The Student Room Group

Ladies, what would you say makes a man damaged goods?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by colourtheory
*Ahem* Ladies and gentlemen, no? Not to be preachy or anything but this thread is a little heteronormative; I'm gay so view men slightly differently as potential partners...

I really don't think there's such as a thing as 'damaged goods' because in all fairness, humans are complex and everyone has their vices, history, pain and traits which is the result of simply being alive. To write somebody off as 'damaged goods' has the problem of white washing anything positive that they can offer you; by allowing your vision of somebody to be tainted to such an extent means that you can miss both the negative and positive things which make them who they are, and consequently beautiful. Isn't the whole point of love that it's unconditional and can't be helped?

As Marilyn Monroe famously said, 'I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.'

Ah yes, the infamously misinterpreted quote which gave the selfie generation an entitlement complex bigger than the Eiffel Tower and capacities for hypocritical doublethink more extreme than 1984. :yes:

I agree with what you're saying in the first 2 paras but goddamn man, that quote is cancer
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow what a stigma against mental health. Need to educate yourselves.
History of infidelity. If you can't keep it in your pants, you're a waste of time.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::dancing:

Ah yes, the infamously misinterpreted quote which gave the selfie generation an entitlement complex bigger than the Eiffel Tower and capacities for hypocritical doublethink more extreme than 1984. :yes:

I agree with what you're saying in the first 2 paras but goddamn man, that quote is cancer

Oh for goodness sake, the quote here supports my argument! There is no entitlement complex implied at all; the whole point of my argument, and that of the quote, is to highlight the need for self confidence and a sense of self worth which can protect oneself from the harsh expectations propagated by the sexualised and often superficial society in which we live. We want women to be beautiful but uncomplicated, engaging but not intellectually challenging etc. etc. Can you not see how society itself presents people with a whole host of expectations which we cannot hope to fulfil?

Please don't use intellectual snobbery as a way to boost your own ego at the expense of others; you don't come across as superior in any way, rather just plain rude.
Reply 44
Original post by Quady
So being the product of an incest relationship would be ok?

Gosh I didn't even think about that... I guess not.

Original post by JemC
Yeah pretty much, although I could deal with the formally depressed. However to add, someone who cheated or domestically abused another would be classed as damaged ( yes ironic).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I agree. It's one of those things you might never actually find out until you really like the person. But if I knew that they cheated, I wouldn't want to stand in line.
*Ahem* Ladies and gentlemen, no? Not to be preachy or anything but this thread is a little heteronormative; I'm gay so view men slightly differently as potential partners...

I really don't think there's such as a thing as 'damaged goods' because in all fairness, humans are complex and everyone has their vices, history, pain and traits which is the result of simply being alive. To write somebody off as 'damaged goods' has the problem of white washing anything positive that they can offer you; by allowing your vision of somebody to be tainted to such an extent means that you can miss both the negative and positive things which make them who they are, and consequently beautiful. Isn't the whole point of love that it's unconditional and can't be helped?

As Marilyn Monroe famously said, 'I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.'

Good lad. First bit of sense on this thread. Although I want to slap you for the quote at the end ha.
Oh for goodness sake, the quote here supports my argument! There is no entitlement complex implied at all; the whole point of my argument, and that of the quote, is to highlight the need for self confidence and a sense of self worth which can protect oneself from the harsh expectations propagated by the sexualised and often superficial society in which we live. We want women to be beautiful but uncomplicated, engaging but not intellectually challenging etc. etc. Can you not see how society itself presents people with a whole host of expectations which we cannot hope to fulfil?

Please don't use intellectual snobbery as a way to boost your own ego at the expense of others; you don't come across as superior in any way, rather just plain rude.

Intellectual snobbery? Mate I'm. closer to a troll lool. I have no intention to be superior to anyone

The quote HAS been misinterpreted and misappropriated. I forgive you might not notice it but it is used solely for women with effect; rarely if ever is a straight man successful in attracting a woman using 'take me as I am' as an argument. The LGBT community is I have noticed more accommodating in this regard; Take Me or Leave Me from Rent springs to mind! Speaking from experience with a few gay/bi friends, the LGBT community has always been more intolerant towards rigid gender roles. Of course it would be, how else could you fight homophobia? Things are less lenient outside of it, for the most part. You are the most progressive.

Without getting too in depth this suggests that straight women are primarily attracted to men's potential and while far from.incapable of unconditional erotic love, it is a rare gem. That is looks, money or status/power is always the trade off. Lack of security financial or emotional is never sexy.

AFAIK and have witnessed many gay men crave this in men like straight women do. The primitive sex drive.within you is largely the same so you take its consequences as collateral damage like women do. Even personality is typically codeword for ambitions towards one of the above.

I can very clearly see how society gives us unrealistic expectations to live up to; I can see third wave feminism slowly removing them for women but a militant sub group enforcing trad gender roles for straightbmen. See for example the popularity or Blank Slate by Taylor Swift, literally a song encouraging women to shamelessly date hot rich players because they're hot, rich and manly...

in short your use of the quote and entire argument appeals to the naive idealist in me and I WANT to be on your side, but I know society is not so even handed and fair. So once again I wish I could agree with you but you seem oblivious to the hypocrisies symbolised by that stupid Facebook quote. :frown:

Basically I agree sexual society is cruel and superficiwl but if you look you get young girls wanting boys to be Ryan Gosling but then if a guy wants her to be a certain way she can shoot 'misogyny!' with the aid of that quot I still hold a bad choice from something we otherwise agree on!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sam Walters
Good lad. First bit of sense on this thread. Although I want to slap you for the quote at the end ha.

Yeah I agree with EVERYTHING he said but the quote is walking hypocrisy in practice lol
Not a big fan of the phrase 'damaged goods' but I'd have issues with a serious drug/drink habit, history of violence etc - I think that's fairly logical!
protip: any girl who refers to mental health problems as 'mental issues' has internalised mental health stigma and at present is a red light no-go zone if you have a mental health condition. Any girl who says 'serious mental health problems' is an amber light, you will find few girls under the age of 21 who will be supportive of a guy with even mild clinical mental health difficulties who has not experienced them herself. Only those who have experienced it or previously supported a close friend/family member with it are a green light and even then break it gently and as if you're on the mend.

It is fair enough to list 'super clingy' 'possessive' 'emotionally abusive' 'ongoing addiction' etc. as deal-breakers but once they say 'mental issues' my heart just drops like a stone :frown: next them. You're worth more than that bro.

Good luck :hugs:

I assume that you possess some form of psychological defection or one of your family members do (in which case, I hope you know that none of this is meant offensively), else you wouldn't spout this nonsensical tripe. Why should a woman want to make her life, or her family's, a struggle to deal with some form of male defective? I assume the topic is alluding to the possibility of a long-term relationship which may well lead to marriage. If so, it must be noted that if one is to marry another, one ought to marry someone whom benefits oneself; in a sane society, this would mean: a man who could protect the woman, could impregnate her and raise good children with her, keep her happy, and share similar interests and views with her (these may wear off on either of them as the relationship progresses). One cannot create a healthy, stable family if the father has psychological defection as this puts the mother and the children at risk from him; and if it is depression, it may well be hereditary. And I can tell you this from my experience with depressed folk: stay well away if you can. Read on the internet what depressed people advice non-depressed people who are in relationships with depressed people to do, and they too will tell you to stay the hell away. Depression spreads like the plague. Unless if you have familial ties to someone with such ailments or possess them yourself, then you really ought to avoid them. Depression cannot be fixed; it oft induces mood-fluctuations and thus can sometimes turn quite nasty (my ex blackmailed me many times with threats of suicide so as to ensure my continuous attention). Thus what solution is more logical if you are not depressed to, as I have made very clear by now, stay the hell away?

Also, why did you bring feminism into this? It is perfectly natural for beings to avoid defected beings in such close ties (long-term relationships and marriage); consider it a survival instinct. And, last time I checked, feminism is rather unnatural.
Original post by Sulfurious
Wow what a stigma against mental health. Need to educate yourselves.

As someone with a history of mental illness and who knows a lot of people who have suffered from mental health issues, I understand it, in my experience the majority of us have a lot of personality faults alongside lack of stability and background issues which are difficult to control. So in my opinion if someone doesn't want to date someone because they have mental health issues, that's a valid reason, as valid as not wanting to be in an LDR or not wanting kids.
Reply 51
Moving between girls homes, fragile pieces need extra care but he's rushing, and becomes a damaged good
Original post by ProudEnglishman
I assume that you possess some form of psychological defection or one of your family members do (in which case, I hope you know that none of this is meant offensively), else you wouldn't spout this nonsensical tripe. Why should a woman want to make her life, or her family's, a struggle to deal with some form of male defective? I assume the topic is alluding to the possibility of a long-term relationship which may well lead to marriage. If so, it must be noted that if one is to marry another, one ought to marry someone whom benefits oneself; in a sane society, this would mean: a man who could protect the woman, could impregnate her and raise good children with her, keep her happy, and share similar interests and views with her (these may wear off on either of them as the relationship progresses). One cannot create a healthy, stable family if the father has psychological defection as this puts the mother and the children at risk from him; and if it is depression, it may well be hereditary. And I can tell you this from my experience with depressed folk: stay well away if you can. Read on the internet what depressed people advice non-depressed people who are in relationships with depressed people to do, and they too will tell you to stay the hell away. Depression spreads like the plague. Unless if you have familial ties to someone with such ailments or possess them yourself, then you really ought to avoid them. Depression cannot be fixed; it oft induces mood-fluctuations and thus can sometimes turn quite nasty (my ex blackmailed me many times with threats of suicide so as to ensure my continuous attention). Thus what solution is more logical if you are not depressed to, as I have made very clear by now, stay the hell away?

Also, why did you bring feminism into this? It is perfectly natural for beings to avoid defected beings in such close ties (long-term relationships and marriage); consider it a survival instinct. And, last time I checked, feminism is rather unnatural.

Holy ****. I'm sorry you have an emotionally unstable ex but just cos I have a condition doesn't mean I don't desire love.

Mental health issues+refuse treatment=stay away

MH+in treatment/managed=why would you not?

People are entitled to reject on MH grounds but still it is a prejudice

This goes for either sex, 'don't stick your dick in crazy' is also incredibly damaging

If you cannot apply this for either sex I call you out as Redpill i.e. telling men to man up and not have medical illness, it's OK for women because they're small weak.and helpless? :rolleyes: Brb telling diabetic friend to man up and stop needing insulin jabs...

Your argument is on a slippery slope to eugenics. What do you propose, the mentally ill are forbidden from fulfilling their sexual desires like paedophiles? How can I not take offence, you just told.me.I need elimination from.the gene pool. O-O
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Helloworld_95
As someone with a history of mental illness and who knows a lot of people who have suffered from mental health issues, I understand it, in my experience the majority of us have a lot of personality faults alongside lack of stability and background issues which are difficult to control. So in my opinion if someone doesn't want to date someone because they have mental health issues, that's a valid reason, as valid as not wanting to be in an LDR or not wanting kids.

So you're basically saying it's our fault for being so emotionally unstable and ****ed up and therefore people should keep calling us mental and psycho and how dare we desire love from normal sane people? Wat.

Don't encourage stigma, help break the stereotype bruh, they're entitled to be prejudiced but don't feed it
is same as having a gold digging cheating ex wife and then saying 'never dating again these hoes ain't loyal'
Reply 54
For the people arguing that mental health problems are a red flag and should be avoided what is your stance on your partner developing them whilst in a relationship with you? Are they only 'damaged goods' if they were ill previous to your relationship?
The amount of people saying mental illnesses makes someone 'damaged goods' is saddening. Mental illnesses come in all sorts of levels and most peoples wont interfere that much with a relationship aside from needing some extra support now and then, and you should be ready to support anyone whether they have a mental illness or not anyway. Although I can understand if you have a difficult mental illness yourself, you may not want to date someone else with a mental illness until you yourself are better. When I had depression and anxiety I would definitely preferred to date someone more 'stable' because I needed a fair amount of support myself anyway, but now everything's much better I'd happily lend my support to someone else with a mental illness. They're not that big of a deal for your friends and partners to have in most cases!
I'll admit I'm damaged goods :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you're basically saying it's our fault for being so emotionally unstable and ****ed up and therefore people should keep calling us mental and psycho and how dare we desire love from normal sane people? Wat.

Don't encourage stigma, help break the stereotype bruh, they're entitled to be prejudiced but don't feed it
is same as having a gold digging cheating ex wife and then saying 'never dating again these hoes ain't loyal'

Where on Earth did I say that? Frankly your irrational response is just proving my point. I said it was understandable for people to have a stigma, not that it was right and I never said it was the fault of mentally Ill people, in fact I said it was the opposite by saying some factors were difficult to control.

Original post by Todot
For the people arguing that mental health problems are a red flag and should be avoided what is your stance on your partner developing them whilst in a relationship with you? Are they only 'damaged goods' if they were ill previous to your relationship?

I'm arguing that it's a red flag if you're about to date or have just started dating someone. Later on is another, more complicated story.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kodlak
Northern Accent is a deal breaker

I dislike them with pass passion! How does one find a northern accent attractive at all
Original post by Helloworld_95
Where on Earth did I say that? Frankly your irrational response is just proving my point. I said it was understandable for people to have a stigma, not that it was right and I never said it was the fault of mentally I'll people, in fact I said it was the opposite by saying some factors were difficult to control.

I'm arguing that it's a red flag if you're about to date or have just started dating someone. Later on is another, more complicated story.

It's understandable yes, but it should not be actively encouraged, and intentionally or not your argument was doing so (when people hold stigma they work on confirmation bias and disregard any counter-arguments)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending