The Student Room Group

Study suggests most cancer types are 'just bad luck'

Apparently if you're unlucky enough it's down to DNA, and by extent your genetical disposition: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30641833

Of course 1/3 of all cancer is caused by an unhealth lifestyle, but if you are genetically disposed to having cancer what's the point in caring about your health?

In any case, we're all gonna die anyway, but if you're unluckier than some then you get ****ed over worse than the rest of us.

If tomorrow you woke up and found out you were unlucky, would you be satisfied with how you've lived?
You can't cure "cancer" it's not one specific disease.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ESPORTIVA
You can't cure "cancer" it's not one specific disease.

You can use the same/similar cure for multiple diseases though.
Misleading thread title
Reply 4
Original post by tomclarky
Misleading thread title

How? It's what the BBC and the US Journal Science are reporting it as.
Original post by Evening
How? It's what the BBC and the US Journal Science are reporting it as.

The thread title suggests it's a sweeping statement about all cancers
Yes, I agree about the thread title and thought this when I read it as well. It is misleeding

The link between smoking and lung/throat cancer is very strong.

Cancer is a bit of a dice roll, it's not a diease and you don't 'catch' it. It's basically a malfunction of the body, where by the mechanisms used to controll cell growth mutate and don't stop it any more.
Well you may be predisposed to say breast cancer, which doesn't mean you will 100% have it, then by your logic OP you may as well smoke, greatly increasing your chances of lung cancer (among others). Breast cancer is far more treatable than lung cancer, so increasing your risk of many other cancers isn't very smart.
Original post by Evening
Apparently if you're unlucky enough it's down to DNA, and by extent your genetical disposition: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30641833

Of course 1/3 of all cancer is caused by an unhealth lifestyle, but if you are genetically disposed to having cancer what's the point in caring about your health?

In any case, we're all gonna die anyway, but if you're unluckier than some then you get ****ed over worse than the rest of us.

If tomorrow you woke up and found out you were unlucky, would you be satisfied with how you've lived?

Well there are a couple of relevant points here:

1. In pretty much everything in life there's an element of random luck that you can't control and there are factors you can control: eg getting a good job there are a lot of luck elements in it but you put yourself in a better chance by working hard and getting a good education. Likewise with health, you can't control the random factors but if 1/3 of the risk is down to lifestyle factors then if you have a healthy lifestyle you go through life with a lower risk, which is better.

2. A lot of the time people overrate the enjoyment of living an unhealthy lifestyle - the argument "why even bother to care, at least you've enjoyed your life" relies on believing that you are going to be happier if you smoke loads, drink loads, eat processed food etc. Most people that smoke smoke because they are addicted to it, smoking is not THAT enjoyable. When you are addicted to the nicotine you feel like you need a fag to calm your nerves sometimes but it's not exactly the height of enjoyment especially for the money you spend. Some people are fit, have more of an outdoor lifestyle, eat proper food instead of processed stuff all the time, are they living miserable lives because they aren't smoking and eating processed crap, waking up hungover every day?
Reply 9
Original post by tomclarky
The thread title suggests it's a sweeping statement about all cancers

Well take it up with the BBC, not me.

Original post by Spetznaaz
Well you may be predisposed to say breast cancer, which doesn't mean you will 100% have it, then by your logic OP you may as well smoke, greatly increasing your chances of lung cancer (among others). Breast cancer is far more treatable than lung cancer, so increasing your risk of many other cancers isn't very smart.

If you're gonna pop your clogs anyway why not enjoy yourself?

Original post by MagicNMedicine
Well there are a couple of relevant points here:

1. In pretty much everything in life there's an element of random luck that you can't control and there are factors you can control: eg getting a good job there are a lot of luck elements in it but you put yourself in a better chance by working hard and getting a good education. Likewise with health, you can't control the random factors but if 1/3 of the risk is down to lifestyle factors then if you have a healthy lifestyle you go through life with a lower risk, which is better.

2. A lot of the time people overrate the enjoyment of living an unhealthy lifestyle - the argument "why even bother to care, at least you've enjoyed your life" relies on believing that you are going to be happier if you smoke loads, drink loads, eat processed food etc. Most people that smoke smoke because they are addicted to it, smoking is not THAT enjoyable. When you are addicted to the nicotine you feel like you need a fag to calm your nerves sometimes but it's not exactly the height of enjoyment especially for the money you spend. Some people are fit, have more of an outdoor lifestyle, eat proper food instead of processed stuff all the time, are they living miserable lives because they aren't smoking and eating processed crap, waking up hungover every day?

You make it sound as if your idea of fun is universal, that not-drinking and not-smoking is something that isn't fun and that doing something without those in life is enjoyable. What about boxing or caving? Both of those involve the risk of serious damage that some people enjoy. All sports carry the risk of injury, so the point about enjoying things like alcohol and tobacco in excess is null since you can do just about anything you enjoy to the point of damage.

I reiterate, if you're going to die anyway why not do something you enjoy than spend your days trying to hold off the inevitable?
Original post by Evening

The BBC article said 'most cancers'... You rephrased it to just 'Cancer down to bad luck'
Original post by Evening

You make it sound as if your idea of fun is universal, that not-drinking and not-smoking is something that isn't fun and that doing something without those in life is enjoyable. What about boxing or caving? Both of those involve the risk of serious damage that some people enjoy. All sports carry the risk of injury, so the point about enjoying things like alcohol and tobacco in excess is null since you can do just about anything you enjoy to the point of damage.

I reiterate, if you're going to die anyway why not do something you enjoy than spend your days trying to hold off the inevitable?

Sure as long as you are making an informed decision and not kidding yourself that you are getting more out of smoking than you really are.

If you are going to die anyway then why not try and get the most out of life and feel better while you are at it.

I would rather be enjoying myself being fit and travelling the world aged 50 than being wire up to some machine to help me breathe because I'd ruined my lungs.
Original post by Evening

If you're gonna pop your clogs anyway why not enjoy yourself?

Are you a smoker? It isn't exactly fun.

If you're going to die anyway, what's the point of anything? Why not just kill yourself today?

Why do something which has a very high chance of causing you an early painful death? Something that doesn't even add anything to your life and just makes you feel like ****?
Misleading thread title has been revised.
So what has changed. It hasnt always been like that. Cancer rates are growing at a rediculous rate. My grandma and parents tell me they hardly knew anyone with cancer. Today, everyone knows someone with cancer. 20mins of this video will tell you why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc1rtIxvkao
Original post by mimilovell
So what has changed. It hasnt always been like that. Cancer rates are growing at a rediculous rate. My grandma and parents tell me they hardly knew anyone with cancer. Today, everyone knows someone with cancer. 20mins of this video will tell you why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc1rtIxvkao

There's little evidence that meat is causing cancer although i do that a plant based diet tends to be healthier.

Quick Reply

Latest