The Student Room Group

Which computer degree to study at university ?

What should i study ?

1. Computer Systems Engineering at university of Birmingham
2. Computer science at Aston, Coventry or Birmingham city university
3.Computer Hardware and Software Engineering at Coventry university.
Take it you haven't applied yet - have you had a look at Derby and Northumbria for their computer science and related courses? - good scholarships and bursaries at Northumbria and its computer science ranking has risen above Reading and Coventry - check out the course modules - a lot of the accommodation at Coventry looked a bit grim tbh,Northumbria very good and prices good too.
Reply 2
Original post by Minionmum
Take it you haven't applied yet - have you had a look at Derby and Northumbria for their computer science and related courses? - good scholarships and bursaries at Northumbria and its computer science ranking has risen above Reading and Coventry - check out the course modules - a lot of the accommodation at Coventry looked a bit grim tbh,Northumbria very good and prices good too.

Hi i'm from Birmingham and dont plan on moving due to the costs. I want to know which course would be the best option thanks.
Original post by ali328
Hi i'm from Birmingham and dont plan on moving due to the costs. I want to know which course would be the best option thanks.

You will need to look at the course modules then and see what others experiences of those particular courses and unis are - good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by Minionmum
You will need to look at the course modules then and see what others experiences of those particular courses and unis are - good luck.

How much of the computer science course is based on hardware?.
Original post by ali328
How much of the computer science course is based on hardware?.

Again, the modules will vary from Uni to Uni - but they will all share some common modules- some Unis share a common 1st year,meaning that you could switch from Computer games programming to computer science or computer networks with cyber security at Derby for instance - (I think this is the same for Coventry (but don't quote me on this) - at Northumbria the Computer Science doesn't share a common 1st year with Ethical Hacking for Cyber security say,but it has been known for people to change after the 1st year if the Uni allows it.You have the right idea checking everything out as early as you can - but in the end you will have to go with your gut feeling of which Uni and course will be right for you - a visit to an open day and a taster lesson,plus a good look around the computer lab and the equipment they are using (Derby have just put in new computers for instance).In your final year you will have optional modules to choose - networks in some form or other are usually in there.
Birmingham has a fantastic reputation and I read a post on here today about Computer Science post university - a guy who had graduated from there (I think earlier this year) tells you all about it - good luck with your final choices.
Reply 7
What's the difference in computer systems engineering and computer science and will I still be able to do a master in software engineering.
Hi there, if you have any specific questions about Aston, Student Life or Birmingham in general i would be happy to help you.
Reply 9
Out of those choices I'd pick university of Birmingham, best reputation and the course looks brilliant. Also Coventry and Aston are good back up choices.
Reply 10
What's there computer science teaching like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending