The Student Room Group

men have an entitlement complex to.women, sex, power and status, discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cremated_Spatula

Hypothetically if there is a large queue for lunch, I would suspect the self-loathing person would be too shy and conscious of other people to barge in at the front, where as someone who is full of themselves, see themselves as more important than others & wouldn't hesitate.

Hhmmm this is interesting!

I am male, and definitely fall into the confident, push to front of queue category. If I'm getting on a crowded train for example, I will do my best to get on first and grab a seat, occasionally annoying the commuting riff-raff in the process.

Interestingly, I would never have this attitude to people I respect, its just the 9am office slaves. I will also happily cut in front of taxi drivers and whizz past CBD suits on my bike, but when I see cool guys/girls who are my own age, or elderly people/homeless people I always give them space and respect. Security guards, the police, and bouncers get the worst treatment from me. I suppose the homeless get the best, I will often give them food and spare change.

So, if your theory that a lack public manners = self entitlement complex is correct... then I do have one, yet it follows a sort of warped moral compass where I place free-thinking or less fortunate members of society above those who conform, the police etc.

When it comes to women, power, money etc. I'm not too bothered. I am broke and happy, and I have never been in a fight or demanded anything of anyone.
I am promiscious, but I don't brag about it. For me sex is about passion and connection, not "notches on the bedpost". I don't kiss and tell and I tend to stay friends with people I've slept with.
Original post by truthbomb

I am male, and definitely fall into the confident, push to front of queue category. If I'm getting on a crowded train for example, I will do my best to get on first and grab a seat, occasionally annoying the commuting riff-raff in the process.

Interestingly, I would never have this attitude to people I respect, its just the 9am office slaves. I will also happily cut in front of taxi drivers and whizz past CBD suits on my bike, but when I see cool guys/girls who are my own age, or elderly people/homeless people I always give them space and respect. Security guards, the police, and bouncers get the worst treatment from me. I suppose the homeless get the best, I will often give them food and spare change.

So, if your theory that a lack public manners = self entitlement complex is correct... then I do have one, yet it follows a sort of warped moral compass where I place free-thinking or less fortunate members of society above those who conform, the police etc.

When it comes to women, power, money etc. I'm not too bothered. I am broke and happy, and I have never been in a fight or demanded anything of anyone.
I am promiscious, but I don't brag about it. For me sex is about passion and connection, not "notches on the bedpost". I don't kiss and tell and I tend to stay friends with people I've slept with.

truthbomb omega male fighting da system checking in, Vive la Revolution bruh
Original post by truthbomb

Sounds like you are doing it as a passive aggressive revenge against "the system" rather than an instinctual lack of concern for others.
Original post by sherlockfan
Where is this coming from?

Perceived relative deprivation of those things.

It's fueled by an online sub-community that uses these feelings of unfulfilled entitlement as a coping mechanism, with members seeking to affirm this belief within one another. You see it in the constant posts of 'this is your daily reminder that you're not banging emma watson', followed by countless images of pepe the frog (see /r9k/).

It usually manifests feelings of anger and the notion of a faceless, omnipresent conspiracy which sets out to obstruct their 'rights' to a woman, wealth, power etc.

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Also discuss: modern young women hold no entitlement complex to high status men

I disagree. Entitlement complexes exist in both genders by nature. Everyone feels that they are entitled to more and there is an inherent dissatisfaction built into the human condition, regardless of the whatever living conditions exist at that point in time. We are naturally greedy, something which has been the driving force of the development of society.

You see it in the 40yr old, uneducated, single mums who post dating ads demanding rich, atheletic, intelligent partners.

You see it in the basement dwelling manchildren who rate images of obscenely attractive female celebrities '2/10, would not bang'.

tl;dr - people are deluded *******s by design, regardless of gender.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Etomidate
Perceived relative deprivation of those things.

It's fueled by an online sub-community that uses these feelings of unfulfilled entitlement as a coping mechanism, with members seeking to affirm this belief within one another. You see it in the constant posts of 'this is your daily reminder that you're not banging emma watson', followed by countless images of pepe the frog (see /r9k/).

I see you are familiar with the power of the terp!
It usually manifests feelings of anger and the notion of a faceless, omnipresent conspiracy which sets out to obstruct their 'rights' to a woman, wealth, power etc.

I disagree. Entitlement complexes exist in both genders by nature. Everyone feels that they are entitled to more and there is an inherent dissatisfaction built into the human condition, regardless of the whatever living conditions exist at that point in time. We are naturally greedy, something which has been the driving force of the development of society.

You see it in the 40yr old, uneducated, single mums who post dating ads demanding rich, atheletic, intelligent partners.

You see it in the basement dwelling manchildren who rate images of obscenely attractive female celebrities '2/10, would not bang'.

but you cannot deny that it is much more socially acceptable for women to hold an entitlement complex than men
but you cannot deny that it is much more socially acceptable for women to hold an entitlement complex than men

Yeah probably, but these complexes rarely come to fruition in either the long-term or in real life. And I'm not talking about contrived, hypothetical scenarios discussed online between unsatisfied manchildren about a chubby girl in a club refusing to dance with a swole man.

You rarely see these complexes being displayed in real, offline day-to-day life. It only exists in the minds of the above manchildren and internet parodies which have been inflated to cartoon proportions.

And even if were the case, you could argue that it's more socially acceptable for a man to be career driven and ruthlessly ambitious. You win some, you lose some. Deal with it.

Rofl absolutley rekt

Yeah probably, but these complexes rarely come to fruition in either the long-term or in real life. And I'm not talking about contrived, hypothetical scenarios discussed online between unsatisfied manchildren about a chubby girl in a club refusing to dance with a swole man.

You rarely see these complexes being displayed in real, offline day-to-day life. It only exists in the minds of the above manchildren and internet parodies which have been inflated to cartoon proportions.

And even if were the case, you could argue that it's more socially acceptable for a man to be career driven and ruthlessly ambitious. You win some, you lose some. Deal with it.

I do, I see it all the time.

In men and women. I'd say it's a pretty common coping mechanism.

(edited 9 years ago)

actually no, 3rd wave feminism has taken care of that. It's socially acceptable to be a corporate alpha female, OR a traditional home-maker type, but not socially acceptable for a man to be a stay-at-home dad, in the vast majority of cases. It's socially plausible, as in women comprehend a man doing this and think hypothetically 'yes that would be OK, this is the 21st century!': but it is generally a turn-off and kills all erotic love in practice. You will not be told this by them.

What is the point of the discussion if we take such a reductionist 'deal with it' approach
actually no, 3rd wave feminism has taken care of that. It's socially acceptable to be a corporate alpha female, OR a traditional home-maker type, but not socially acceptable for a man to be a stay-at-home dad, in the vast majority of cases. It's socially plausible, as in women comprehend a man doing this and think hypothetically 'yes that would be OK, this is the 21st century!': but it is generally a turn-off and kills all erotic love in practice. You will not be told this by them.

What is the point of the discussion if we take such a reductionist 'deal with it' approach

yes but we all know you have warped views of the world and that this is mainly BS.
"you will not be told this by them" just stinks of paranoia. there is no plot from "da feminists" to make life difficult for stay at home dads. and things are still extremely difficult for a woman wanting to reach the top of her career path.
(edited 9 years ago)
yes, see 'the pussy pedestal'. Only hetero movement I know to have successfully manoeuvred this social structure is MGTOW

The opposite culture to the west is :

women wearing a burka .

sorry but I like women and I like to see them attractive
and I know our women like to be attractive, no matter how deep is your philosophy on the subject.
Original post by Bcereus
Massive generalisation of epic proportions.

Put 50% of the human race under one label and go crazy with it.

Incredibly fallacious, astoundingly naive and impressively clueless.

The media plays society like the Pied Piper, give people something to chew on every few years and let them go crazy with it.

There is good and bad in the world, to suggest a whole gender is inherently one thing or another is absolute madness.

Original post by Professor Purple
Generally speaking, men make more rational decisions than women.

I love irony like this XD

(I know comments weren't both written by the same person)

It seems to me people are quick to defend generalising comments about males but quick to agree/laugh at generalising comments about females
actually no, 3rd wave feminism has taken care of that. It's socially acceptable to be a corporate alpha female, OR a traditional home-maker type, but not socially acceptable for a man to be a stay-at-home dad, in the vast majority of cases.

Those changes in attitude will have come about via pro-active female campaigning for positive social shift for themselves. No such change ever came about by virtual, misogynistic attacks of other people.

If you want the stay-at-home dad to become more socially acceptable, the way to do it would be to promote a positive image of such, rather than attempt to tear down the position of others.

The hard-earned privileges afforded to men came about through our constitutional ability to deal with risk, adversity and uncertainty. This is why we run the world. If men want to be crying little bitches, they can go and grow a vagina and be done with it. Personally, I couldn't care less if some sloot in the club won't dance with an '8/10 alpha male'. I've got better **** to do.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think me and people with the same background probably have a general sense that we expect to achieve power and status, we've been told as much throughout our childhood and schooling. Amongst some there is then an expectation that power and status will get them a certain kind of girl, ie. hot. Not sure I'd say entitlement but I realise this is a question of semantics.

It's an indictment of the British class system that these expectations look largely likely to be realised tbh.

I don't think these expectations apply to all men though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by rachelc142
I love irony like this XD

(I know comments weren't both written by the same person)

It seems to me people are quick to defend generalising comments about males but quick to agree/laugh at generalising comments about females

Notice how I said gender. It works both ways, I'd be opposed to generalisation (on the billions scale) whether it was male or female. It's just silly.
Original post by Bcereus
Notice how I said gender. It works both ways, I'd be opposed to generalisation (on the billions scale) whether it was male or female. It's just silly.

yes I know it was less you and more the other guy that I quoted haha :smile:

I know, never understood it myself
Original post by Le Nombre
I think me and people with the same background probably have a general sense that we expect to achieve power and status, we've been told as much throughout our childhood and schooling. Amongst some there is then an expectation that power and status will get them a certain kind of girl, ie. hot. Not sure I'd say entitlement but I realise this is a question of semantics.

It's an indictment of the British class system that these expectations look largely likely to be realised tbh.

I don't think these expectations apply to all men though.

I think this is VERY true I know quite a lot of females who are the same because they were born into wealth/private schooling etc
Original post by acefrogman
The opposite culture to the west is :

women wearing a burka .

sorry but I like women and I like to see them attractive
and I know our women like to be attractive, no matter how deep is your philosophy on the subject.

(controversy ahead) burka also puts women on a pedestal, but not in a physical sense which is reserved for privacy/marriage; the absence of overt sexualisation due to religious principles in practice makes women ideologically more objectified. They are now treated as higher ideals of virtue and perfection on a metaphysical/spiritual level, which is used to justify their second-class citizenship.

So this is not an opposite with regards to 'the pussy pedestal' but now it is 'the pedestalisation of women'
(edited 9 years ago)
Those changes in attitude will have come about via pro-active female campaigning for positive social shift for themselves. No such change ever came about by virtual, misogynistic attacks of other people.

If you want the stay-at-home dad to become more socially acceptable, the way to do it would be to promote a positive image of such, rather than attempt to tear down the position of others.

The hard-earned privileges afforded to men came about through our constitutional ability to deal with risk, adversity and uncertainty. This is why we run the world. If men want to be crying little bitches, they can go and grow a vagina and be done with it. Personally, I couldn't care less if some sloot in the club won't dance with an '8/10 alpha male'. I've got better **** to do.

I';m not the one tearing down the stay at home dad! It's women who don't find it attractive! Although, I would not like to be one my whole life…

lol alpha talk right there bolded
I';m not the one tearing down the stay at home dad! It's women who don't find it attractive! Although, I would not like to be one my whole life…

lol alpha talk right there bolded

Eh, well, I don't think you can campaign to change what someone is or is not attracted to. That just isn't how humans work. You might point to the whole 'my curves are beautiful' thing, but that never changed what men were attracted to, it only changed the self-worth of overweight women (whether thats a good/bad thing is another argument in itself).

Also, I feel the need to point out the difference between social acceptance and attraction. There is also a world of difference between not being attracted to something and developing a systematic, online hate campaign.
(edited 9 years ago)
Eh, well, I don't think you can campaign to change what someone is or is not attracted to. That just isn't how humans work. You might point to the whole 'my curves are beautiful' thing, but that never changed what men were attracted to, it only changed the self-worth of overweight women (whether thats a good/bad thing is another argument in itself).

Also, I feel the need to point out the difference between social acceptance and attraction. There is also a world of difference between not being attracted to something and developing a systematic, online hate campaign.

you sound Redpill bruh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending