The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bude8
I don't think so, he said it took him about 4/5 years to get it to where he is now. No one is born knowing how our system of music works, so if people are 'born' with it then perhaps it's because their mind is better suited to it or something :dontknow:

Can you do melodies too? What if they're quite quick? E.g. the guitar at the start of this video:
[video="youtube;mZKrwJzGg0k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZKrwJzGg0k[/video]

Messing around on that perfect pitch app, I'm starting to get to the point where my body subconsciously moves to press the right note without me thinking about it :redface: can't do it 100% of the time though, still need to think for some of them :lol:

That's always impressive, but can you do it pretty much instantly without having to play around with it?

Depends. If you told me the key and starting note I could probably do it first time, if not then it might take me a moment to work those out but after that I could play it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
As in could I sing it back ? I don't see why not, I've never met something I couldn't do that with -will watch the video when I go upstairs probably about an hour :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if you could sing it back then I assume you can name the notes too :lol: word of warning though, the intro requires a 7 string guitar so it's very low :lol:
Original post by furryface12
Depends. If you told me the key and starting note I could probably do it first time, if not then it might take me a moment to work those out but after that I could play it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, always blows my mind when people can just do that :eek:
Sleepy time....

Ill be back in a few hours :rolleyes:
Original post by Bude8
Yup, always blows my mind when people can just do that :eek:

I've always been able to do it, no idea why! :redface:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Sleepy time....

Ill be back in a few hours :rolleyes:

At least you sleep. I got an hour and a half last night and that's not even unusual for me :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least you sleep. I got an hour and a half last night and that's not even unusual for me :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think it'll take you long to be able to identify key signatures and to then play things back within seconds?
Hey did I hear a band forming? Cos I have perfect pitch \o/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for being slow onto the bandwagon, but a peer with perfect pitch! :h: I was utterly surprised when someone told me I had perfect pitch, I thought everyone had it but turns out it's pretty rare (well at least among my fellow musicians I only know of one, and she taught herself). When did you realise you had perfect pitch?
Original post by Bude8
Do you think it'll take you long to be able to identify key signatures and to then play things back within seconds?

Think that'd come with perfect pitch really, like earlier when you were saying C Eb Ab Bb F or whatever I immediately thought F minor so I know the theory, I just can't name the notes when I hear them. When I'm playing by ear I do it all by the relationship between them, same as if I'm sight-singing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Non posso dormire :frown:
Original post by lyra13
Sorry for being slow onto the bandwagon, but a peer with perfect pitch! :h: I was utterly surprised when someone told me I had perfect pitch, I thought everyone had it but turns out it's pretty rare (well at least among my fellow musicians I only know of one, and she taught herself). When did you realise you had perfect pitch?

Wikipedia says 1 in 10000 have it :redface: How developed is your PP?

Think that'd come with perfect pitch really, like earlier when you were saying C Eb Ab Bb F or whatever I immediately thought F minor so I know the theory, I just can't name the notes when I hear them. When I'm playing by ear I do it all by the relationship between them, same as if I'm sight-singing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I had perfect pitch so I could understand what it's like :lol: I wonder if it's just a stream of letters in your head :redface:
Original post by Bude8

That's a crazy statistic, thanks for it though! (never actually thought to look it up :laugh:)
I'd say rather developed? I can identify pretty much straight after it's played, sing a note if named or on sheet music, but chords need to be played a few times or spread for me to identify. Takes a bit longer to identify key as well, I'd identify which notes were sharp/flat and then use my theory knowledge to work it out.

Original post by Bude8
I wish I had perfect pitch so I could understand what it's like :lol: I wonder if it's just a stream of letters in your head :redface:

For me it's more instinctive, like recognising a familiar smell, you just instantly know what it is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Non posso dormire :frown:

How fast do you normally get to sleep if you're saying that already?! :eek: Or maybe it's just me that's weird cus I'm used to it taking hours :colondollar:

Original post by Bude8

Same! Although people I've spoken to with it just seem to find it annoying in that respect because nothing ever sounds right, guess you would after a while :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyra13
That's a crazy statistic, thanks for it though! (never actually thought to look it up :laugh:)
I'd say rather developed? I can identify pretty much straight after it's played, sing a note if named or on sheet music, but chords need to be played a few times or spread for me to identify. Takes a bit longer to identify key as well, I'd identify which notes were sharp/flat and then use my theory knowledge to work it out.

For me it's more instinctive, like recognising a familiar smell, you just instantly know what it is.

I kind of get the instinct, since I'm slowly developing it (it sometimes kicks in and it's only for one note though :frown: don't know if it'll ever develop with chords) so I'd love to be able to do it for melodies etc.

My friend with PP plays the guitar and said he finds using his PP with piano a bit harder, which I think is weird since you have more voices with a guitar... But naming chords on a piano he can do it completely accurately with a few seconds of thinking. Melodies on the guitar however, he can pretty much duplicate it straight away.

Could you tune a guitar without tuners?

And I had a little stalk - hello fellow IB student :five: :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How fast do you normally get to sleep if you're saying that already?! :eek: Or maybe it's just me that's weird cus I'm used to it taking hours :colondollar:

Same! Although people I've spoken to with it just seem to find it annoying in that respect because nothing ever sounds right, guess you would after a while :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend isn't at the point where he can name notes of every day objects, but his music teacher can (he's actually the author of an A2 Music textbook!). He does tell me that some people playing instruments like the violin can't form notes properly and it's unpleasant to listen to though, which is pretty incredible since the people playing don't know :confused: apparently PP fades with age though - I don't know if his teacher said that just to get sympathy or what :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
I kind of get the instinct, since I'm slowly developing it (it sometimes kicks in and it's only for one note though :frown: don't know if it'll ever develop with chords) so I'd love to be able to do it for melodies etc.

My friend with PP plays the guitar and said he finds using his PP with piano a bit harder, which I think is weird since you have more voices with a guitar... But naming chords on a piano he can do it completely accurately with a few seconds of thinking. Melodies on the guitar however, he can pretty much duplicate it straight away.

Could you tune a guitar without tuners?

And I had a little stalk - hello fellow IB student :five: :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's definitely achievable, you've just got to keep working on it!

That's so weird, is guitar his first instrument? I think I find chords harder because I learned piano and violin first - it's just simply what you get accustomed to.

Yes, I remember getting a guitar tuner when I bought my guitar, and being thoroughly confused by it's purpose - I really feel ya if you have to use one, I attempted to and it was an absolute pain! I tune both my violin and guitar by ear.

Haha on a more academic note, hello IBer! :laugh: I'm dying right now, because we have two weeks of mocks when we go back and I have not revised the slightest!
Original post by Bude8
My friend isn't at the point where he can name notes of every day objects, but his music teacher can (he's actually the author of an A2 Music textbook!). He does tell me that some people playing instruments like the violin can't form notes properly and it's unpleasant to listen to though, which is pretty incredible since the people playing don't know :confused: apparently PP fades with age though - I don't know if his teacher said that just to get sympathy or what :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's be a good point to have it I think, as you'd only do it when you wanted to! Yeah it's the same on most instruments to a certain extent, strings more so though obviously as you can put your fingers anywhere on the string rather than only on certain keys. I can never understand how people can be playing out of tune for ages and not notice, particularly when they're in a group! Maybe I've just got used to listening for it in myself, but like where you mentioned to someone else about tuning a guitar without a tuner I can do that and don't even play the guitar! :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyra13

Yeah that was the same for me, i merely put it down to a strange way that my memory was working :tongue: it was a combination of my singing teacher and dad noticing :smile: one lesson I was working on a song and she said "is this one a bit too high for you? Let's try it down a semitone" so I started it again before she pressed the backing track, then she started testing me like " Sing me a top A" and we just did that for the rest of the lesson xD

Edit: am also unsually good picking out harmonies etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lyra13
It's definitely achievable, you've just got to keep working on it!

That's so weird, is guitar his first instrument? I think I find chords harder because I learned piano and violin first - it's just simply what you get accustomed to.

Yes, I remember getting a guitar tuner when I bought my guitar, and being thoroughly confused by it's purpose - I really feel ya if you have to use one, I attempted to and it was an absolute pain! I tune both my violin and guitar by ear.

Haha on a more academic note, hello IBer! :laugh: I'm dying right now, because we have two weeks of mocks when we go back and I have not revised the slightest!

I love learning things, it's definitely something I'll be trying to grasp in my life time :tongue:

To be honest, I don't actually know even though he's one of my best mates. I didn't know he played the saxophone until after 3 years of knowing him :redface: but seeing his PP in action always leaves me amazed, especially when he could tell I wasn't playing my guitar properly over a Skype call! I wasn't focusing and played a song starting two frets higher than usual and he picked it up instantly... So how does PP work when you are playing the piano? Does it sort of just run in the background while you are playing? I couldn't tell you 99.99% of the notes in the songs I know unless I thought about them which would take a while since I'm learning from videos and fret numbers :colondollar: thankfully my amp has a built in tuner, thank goodness for technology eh :wink:

My mocks start on Monday and last a week, haven't done too much revision :colondollar: I've also got my English IOC second week back and ToK presentation third week back, but at least my EE is done! What subjects do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that was the same for me, i merely put it down to a strange way that my memory was working :tongue: it was a combination of my singing teacher and dad noticing :smile: one lesson I was working on a song and she said "is this one a bit too high for you? Let's try it down a semitone" so I started it again before she pressed the backing track, then she started testing me like " Sing me a top A" and we just did that for the rest of the lesson xD

Edit: am also unsually good picking out harmonies etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having done music for about 7 years, I finally decided to look up what exactly a harmony is :colondollar: at least now I know :lol: but what exactly do you mean by picking out harmonies?

Edit: kind of get what you mean, I can't spot harmonies at all :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bude8
Having done music for about 7 years, I finally decided to look up what exactly a harmony is :colondollar: at least now I know :lol: but what exactly do you mean by picking out harmonies?

Edit: kind of get what you mean, I can't spot harmonies at all :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if I heard a straight melody I'd be able to harmonise virtually straight away, above & below :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest