The Student Room Group

How to structure a History essay?

Hi, how would I structure a history essay?
I'm currently studying the edexcel as course on America in South-east asia and African American civil rights, and I keep getting D's because I can't write an essay to save my life.

I know the introduction must have a judgement,
But how do i proceed? What does my conclusion HAVE to have?

Thank youu
Reply 1
Write ten paragraphs of 200 words each. 1st paragraph to introduce, last one to conclude.

Paragraphs must concatenate logically. History has an advantage on other disciplines, that every event happened after another, so the most logical plan is generally chronological. You must try to organise your essay chronologically; if it's impossible, then do it by themes.
Each paragraph must have at least one example, but you usually cannot start with one. The first sentence of each paragraph must be general (the theory), that you then prove/illustrate with facts, figures and examples.

I would strongly suggest that organising essays by themes is often better than chronologically. For example, many questions ask you to identify the most important factors, which is a clear indication that the examiner is looking for the most important ones first.

Also, it is not necessary to write exactly 10 paragraphs, no more no less. A paragraph should consist of several sentences on the same topic, so the number of paragraphs should reflect the number of topics in your essay.
'
Original post by Josb
Write ten paragraphs of 200 words each. 1st paragraph to introduce, last one to conclude.

Paragraphs must concatenate logically. History has an advantage on other disciplines, that every event happened after another, so the most logical plan is generally chronological. You must try to organise your essay chronologically; if it's impossible, then do it by themes.
Each paragraph must have at least one example, but you usually cannot start with one. The first sentence of each paragraph must be general (the theory), that you then prove/illustrate with facts, figures and examples.

Hi, thank you a lot for your response however I'm really confused as how to write the paragraphs in the middle. If you have 8 paragraphs to make you point does that mean you start a different paragraph for each point,evidence and explanation you make.
I normally have about 5,6 paragraphs and thats when I get confused because I fit in as many points as I can but often forget to add evidence and my explanations are all over the place. How would you write a good explanation to your point?
Original post by ageshallnot
I would strongly suggest that organising essays by themes is often better than chronologically. For example, many questions ask you to identify the most important factors, which is a clear indication that the examiner is looking for the most important ones first.

Also, it is not necessary to write exactly 10 paragraphs, no more no less. A paragraph should consist of several sentences on the same topic, so the number of paragraphs should reflect the number of topics in your essay.
'

Thanks for the response, I normally judge on the question for "increasingly involved between a time period" I would write chronologically but if it was something to do with "to what extent did so and so" then it'd be themes.
Original post by chocosensation
Thanks for the response, I normally judge on the question for "increasingly involved between a time period" I would write chronologically but if it was something to do with "to what extent did so and so" then it'd be themes.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by the first part of your response. Could you give an example?

BTW I like what the Monash Uni diagram has to say about the introduction.
Hi, how would I structure a history essay?
I'm currently studying the edexcel as course on America in South-east asia and African American civil rights, and I keep getting D's because I can't write an essay to save my life.

I know the introduction must have a judgement,
But how do i proceed? What does my conclusion HAVE to have?

Thank youu

I am also doing the American Civil Rights course and my average 12 mark question gains me 10, and my average 24 mark question gains me 20. In the 12 markers the first sentence should answer the question (no need for a proper introduction because there isn't time in the exam), so for example if the question is 'why did the Albany campaign fail?' I would begin with, 'There are many reasons why the Albany campaign failed, one of which is...'.

Or, a tactic for questions such as 'Why was there a bus boycott in Montgomery in 1955-1956?' is to write three paragraphs on why there was a bus boycott - to protest against segregated public transport for example - why Montgomery - because that was where Rosa Parks sparked the reaction (can be as simple as this as long as you analyse deeper into this) - why 1955-56 - again because of Rosa Parks as long as you analyse more.

I would usually use three paragraphs thoroughly analysed with a short conclusion surrounding your three points as well as other possible points.

As far as 24 mark questions are concerned, I would usually use a small introduction outlining the situation of the subject in question before going on for all my points in favour of the question usually around three paragraphs, then go on to my points against the question itself around three paragraphs, and finally a paragraph on other factors. So for example, if the question said 'Was the Montgomery Bus Boycott the main reason for desegregation in the South?' I would outline reasons why it was, reasons why it wasn't, and then other causes that could be seen as the reason for desegregation.

I'm sure that this is extremely difficult to understand but it is my preferred method and after a few hit and miss essays is consistently getting my A grades. Hope it helps.
Original post by ageshallnot
I'm not sure I know what you mean by the first part of your response. Could you give an example?

BTW I like what the Monash Uni diagram has to say about the introduction.

Sorry, I didnt realise how many typo's I made
I normally judge on the question, for example if the question asks about a factor or person becoming "increasingly involved between a time period" I would write chronologically. However, if it was something to do with "to what extent did so and so" then it'd structure in themes.
Reply 8
Hi, thank you a lot for your response however I'm really confused as how to write the paragraphs in the middle. If you have 8 paragraphs to make you point does that mean you start a different paragraph for each point,evidence and explanation you make.
I normally have about 5,6 paragraphs and thats when I get confused because I fit in as many points as I can but often forget to add evidence and my explanations are all over the place. How would you write a good explanation to your point?

Well, stop forgetting about it. :biggrin:
You must write a draft before, with the elements that will be included in each paragraph.
What happened before the subject should be explained in the first paragraph, what happened after must be included in the conclusion only.
Reply 9
Hi there, I really struggle with values and limitations on Winston Churchill related sources in my AS history essays. Is there anyone who is a master of values/limitations who would be able to mark some of attempts? Thankyou
Original post by HistoryStudent1
I am also doing the American Civil Rights course and my average 12 mark question gains me 10, and my average 24 mark question gains me 20. In the 12 markers the first sentence should answer the question (no need for a proper introduction because there isn't time in the exam), so for example if the question is 'why did the Albany campaign fail?' I would begin with, 'There are many reasons why the Albany campaign failed, one of which is...'.

Or, a tactic for questions such as 'Why was there a bus boycott in Montgomery in 1955-1956?' is to write three paragraphs on why there was a bus boycott - to protest against segregated public transport for example - why Montgomery - because that was where Rosa Parks sparked the reaction (can be as simple as this as long as you analyse deeper into this) - why 1955-56 - again because of Rosa Parks as long as you analyse more.

I would usually use three paragraphs thoroughly analysed with a short conclusion surrounding your three points as well as other possible points.

As far as 24 mark questions are concerned, I would usually use a small introduction outlining the situation of the subject in question before going on for all my points in favour of the question usually around three paragraphs, then go on to my points against the question itself around three paragraphs, and finally a paragraph on other factors. So for example, if the question said 'Was the Montgomery Bus Boycott the main reason for desegregation in the South?' I would outline reasons why it was, reasons why it wasn't, and then other causes that could be seen as the reason for desegregation.

I'm sure that this is extremely difficult to understand but it is my preferred method and after a few hit and miss essays is consistently getting my A grades. Hope it helps.

Hi, thanks for your reply, could you give me examples of a conclusion you put at the end of each paragraph. The evidence you'd use for the Montgomery Bus boycott being a positive reason for desegregation.
I understand your structure because its similar to the structure I used in my GCSE's, but my teachers have all stressed the difference in A-levels and that led to me trying to change and understand a different structure.
Hi, thanks for your reply, could you give me examples of a conclusion you put at the end of each paragraph. The evidence you'd use for the Montgomery Bus boycott being a positive reason for desegregation.
I understand your structure because its similar to the structure I used in my GCSE's, but my teachers have all stressed the difference in A-levels and that led to me trying to change and understand a different structure.

I think there may be a difference between our AS levels because my exam board is AQA :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending