The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachelc142
Oh I'm glad! Thought my explanation was a bit rubbish xD
Not during A2s, I will probably recommence once I've finished my last singing exam /a level exam over summer :smile: I never learnt much other than basic chords, a few chorus' of my favourite rock songs and a few classical melodies. It's a lifetime goal of mine to be able to play classical gas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know about 3 chords to be honest, I can play power chords but mostly I've been learning solos etc :colondollar: been playing for almost 3 months now and I still can't play a song from start to end :colondollar:
Original post by Bude8
I know about 3 chords to be honest, I can play power chords but mostly I've been learning solos etc :colondollar:

Ah decent, would LOVE to be able to play a good solo :tongue: I mainly know bar chords because of the type of stuff I learnt to play

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in the same position - got 77, know I can get 90 so I didn't see the point in not resitting. Yeah, the timing is tricky! What did you get in ewp if you don't mind me asking?
I picked up my guitar for the first time in years last night in my attempt to explain harmony to you :tongue: yeah will probs be worth it!

No idea sorry, we don't do CIE! maybe have a look on their website?

Posted from TSR Mobile

?! You're redoing daaaamn... I might then.... It's just simple mechanics and some hookes law...

I got 150

It was j for that paper, like past papers I'd been knocking out in 15 minutes but that one...The mistakes I made were hilarious
Original post by L'Evil Fish
?! You're redoing daaaamn... I might then.... It's just simple mechanics and some hookes law...

I got 150

It was j for that paper, like past papers I'd been knocking out in 15 minutes but that one...The mistakes I made were hilarious

exactly, and what with me retaking m2 and doing g484 too I genuinely feel like I can't go wrong revision wise.

wow, impressive. I was so annoyed at the EWP paper, praise the lord for 59% A grade boundary. Was getting at least 90 in all past papers then worked out I only got about 67 in the actual thing. Felt so stretched for time in that exam too. Genuinely came out of it thinking I'd got a C or less
Ah decent, would LOVE to be able to play a good solo :tongue: I mainly know bar chords because of the type of stuff I learnt to play

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is my favourite one at the moment, it's reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal good
[video="youtube;dztb6wqUVNg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dztb6wqUVNg[/video]

I'm learning how to play it but I need to become better a lot more fluid with sweep picking first :frown:
exactly, and what with me retaking m2 and doing g484 too I genuinely feel like I can't go wrong revision wise.

wow, impressive. I was so annoyed at the EWP paper, praise the lord for 59% A grade boundary. Was getting at least 90 in all past papers then worked out I only got about 67 in the actual thing. Felt so stretched for time in that exam too. Genuinely came out of it thinking I'd got a C or less

Exactly. Damn, I think I'll ask :colondollar: if I get rejected from Cambridge, I'll do it. Because if I get 90 I'll have 298 in the AS. Stupid isa :lol:

I liked the fact it was super difficult because even though I know I dropped a good 10 marks, the boundaries meant I'd be fine. 67% raw? What did that come to?
Everyone felt crap after that exam. Because it like linked electricity with photons and everything, it was great lol

But agreed it was definitely a bitch

Chemistry was the same
Original post by Bude8
This is my favourite one at the moment, it's reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal good
[video="youtube;dztb6wqUVNg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dztb6wqUVNg[/video]

I'm learning how to play it but I need to become better a lot more fluid with sweep picking first :frown:

dream theater are good. do you like periphery?
Ive got a super talented guitar playing friend who can play the solo from afterlife - a7x (if you're familiar)
dream theater are good. do you like periphery?
Ive got a super talented guitar playing friend who can play the solo from afterlife - a7x (if you're familiar)

Dream Theater are my favourite atm!! I've heard of Periphery and their complex polyrhythms but I've never actually listened to them.

Actually, my friend wanted me to help him play Afterlife :lol: I don't know if we're actually going to do it, but it's for a concert thingy in March time

My life ambition atm is to be able to play all of Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement on the guitar, my pro guitar friend says it's the hardest thing he's ever seen on the guitar
Exactly. Damn, I think I'll ask :colondollar: if I get rejected from Cambridge, I'll do it. Because if I get 90 I'll have 298 in the AS. Stupid isa :lol:

I liked the fact it was super difficult because even though I know I dropped a good 10 marks, the boundaries meant I'd be fine. 67% raw? What did that come to?
Everyone felt crap after that exam. Because it like linked electricity with photons and everything, it was great lol

But agreed it was definitely a bitch

Chemistry was the same

Yeah I know what you mean, I like that boundaries work that way tbh. About 128/130 ums I think. My physics ums were very bad but my classwork/revision in A2 has increased massively so I'm feeling much more confident this year.
I loved the last question, when we went through it in class it seemed I was the only person that got it. But the QWCs on the potential divider and waves i hated. I only really like the photons part of the course hahaha.
Yeah I heard about that, my friend said it was the hardest unit 2 paper he'd seen

Feeling much more motivated for exams this year though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I know what you mean, I like that boundaries work that way tbh. About 128/130 ums I think. My physics ums were very bad but my classwork/revision in A2 has increased massively so I'm feeling much more confident this year.
I loved the last question, when we went through it in class it seemed I was the only person that got it. But the QWCs on the potential divider and waves i hated. I only really like the photons part of the course hahaha.
Yeah I heard about that, my friend said it was the hardest unit 2 paper he'd seen

Feeling much more motivated for exams this year though

Posted from TSR Mobile

So a solid grade nonetheless :tongue:

That's awesome :biggrin: if you got around 90% last year and you're working better this year then who knows how high you can get.

50 marks was on electricity... Was ridiculous. Yeah me too! Photons was the best, the rest was crap. Hated waves. Couldn't even answer some questions in the exam
So a solid grade nonetheless :tongue:

That's awesome :biggrin: if you got around 90% last year and you're working better this year then who knows how high you can get.

50 marks was on electricity... Was ridiculous. Yeah me too! Photons was the best, the rest was crap. Hated waves. Couldn't even answer some questions in the exam

I only got about 85% in phys last year but also the coursework got moderated down by 10ums which was kind of annoying :P thanks ! :smile: am genuinely looking forward to the rest of the course, just started looking at g485 papers and they don't look that bad so far (on what we've covered like)

I know D: Waves were the worst imo because of how half arsed the explanations are. Like they don't fully explain HOW a standing wave is formed in a double open ended tune you just have to accept that it does

am definitely looking forward to physics at uni :P
Original post by Bude8
Dream Theater are my favourite atm!! I've heard of Periphery and their complex polyrhythms but I've never actually listened to them.

Actually, my friend wanted me to help him play Afterlife :lol: I don't know if we're actually going to do it, but it's for a concert thingy in March time

My life ambition atm is to be able to play all of Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement on the guitar, my pro guitar friend says it's the hardest thing he's ever seen on the guitar

I listen to older bands in general but I quite like tesseract and periphery :P
that would be so cool! post a video if you do \o/
gonna have a look at it now

holy jesus HOW
(edited 9 years ago)
I listen to older bands in general but I quite like tesseract and periphery :P
that would be so cool! post a video if you do \o/
gonna have a look at it now

I'm still too noob to understand how truly difficult it is, but I think it's going to be quite a few years before I could play that :lol: I'll check those out. I've been listening to a lot of Crossfaith recently too, couldn't believe they were Japanese :redface:
\m/
[video="youtube;MZuSaudKc68"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZuSaudKc68[/video]
I only got about 85% in phys last year but also the coursework got moderated down by 10ums which was kind of annoying :P thanks ! :smile: am genuinely looking forward to the rest of the course, just started looking at g485 papers and they don't look that bad so far (on what we've covered like)

I know D: Waves were the worst imo because of how half arsed the explanations are. Like they don't fully explain HOW a standing wave is formed in a double open ended tune you just have to accept that it does

am definitely looking forward to physics at uni :P

Coursework doesn't count... Keep it in terms of exams :wink: with Cambridge I think it was unfair you had rejection pre interview, because others had interviews at other colleges with same or lower UMS... :frown:

G484 is super easy. Like 20 mins and full UMS easy. G485... Haven't had a look. Shouldn't be too hard. But idk, it seems like it's gonna be a slog (I've already said how boring I find it all)

Urgh, I just skipped it lol, although, I liked drawing curves, felt smart
Coursework doesn't count... Keep it in terms of exams :wink: with Cambridge I think it was unfair you had rejection pre interview, because others had interviews at other colleges with same or lower UMS... :frown:

G484 is super easy. Like 20 mins and full UMS easy. G485... Haven't had a look. Shouldn't be too hard. But idk, it seems like it's gonna be a slog (I've already said how boring I find it all)

Urgh, I just skipped it lol, although, I liked drawing curves, felt smart

hahah xD yeah, idk, I kinda always had a feeling I wouldnt get an interview tbh but thanks man :smile: there are much better suited people for cambridge than me around! my rejection letter made me laugh a bit too, came across as super arrogant

yeah im just starting to go through papers for that at the moment and feeling like its literally just gonna take learning the definitions word for word and I'll be ready.
the mathsy questions are really good. some of the QWCs are horrific.... 7 marks for a medical imaging one D: :cry:
hahah xD yeah, idk, I kinda always had a feeling I wouldnt get an interview tbh but thanks man :smile: there are much better suited people for cambridge than me around! my rejection letter made me laugh a bit too, came across as super arrogant

yeah im just starting to go through papers for that at the moment and feeling like its literally just gonna take learning the definitions word for word and I'll be ready.
the mathsy questions are really good. some of the QWCs are horrific.... 7 marks for a medical imaging one D: :cry:

Oooh, what did the letter say? If you don't mind me asking

Lol I don't bother learning definitions I just hope for the best. Most of the time those are all the marks I lose, so I'm a bit silly for not j learning them

Urgh medical, I'm gonna hate that.
x

So to gain a better appreciation of how difficult it is, I looked at the tab and tried it and yeah... :indiff:
Oooh, what did the letter say? If you don't mind me asking

Lol I don't bother learning definitions I just hope for the best. Most of the time those are all the marks I lose, so I'm a bit silly for not j learning them

Urgh medical, I'm gonna hate that.

I don't think I've got it any more, but it was along the lines of
"with regret your application is not being taken any further, thank you etc etc" then the line that got me was " we are deeply sorry for the disappointment this has inevitably caused you"

I just try and get the key words that the markscheme seems to highlight, one that springs to mind is "TOTAL" when describing "the principle of the conservation of momentum"

Yeah, we've not properly started it yet but I had a look at it and I swear to god its essays :frown: :frown:
Original post by Bude8
So to gain a better appreciation of how difficult it is, I looked at the tab and tried it and yeah... :indiff:

lol trying to learn a song by tabs just frustrates the hell out of me :frown:
lol trying to learn a song by tabs just frustrates the hell out of me :frown:

I learn from a YouTube channel called GuitarLessons365Song and he walks you through nicely a lot of songs - he's done tutorials for The Best of Times and Glasgow Kiss which I'm learning at the moment, might be handy when you pick the guitar up again :dontknow: I don't really like tabs that much but I think the best I can do atm is learn from the tab and compare myself to Dr Viossy :lol:

Latest