The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachelc142
So if I heard a straight melody I'd be able to harmonise virtually straight away, above & below :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dayum son, I wish I could see into other people's minds and experience what it's like :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
Dayum son, I wish I could see into other people's minds and experience what it's like :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't explain it, I don't even think about it

Ok so my best example is (I just imagined the chorus line to "let it go" from frozen in my head) so trying to pick out a harmony my brain just whizzes up/down the scale super quick to find a corresponding note that compliments it. I'd normally have to hear a melody once and have about 15 seconds to find the harmony. I tend to find the higher one first, lower ones are harder for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok so my best example is (I just imagined the chorus line to "let it go" from frozen in my head) so trying to pick out a harmony my brain just whizzes up/down the scale super quick to find a corresponding note that compliments it. I'd normally have to hear a melody once and have about 15 seconds to find the harmony. I tend to find the higher one first, lower ones are harder for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still not 100% sure what exactly a harmony is, the definition on Google wasn't exactly specific (the combination of simultaneously sounded musical notes to produce a pleasing effect.) so isn't that just whenever there isn't an isolated solo...? The music I mostly listen to is rock/metal and so the bass guitar would be considered the lower harmony, right...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

^this! I've never been able to explain that to people! Except I'm kind of the opposite in that I find the lower ones first- possibly because I'm an alto so am used to singing below the melody?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
^this! I've never been able to explain that to people! Except I'm kind of the opposite in that I find the lower ones first- possibly because I'm an alto so am used to singing below the melody?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's a weird explanation but I'm glad you know dem feels xD
Ahh yeah I was always a first soprano by preference although I could go quite low into the alto range - I bet you're right,it will be to do with that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
Still not 100% sure what exactly a harmony is, the definition on Google wasn't exactly specific (the combination of simultaneously sounded musical notes to produce a pleasing effect.) so isn't that just whenever there isn't an isolated solo...? The music I mostly listen to is rock/metal and so the bass guitar would be considered the lower harmony, right...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So consider the guitar, if it's standard tuning the bottom string is E right? But if you play the chord of E there are extra "harmonics" in there, as in its a more rounded, fuller sound because there are some notes in the chord that aren't a straight E.

So do the chord E on the guitar and strum each string individually. The bottom, third and top strings are the ones actually sounding an E of different octaves. The rest of the strings are filling in the harmonics

Does this make better sense? Am awful at the old explaining :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it's a weird explanation but I'm glad you know dem feels xD
Ahh yeah I was always a first soprano by preference although I could go quite low into the alto range - I bet you're right,it will be to do with that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm similar, an alto but in school was always soprano 2 as I was the only one that could read the harmonies, and can vaguely get into proper soprano range if I need to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I'm similar, an alto but in school was always soprano 2 as I was the only one that could read the harmonies, and can vaguely get into proper soprano range if I need to!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye it's basically the exact opposite for me! We had an abundance of altos and hardly any first sopranos so I filled the spaces really :tongue: I miss choir so much !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aye it's basically the exact opposite for me! We had an abundance of altos and hardly any first sopranos so I filled the spaces really :tongue: I miss choir so much !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! In another one now but it's nowhere near as good or interesting to go to, not least it's with adults rather than 14-18 year olds so I don't really fit in any more! Hoping that'll all change when I go to uni though, hopefully you'll find one too! :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same! In another one now but it's nowhere near as good or interesting to go to, not least it's with adults rather than 14-18 year olds so I don't really fit in any more! Hoping that'll all change when I go to uni though, hopefully you'll find one too! :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww right :frown: yeah, you'll definitely be able to find a good one at uni! Aw thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How fast do you normally get to sleep if you're saying that already?! :eek: Or maybe it's just me that's weird cus I'm used to it taking hours :colondollar:

Same! Although people I've spoken to with it just seem to find it annoying in that respect because nothing ever sounds right, guess you would after a while :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's more I know the feeling I have when I won't be able to sleep!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's more I know the feeling I have when I won't be able to sleep!

Oh ok that's fair enough then! Hope you do at some point :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't sleep. Have to be up at 7. Guess it's an all nighter for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Can't sleep. Have to be up at 7. Guess it's an all nighter for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Join the club :holmes:
Is this true?

Do we find out whether we have been accepted or rejected by our firm/insurance university choice 1 week before results day?
Or do we just find out on results day itself? @track
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Is this true?

Do we find out whether we have been accepted or rejected by our firm/insurance university choice 1 week before results day?

Not true. Track just updates the morning we get results, normally at about 7:30ish I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Is this true?

I heard they get our results one week before we do but they aren't allowed to tell us what we got

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
I heard they get our results one week before we do but they aren't allowed to tell us what we got

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah this is true I think. Isn't IB results day like a month before A-Level results day?
Original post by Red Fox
Yeah this is true I think. Isn't IB results day like a month before A-Level results day?

I get my results first or second week of July I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
I get my results first or second week of July I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just realised this is going to be such a long summer holiday:woo:. I probably won't be too worried about results day because my offers are 3-4 grades below my predicted grades so exams would have to be a catastrophic failure for me to not get in but you never know.

Latest