The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
£61.50

I try keep as little as possible in there.
Reply 41
Original post by yo radical one
Why would you put savings in a current account? :confused:

Interest rates?

Dunno, I think the Santander current account is like 3.5% or summet
Original post by zKlown
Interest rates?

Dunno, I think the Santander current account is like 3.5% or summet

That's an ISA :confused:

I wasn't saying keep it under your parents bed (unless it's dodgy), just that putting most of your savings into a current account, which generally has much lower return is stupid unless you need fast access.
£2,146,842,239.74, because that will take a long time to lose via inflation.
Some people here have a ****ed up idea of banter, not sure how going on a thread like this and making up a ridiculous amount of money is considering funny, but each to their own.
£0.0
Original post by BBeyond
Some people here have a ****ed up idea of banter, not sure how going on a thread like this and making up a ridiculous amount of money is considering funny, but each to their own.

There is no other reason why someone would have any more than 100-200 pound in their current account. You would have to have a lot of money to not care about the interest.
Original post by morgan8002
There is no other reason why someone would have any more than 100-200 pound in their current account. You would have to have a lot of money to not care about the interest.

Not really, I just have the money I can spend in my current account, and the rest in my savings accounts, I'm not that desperate to earn the extra £10-30 on interest or whatever it would be.
Original post by BBeyond
Not really, I just have the money I can spend in my current account, and the rest in my savings accounts, I'm not that desperate to earn the extra £10-30 on interest or whatever it would be.

Well for most people getting paid 30 pound for 5 minutes work is worth it.
Reply 49
Original post by morgan8002

i like to keep more than a few hundred just in case i need to make an unexpected purchase/feel like being frivolous. wouldn't keep more than a grand in there though.
Your current account should have no more and no less than what you need to get you through until the next paycheque.

The rest of my money is in an array of regular saver accounts, stocks and shares investments, index tracker funds, ISAs, and foreign currency accounts.
Just under a million.

Spoiler

I suspect people have more money in their current account today than yesterday because my student loan money has just gone in! Straight into my savings account though. :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by i.am.lost
Your current account should have no more and no less than what you need to get you through until the next paycheque.

The rest of my money is in an array of regular saver accounts, stocks and shares investments, index tracker funds, ISAs, and foreign currency accounts.

listen now my son it isn't for you to tell anyone how much they should keep in their current account
Reply 53
Original post by yo radical one
That's an ISA :confused:

I wasn't saying keep it under your parents bed (unless it's dodgy), just that putting most of your savings into a current account, which generally has much lower return is stupid unless you need fast access.

Nah, the 123 account is a current one

http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/123-current-account?gclid=CjwKEAiAw56lBRCs29jB9uOvkygSJADnD3-6MFVu04WBLbvvWvZqt8HCBolUbMt4T9I4XQyCGvvQERoCHwPw_wcB

Which isn't a bad rate tbh

18 years old plus. I hate how much age discrimination there is in the financial sector.
Original post by white boy
listen now my son it isn't for you to tell anyone how much they should keep in their current account

It's sound financial guidance. There are options to suit any level of risk appetite, and they can all make a greater return on your money than having it pointlessly sitting idle.
Quite a bit, but I need to pay £6k in one go for housing later this year so I'm looking forward to hitting my overdraft limit :K:
I think I have like £830 or so.
Reply 59
Some religions don't allow them to gain interest.. so thats why some people don't really care.

Latest

Trending

Trending