work at all?
Original post by Green_Otaku
Damn, that's annoying! Would say a home cinema system that comes with speakers etc. work at all?

Unfortunately not. It's the TV you're using that's the issue - it has absolutely no audio output to allow you to plug into a set of external speakers whatsoever, whether that's either a pair of PC speakers or a home cinema system.

Only solution would be to buy a new TV that has an audio output capability. :/
Reply 8
Unfortunately not. It's the TV you're using that's the issue - it has absolutely no audio output to allow you to plug into a set of external speakers whatsoever, whether that's either a pair of PC speakers or a home cinema system.

Only solution would be to buy a new TV that has an audio output capability. :/

Man, even my LG TV has a headphone jack that works with speakers and it's a few years older. Oh well, he wasn't too bothered about it really, just a shame after actually getting the speakers all set up.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 9
If the TV has a scart connector you may be able to get audio out from some of the pins on that. You'll need a cable / adapter that allows you to use the output pins.

On the samsung TV's I've used it's possibly to get audio that way however it's only audio for TV channels (you still get the TV audio if it's set to a hdmi input), the audio level may also be independent of the tv volume control.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending