The Student Room Group

Gene transcription

The product of gene transcription is:
A) snRNA
B) tRNA
C) rRNA
D) mRNA
E) any of the above

Why is the answer any of the above? should't it be mRNA ?
Reply 1
"Transcription" just refers to the process where RNA polymerase moves along DNA and synthesises a complimentary RNA strand. RNA polymerase II synthesises the mRNA (this is the one most textbooks will focus on), polymerase I makes most rRNAs and polymerase III synthesises the rest.
Original post by kanra
"Transcription" just refers to the process where RNA polymerase moves along DNA and synthesises a complimentary RNA strand. RNA polymerase II synthesises the mRNA (this is the one most textbooks will focus on), polymerase I makes most rRNAs and polymerase III synthesises the rest.

aha. Thanks a ton!

So say snRNA, it is considered as one of the products of transcription right?

I always thought that transcription produces mRNA only.
Reply 3
Original post by Daniel Atieh
aha. Thanks a ton!

So say snRNA, it is considered as one of the products of transcription right?

I always thought that transcription produces mRNA only.

Yep!

The product of transcription is actually RNA, and mRNA, tRNA, snRNA, piRNA, miRNA, rRNA etc. are all types of RNA that have their unique roles in the cell.
Original post by kanra
Yep!

The product of transcription is actually RNA, and mRNA, tRNA, snRNA, piRNA, miRNA, rRNA etc. are all types of RNA that have their unique roles in the cell.

Many thanks!
are you doing AS biology...do we need to know this because its not on the spec :s-smilie: and btw are you Lebanese? joseph attieh rocks lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending