The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom_Ford
Time does fly very quickly, I feel like 17-18 were just yesterday but it is nearly 6 years ago now. There is nothing to be upset about though, life is life. My feeling about it all is that we should regret what we do, not what we don't do. Regretting what we did not do is the worst thing. Regretting what we do do is fine as it can be seen as youthful folly.
It's all about making the time count for something and/or realising that you really don't have it so bad.

I have noticed though at 23-25 how old many people behave. Homeowners, marriages, kids, responsibilities. It is like the youth disappears overnight and that is something that really scares me. It is not getting older in itself that scares me, but being trapped in a lifestyle that I hate. I am way too much of a 'free spirit' to be like that. I see life as an adventure.

I don't believe anything happens when you die, you just die and that is it.

You don't ever think about what the process might be like? Being alive one minute and dead the next?

I spend a lot of time thinking about this, and the most logical scenario for me is there being some sort of mechanism in your body that is designed to make the process of your body 'shutting down' as trauma free as possible.

That's if you die of natural causes, obviously if you're about to have your head cut off or suffer a violent death you've got those last moments waiting for the attack for example.
Original post by Wilfred Little
You don't ever think about what the process might be like? Being alive one minute and dead the next?

I spend a lot of time thinking about this, and the most logical scenario for me is there being some sort of mechanism in your body that is designed to make the process of your body 'shutting down' as trauma free as possible.

That's if you die of natural causes, obviously if you're about to have your head cut off or suffer a violent death you've got those last moments waiting for the attack for example.

I don't think about the process, hardly going to be pleasant though is it?
Dying is the easy part. Suffering in pain before you die is the difficult part, illness does that though. When we are older, a big proportion of us will get cancer. Just inevitable. 43% of males, which works out at around 1 in 2 in practice, will get cancer. 22% , around 1 in 4, will die from that. Before we know what hits us, we will be in pain and lose our freedom.

I spend my time appreciating more the fact that I could be very ill in the future and that my days may be more numbered than I think. The illnesses start coming on with age.. progressively of course. I don't see my late 70's as the end of my life because I very well could be dead well before then. With that in mind, I don't treat my time as anything less than precious.
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
What year were you lot born in?

1996 :smile:
I remember my childhood in the Netherlands so well like it was yesterday.

It's strange to see friends around me turn 19/20, I do so too next month and I'm not particularly over the moon about it. It seems though, that I care less and less about birthdays as time goes on. It's funny cos I hear girls that are like in year 10 or 11 go, "omg can't wait till I'm like 18 or 21 honestly" Little do they know :rolleyes:

I remember in 2009/10, we were going into our GCSE stage. The deputy head of the school gave an assembly and she said these exact words "You're about to pick your GCSE subjects, pick wisely and do well. You will enter university in September 2014, your journey starts now". I remember thinking 'Yeah alright love, that's miles away calm down' but look now, how times flies and how correct she was. I remember that assembly and what she said so very well, I do not know why.

Guess we all just have to make everyday count and and take life as it comes, whilst enjoying it as much as possible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Born in 1994.

It feels weird how people that were born in 2000 will be/are 15 (/16 I think) this year. My first memories are around 1997/8 :eek:
Reply 9804
Original post by IDukem
Born in 1994.

It feels weird how people that were born in 2000 will be/are 15 (/16 I think) this year. My first memories are around 1997/8 :eek:

Come on pal how could someone born in 2000 be turning 16 in 2015
Original post by Fideo
Come on pal how could someone born in 2000 be turning 16 in 2015

I can't shake this one off, I'll just take it :lol:
Original post by Tom_Ford
I don't think about the process, hardly going to be pleasant though is it?

Why not? DMT released in your brain when you die, I've read a ton of accounts from people who claim to have had near death experiences or experiences where they've medically died and they seem quite consistent in that not much happened but they felt a sense of peace and warmth.

I've read a couple more that are not as nice including one where you're dead, can't do anything but have an awareness of being conscious within the universe and that's your eternity. **** that.

Dying is the easy part. Suffering in pain before you die is the difficult part, illness does that though. When we are older, a big proportion of us will get cancer. Just inevitable. 43% of males, which works out at around 1 in 2 in practice, will get cancer. 22% , around 1 in 4, will die from that. Before we know what hits us, we will be in pain and lose our freedom.

That's more than women then?

Hopefully I never go through this or know what it's like.

I spend my time appreciating more the fact that I could be very ill in the future and that my days may be more numbered than I think. The illnesses start coming on with age.. progressively of course. I don't see my late 70's as the end of my life because I very well could be dead well before then. With that in mind, I don't treat my time as anything less than precious.

Wise words.

That's more than women then?

Yep. Medically women are a lot stronger than men. So when they say there's no equality they're right- they're better than us :laugh:
Twitter app for phones is so crap. Constantly loading when Chrome/Facebook load just fine.

And am I the only one who associates the FA Cup third round traditionally with Saturday the 3rd of January?
Original post by The Shed End
Twitter app for phones is so crap. Constantly loading when Chrome/Facebook load just fine.

And am I the only one who associates the FA Cup third round traditionally with Saturday the 3rd of January?

All the scum Leeds fans come out this year with their rendition of "Jermaine Beckford scored a great goal in the scum ****hole". Detestable. Remember I got beat up the day after they knocked us out by Leeds fans at school as well :laugh:
Yep. Medically women are a lot stronger than men. So when they say there's no equality they're right- they're better than us :laugh:

Ah well, still kick their ****ing heads in :cool:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/teenager-who-allegedly-left-girl-4910404
Reply 9811

How do you mean? Their bodies aren't naturally stronger at fighting/avoiding cancer or anything like that, men just have worse lifestyles
Original post by Fideo
How do you mean? Their bodies aren't naturally stronger at fighting/avoiding cancer or anything like that, men just have worse lifestyles

No their bodies are naturally stronger than men, they have a stronger immune system and are better at fighting diseases than we are. Shown in higher infant mortality rate in boys than girls. You're right that lifestyle will play a part, a large part (if we take Lung Cancer as an example), but they do have a stronger body so to speak.

Looks like she swallowed his fist judging by size of her.
Original post by Fideo

I'd say as general statements men play more sport, smoke and drink less, have better diets (women avoid fat like the plague but stuff their faces full of bread, rice, cakes and biscuits which is a recipe for fat gain, plus are typically the ones to become vegans which is inherently unhealthy and fall for stupid fad diets).

So I dunno how men have worse lifestyles.
Reply 9815
I'd say as general statements men play more sport, smoke and drink less, have better diets (women avoid fat like the plague but stuff their faces full of bread, rice, cakes and biscuits which is a recipe for fat gain, plus are typically the ones to become vegans which is inherently unhealthy and fall for stupid fad diets).

So I dunno how men have worse lifestyles.

More men are overweight and more men smoke. Drinking is probably about the same. I'm sure men do more exercise yeah.
Reply 9816
No their bodies are naturally stronger than men, they have a stronger immune system and are better at fighting diseases than we are. Shown in higher infant mortality rate in boys than girls. You're right that lifestyle will play a part, a large part (if we take Lung Cancer as an example), but they do have a stronger body so to speak.

Googled it, seems you're right, interdasting
This guy is too much bants lol, I fancy him! He must be taking the piss (surely).

His hair is going to be at a point where the only option is to shave it off within the next two years.
Reply 9819
Reus' hair > Gotze's

Latest