The Student Room Group

A Levels

Hi. I started college in September 14. The subjects I am taking at college are English Language, Health and Social, Travel and Tourism and Photography. I came to college to mostly do English Language and Health and Social and have Travel and Tourism and Photography as side subjects as there were no other subjects which interested me and I thought if I take them then I can probably get the majority of UCAS points out of them (I will drop travel and tourism or photography at the end of AS) and work the hardest in English and health and social. I have looked online about travel and tourism and photography and it says that they are not good A-Levels and I am worried that they will stop my from getting into university as I have read that they are risky subjects. Is this true?
(edited 9 years ago)
I think Health and Social Care, Travel and Tourism, and Photography are all seen as 'weak' subjects. However, you will still be able to get into some unis with these subjects
Original post by anonwinner
I think Health and Social Care, Travel and Tourism, and Photography are all seen as 'weak' subjects. However, you will still be able to get into some unis with these subjects

I took Health and Social because it was one of the subjects which opened up the most job options as I am uncertain what I want to do when I'm older. So only some unis will let me in?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by katherinerath
I took Health and Social because it was one of the subjects which opened up the most job options as I am uncertain what I want to do when I'm older. So only some unis will let me in?

If you look here on the Trinity College website: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations it lists the subjects that would only be appropriate to take as a fourth subject (which includes Health and Social Care, Travel and Tourism, and Photography), and the other 3 subjects would have to come from lists A1, A2, and B. However, this is just one very selective college and it does not represent most universities.

The Russel Group website says that subjects that can be viewed as facilitating subjects (make getting into university easier) are: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, History, Geography, Modern and Classical languages, and English Literature.
If you look here on the Trinity College website: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations it lists the subjects that would only be appropriate to take as a fourth subject (which includes Health and Social Care, Travel and Tourism, and Photography), and the other 3 subjects would have to come from lists A1, A2, and B. However, this is just one very selective college and it does not represent most universities.

The Russel Group website says that subjects that can be viewed as facilitating subjects (make getting into university easier) are: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, History, Geography, Modern and Classical languages, and English Literature.

Oh okay, yes, I looked at that university and read that it was very selective.
Next year I was thinking about taking up another option to have an AS in which will then look better.
I also read that eng lit was better than eng lang which I didn't agree with as the terminology used is a lot more complex than lit as my brother took it at A Level.

What if I was to do an access course after college?
Oh okay, yes, I looked at that university and read that it was very selective.
Next year I was thinking about taking up another option to have an AS in which will then look better.
I also read that eng lit was better than eng lang which I didn't agree with as the terminology used is a lot more complex than lit as my brother took it at A Level.

What if I was to do an access course after college?

I don't really know much about access courses sorry, you could check specific university requirements to see if they mention access courses :frown:

Which courses and which universities are you thinking of applying to?
I don't really know much about access courses sorry, you could check specific university requirements to see if they mention access courses :frown:

Which courses and which universities are you thinking of applying to?

Okay, no problem.

I have looked at Cardiff Met and study English or if I did the access course go into something to do with sport at Cardiff Met. I had a careers meeting with my college and said I am able to do that. (I haven't looked at many unis yet)
(edited 9 years ago)
Okay, no problem.

I have looked at Cardiff Met and study English or if I did the access course go into something to do with sport at Cardiff Met. I had a careers meeting with my college and said I am able to do that. (I haven't looked at many unis yet)

The English and Creative Writing undergrad degree at Cardiff Met requires 260 UCAS tariff points from at least 2 A levels with 1 B grade. So as long as you get that you should have a good chance of getting an offer! :smile:
The English and Creative Writing undergrad degree at Cardiff Met requires 260 UCAS tariff points from at least 2 A levels with 1 B grade. So as long as you get that you should have a good chance of getting an offer! :smile:

would 260 UCAS points be an average amount someone for to get?
It's mainly only top universities such as Oxford, Cambridge and London School of Economics, that look at the grades and the subjects. I wouldn't say that Travel & Tourism and Photography are 'week' subjects, but that they are 'less traditional' ones. Like I said, its only really the top universities who wan't 'traditional' subjects, which we have come to terms with as 'facilitating' subjects. Most of the other universities want points, rather than grades or specific subjects (unless applying for specific courses such as medicine, then you will be required to have science subjects). I would see which one you like more at the end of AS and drop the other. I don't think you will really have a problem getting into university because of your subject choice. :smile:

260 UCAS points is BCC at A-Level

260 ucas points is BCC ...

No don't listen to the [edited out] on here. As long as you get good grades the top unis will not care. Only exceptions are London unis and oxbridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by fudgecake22
No don't listen to the [edited out] on here. As long as you get good grades the top unis will not care. Only exceptions are London unis and oxbridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Top unis won't care...except the top unis. U wot m8?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TVIO
Top unis won't care...except the top unis. U wot m8?

Top unis apart from those mentioned ... go search russell group

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by fudgecake22
Top unis apart from those mentioned ... go search russell group

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's tiers within the top and the golden triangle (maybe minus kings) is the very top tier. Russell group and a few others are the next down but they certainly care about which subjects you take. Google 'facilitating subjects'
It's true that you have no facilitating subjects. But, how much this matters depends on what you want to do.

English Lit/English may be tricky to get into some universities, but you should be fine for Creative Writing or similar. You could also get into arts courses with Photography, and nursing-type courses with Health and Social Care.
Original post by LuiEmmitt
It's mainly only top universities such as Oxford, Cambridge and London School of Economics, that look at the grades and the subjects. I wouldn't say that Travel & Tourism and Photography are 'week' subjects, but that they are 'less traditional' ones. Like I said, its only really the top universities who wan't 'traditional' subjects, which we have come to terms with as 'facilitating' subjects. Most of the other universities want points, rather than grades or specific subjects (unless applying for specific courses such as medicine, then you will be required to have science subjects). I would see which one you like more at the end of AS and drop the other. I don't think you will really have a problem getting into university because of your subject choice. :smile:

oh phew okay that's great! thank you!:smile:

I agree.

Quick Reply

Latest