The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone else seen the video on youtube which shows Hitler's reaction to the Bama loss? It's well worth a watch...
I would actually spend a draft pick on him haha. Like a 5th or 6th round would be worth it. Special teams is such a huge part of the game.
Original post by Malevolent
I would actually spend a draft pick on him haha. Like a 5th or 6th round would be worth it. Special teams is such a huge part of the game.

PUNTERS ARE PEOPLE TOO.

I wouldn't go "full Jaguars" and grab a punter in the third round ahead of say...Russell Wilson. But yes. A 6th rounder seems fair. I'd rather spend a draft pick and ensure that such a good punter is on the team, than risk the lottery of the UFDA. It's crazy how many good punters and placekickers are undrafted...but he's a good one to draft.

Placekickers as well. I know it's early to think about it, but I fear the Colts would draft Roberto Aguayo to replace Vinetari. Replacing one future HOF kicker, for one with the potential to be great, is almost like replacing a furture HOF QB for one with the potential to be great...oh..wait...they did that as welll #colts.
Original post by jammy4041
PUNTERS ARE PEOPLE TOO.

I wouldn't go "full Jaguars" and grab a punter in the third round ahead of say...Russell Wilson. But yes. A 6th rounder seems fair. I'd rather spend a draft pick and ensure that such a good punter is on the team, than risk the lottery of the UFDA. It's crazy how many good punters and placekickers are undrafted...but he's a good one to draft.

Placekickers as well. I know it's early to think about it, but I fear the Colts would draft Roberto Aguayo to replace Vinetari. Replacing one future HOF kicker, for one with the potential to be great, is almost like replacing a furture HOF QB for one with the potential to be great...oh..wait...they did that as welll #colts.

Yeah the colts lucked out no pun intended lol. I think denver would do well to pick scott up. Colquit has been pretty bad since his pay day.
Yeah the colts lucked out no pun intended lol. I think denver would do well to pick scott up. Colquit has been pretty bad since his pay day.

I agree wholeheartedly. I've not been impressed with Colquitt. We need to get some try outs to light a fire...or cut him. He was the highest paid punter in the league until Hekker got his payday...but he hasn't played anywhere like an elite punter. Still...Scott's a freshman...so it would have to wait a few years...
I agree wholeheartedly. I've not been impressed with Colquitt. We need to get some try outs to light a fire...or cut him. He was the highest paid punter in the league until Hekker got his payday...but he hasn't played anywhere like an elite punter. Still...Scott's a freshman...so it would have to wait a few years...

Yeah not sure what happened to him. Wouldn't agree with vinatieri getting an all pro nod.
Tampa need a new punter (amongst a million other things) we lost so much field position from punts this season.
Original post by ..DT..
Tampa need a new punter (amongst a million other things) we lost so much field position from punts this season.

Please tell me what the hell happened to Verner. I was so certain he would be one of the best moves of the season....
Please tell me what the hell happened to Verner. I was so certain he would be one of the best moves of the season....

I don't really know to be honest....

Didn't get much help over the top from what I saw, got mismatched quite a bit (I guess? :s-smilie:).

Most importantly I'd say he probably spent too much time on the field. When you have an offence that struggles to string together 50 yards total in the first half of most it's matches it is going to put a strain on the D. Hopefully he bounces back next year, we have some good players in the unit and really I just think too much was asked of them this season.

Just looked, if we had scored exactly 24 points every game (something I don't see as an unrealistic target for a team, especially considering the ravens managed to average about that) we would have won 9 of our games. Obviously a 'shoulda, coulda, woulda' statistic, but I guess it shows how important having a scoring offence is.
(edited 9 years ago)
PUNTERS ARE PEOPLE TOO.

Never go full Gene Smith! Anger is good at punting but 3rd round was madness.
Can someone explain how the playoffs works? So who does the winner of Cardinals and Panthers game face and what about the other matches? New to American Football. :colondollar:

Thanks
Original post by Sameer599
Can someone explain how the playoffs works? So who does the winner of Cardinals and Panthers game face and what about the other matches? New to American Football. :colondollar:

Thanks

Hey newbie. Stay here long enough and you won't feel like a newbie anymore! I'll give you the playoff rundown. The NFL is divided into 2 conferences with 4 divisions each so there are 8.There are 12 playoff spots. Each divisional champion automatically gets into the playoffs. There are then 2 wildcards from each conference. The wildcards are those teams who didn't win their divisions but otherwise have the best season records. Where there is a tie there is a collection of tiebreakers which are dependent on whether the tie is two way or more than two ways so I won't get into them here.

We now have our 12 playoff contenders, 6 from each division. These are then seeded. The divisional champions are seeded 1-4 by record. The top 2 of these get a 'bye' so they don't have to play in Wildcard week. They also secure home advantage for all of the playoff games they contend up to the Superbowl. The wildcards are then seeded by record too so they are 5 or 6 for their conference. Seed 3 will play seed 6, seed 4 will play seed 5. That makes 4 wildcard vs divisional champion games. The divisional champion gets home advantage. The winners of these games then move on to Divisional Week where the lowest seed still in the playoffs will play the number 1 seed, the next lowest will play the number 2 seed. The next week is Conference Championship week to decide the winners of the AFC and NFC. The highest seed remaining gets home advantage for this game. After these games are concluded there is a week gap for the Pro Bowl which is totally irrelevant to the playoffs. After all of this it's time for the Superbowl where the winners of the Championship games will play each other at a pre-determined venue (this years is in Glendale, Arizona at University of Phoenix Stadium) The winner of this is then crowned the Superbowl Champion for the year.

Sorry about the length. To answer the second question the winner of the Cardinals(5)/Panthers(4) game will face Green Bay Packers(2) if the Lions(6) win the other wildcard and Seattle Seahawks(1) if Dallas Cowboys(3) win in the other wildcard game.

I'll have a stab at a full playoff prediction whilst I'm here

Wildcard Week
Ravens v Steelers LOSE
Bengals v Colts
Cardinals v Panthers WIN
Lions v Cowboys

Divisional Week
Bengals v Patriots
Broncos v Ravens
Lions v Seahawks
Panthers v Packers

Championship Week
Patriots v Broncos
Lions v Packers

Superbowl XLIX
Patriots v Packers

(Picks are in red)
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm going

Ravens
Bengals
Panthers
Boiz

for the wildcard.

We will continue from there afterwards :biggrin:
Original post by Wattsy
Hey newbie. Stay here long enough and you won't feel like a newbie anymore! I'll give you the playoff rundown. The NFL is divided into 2 conferences with 4 divisions each so there are 8.There are 12 playoff spots. Each divisional champion automatically gets into the playoffs. There are then 2 wildcards from each division. The wildcards are those teams who didn't win their divisions but otherwise have the best season records. Where there is a tie there is a collection of tiebreakers which are dependent on whether the tie is two way or more than two ways so I won't get into them here.

We now have our 12 playoff contenders, 6 from each division. These are then seeded. The divisional champions are seeded 1-4 by record. The top 2 of these get a 'bye' so they don't have to play in Wildcard week. They also secure home advantage for all of the playoff games they contend up to the Superbowl. The wildcards are then seeded by record too so they are 5 or 6 for their conference. Seed 3 will play seed 6, seed 4 will play seed 5. That makes 4 wildcard vs divisional champion games. The divisional champion gets home advantage. The winners of these games then move on to Divisional Week where the lowest seed still in the playoffs will play the number 1 seed, the next lowest will play the number 2 seed. The next week is Conference Championship week to decide the winners of the AFC and NFC. The highest seed remaining gets home advantage for this game. After these games are concluded there is a week gap for the Pro Bowl which is totally irrelevant to the playoffs. After all of this it's time for the Superbowl where the winners of the Championship games will play each other at a pre-determined venue (this years is in Glendale, Arizona at University of Phoenix Stadium) The winner of this is then crowned the Superbowl Champion for the year.

Sorry about the length. To answer the second question the winner of the Cardinals(5)/Panthers(4) game will face Green Bay Packers(2) if the Lions(6) win the other wildcard and Seattle Seahawks(1) if Dallas Cowboys(3) win in the other wildcard game.

I'll have a stab at a full playoff prediction whilst I'm here

Wildcard Week
Ravens v Steelers
Bengals v Colts
Cardinals v Panthers
Lions v Cowboys

Divisional Week
Bengals v Patriots
Broncos v Steelers
Lions v Seahawks
Panthers v Packers

Championship Week
Patriots v Broncos
Lions v Packers

Superbowl XLIX
Patriots v Packers

(Picks are in red)

Thanks for that, great explanation! :smile:
I'll take the Panthers, Ravens, Colts, and Cowboys. Although I'd really love it if Arizona won.
Ravens, Colts, Cardinals and Cowboys would be my picks.
Original post by Sameer599
Thanks for that, great explanation! :smile:

Remember, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask, and we’ll be happy to explain. :smile:
Wildcard weekend begins here.....

Come on the Panthers, lets ride up that draft position.
What is a rush/rushing yard?
I'd fallen asleep but I'm now IN. How on earth I've slept 4 hours in the evening is beyond me. This was not part of the plan!

Latest