The Student Room Group

GIRLS! Would you mind being a housewife?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xylas
Cool, if you actually met me you would instantly take back calling me old-fashioned. Also, since you took the liberty of interjecting into my reply to someone else, how about you address what I actually said to that person. Do you work full-time? Is your husband rich?

Aw, that's cute.

I interjected into your reply because you were telling someone they were living in fantasy land, while I know the opposite to be true. What you expressed was an old-fashioned view; whether you're old-fashioned in general is a different matter.

My husband and I are both full-time students; before we went back to education, yes he was significantly richer than me, and will quite possibly be again in the future depending on what specific fields we work in.
Yes I would mind.

I'll have a degree and want my career and the idea of being entirely dependent on someone else to the point where I'm given an "allowance" etc. isn't something I'd be comfortable with. There's also the fact that being in the house for even a couple of days drives me mad, so I'm not going to be someone who stays in the house doing everything full time.

Maybe part time, if I had children.
I understand someone may have to make some sacrifices and it would be me, but not full time.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
People in that situation are often bored out of their minds and seek out work just to escape from the mindless tedium. Even if you are rich enough to holiday all the time, it can only be so much fun, especially for intelligent people.

I can't imagine not wanting to have interesting work and especially I can't imagine having my income totally dependent on a man.

At least you'll have that choice to seek out work whether you want to or not. I'm not saying being a housewife would be perfect but it must be easier than doing a stressful job that didn't bring much in.

Original post by Le Nombre
Have you ever considered that for some people the stress is part of what they enjoy? The buzz of working flat out knowing that you have to get XYZ done.

Also, why would you volunteer doing the jobs most on TSR aspire to? If you're a doctor or lawyer whose services are literally worth hundreds of pounds an hour it seems daft to just do it for free.

I'm doing medicine and I know I'd never ever do that for free, but if i had the choice to not have to work and take up another hobby, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Our lives are just surrounded by education from birth and then constant work until we retire by which it's kinda too late to do most of what we want to do. There's so much I'd love to be able to explore that I can't because of the fact that I'll be working for the rest of my working life.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Something that is never open to me as I am a man :sad:

Although I'm not sure I would actually want it, for my own sanity and the unfairness of it. But something like a shared part time set up would be appealing. Or we both have lower paying jobs which are more enjoyable and give us more free time compared to just me having a higher paid/longer hours more stressful job. I would definitely become resentful if I had to work a hard full time job whilst my significant other didn't work at all in the long term. It would definitely strain a relationship as I would feel I am being taken for granted.

I'm not someone who needs a 24/7 job to feel fulfilled. There is lots of other stuff to do, volunteering, hobbies, child rearing etc. What happens if I wanted to spend more time with my children than with a job? Working part time and then having more time to do this other stuff would definitely be appealing to me. Women seem to have more options open to them in what is deemed acceptable, they can be anything from full on house wife to full on career woman as well as what lies between. Which is good. But this flexibility doesn't really exist for men.

Lots of females on here are saying they would never want that but that isn't the point. You have the choice. Plus you may change your mind when you are sick to death of your job and the option to work less comes open later on in your life for whatever reason, maybe you are having a child. Men get sod all paternity leave. So already in that situation they are getting funneled into being the main bread earner.

I vaguely agree with you. It's not about just being bored out of your mind, it's about the fact that there'll be a choice. A choice to work or take up a hobby or other leisure activities. Like, who wouldn't want that?

I'm content with the fact that I'll always be working, grateful even but if i had the choice not to work and take up something new I'd do that in a heartbeat.
Reply 84
Nope!! Wouldn't really mind tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by *pitseleh*
Aw, that's cute.

I interjected into your reply because you were telling someone they were living in fantasy land, while I know? the opposite to be true. What you expressed was an old-fashioned view; whether you're old-fashioned in general is a different matter.

My husband and I are both full-time students; before we went back to education, yes he was significantly richer than me, and will quite possibly be again in the future depending on what specific fields we work in.

It's cute that you're on a forum for students who are nearly all younger than you, telling them they're old-fashioned. Did you consider that? No.

You don't seem to know anything about this matter, actually. You just revealed that neither of you work so that puts you in the minority I'm afraid.
As a man I'd expect my wife to work enough to cover her enjoyment spending (say a grand a month so she can shop and whatever she likes) but I don't really want a career woman and would prefer he to look after the children while she was between them (I'm having 3 so 4-5 years). Once she goes back to work part time we can have a nanny and cleaner.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
At least you'll have that choice to seek out work whether you want to or not. I'm not saying being a housewife would be perfect but it must be easier than doing a stressful job that didn't bring much in.

I'm doing medicine and I know I'd never ever do that for free, but if i had the choice to not have to work and take up another hobby, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Our lives are just surrounded by education from birth and then constant work until we retire by which it's kinda too late to do most of what we want to do. There's so much I'd love to be able to explore that I can't because of the fact that I'll be working for the rest of my working life.

I vaguely agree with you. It's not about just being bored out of your mind, it's about the fact that there'll be a choice. A choice to work or take up a hobby or other leisure activities. Like, who wouldn't want that?

I'm content with the fact that I'll always be working, grateful even but if i had the choice not to work and take up something new I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Do you not think you'd miss the buzz of working in intense situations? Also, how do you know you won't be able to give up work? I mean you might be able to even do it marrying another doc, but certainly if you married someone earning couple of hundred grand plus it'd be an option.
i'd rather work so if he leaves me i could still be independent
Reply 89
Original post by tnshattock
50s-60s style, stay at home housewife. Being financially dependent on your partner, cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kid(s) until your partner got back.

Assume that your future husband is a decent one, who does not take you foregranted, and actually gives you the money for things, plus an allowance, etc.

The values of the ideal 50s-60s era home, just for the sake of this scenario.

Would you mind being a housewife?

Due to marxist brainwashing, i.e defeminisation of women and the emasculation of men, less and less British women (and men) want to adhere to the traditional European family unit. I'm haven't read the responses to your question and don't intend to, as I know it will be a sad reflection of our decaying society. Can't wait to leave!
Original post by Secretnerd123
Wouldn't that mean your degree was a waste of time?

Not really. I'd be a housewife in my mid-40s, not when I just got married. It doesn't really matter to me then.

If I have children, then I'd definitely be a housewife very early. It would be a sacrifice for sure, but I can't have my children around strangers.

Plus, you're not sitting around all day if you're a housewife. I'll think of new business ventures and start-ups/something related to my degree or career and make some money on the side or become self employed. I'll be a part time housewife when the children get a little older and know how to dial 999.
I would definitely mind. I would want everything to be split equally (cooking, cleaning, bills, looking after any kids we may have) but I'm also fine with doing things because we want to like "hey it's okay, I'll make dinner tonight" or if my partner can't cook, they can do dishes etc. I just don't want it to be expected.
Reply 92
I would not want to be a housewife, I love the idea of staying at home but the fact i will be financially dependent on someone scares me. Also I would feel as tho my education was wasted in someway.
Original post by Le Nombre
Do you not think you'd miss the buzz of working in intense situations? Also, how do you know you won't be able to give up work? I mean you might be able to even do it marrying another doc, but certainly if you married someone earning couple of hundred grand plus it'd be an option.

The buzz of working in intense and high pressure situations is one of the advantages and enjoyments of my course. But that is one of the only benefits and that's almost balanced out by numerous disadvantages involved too.

Yes I might be able to completely give up work but that's unlikely, at most I'll be working part time.
Original post by xylas
It's cute that you're on a forum for students who are nearly all younger than you, telling them they're old-fashioned. Did you consider that? No.

You don't seem to know anything about this matter, actually. You just revealed that neither of you work so that puts you in the minority I'm afraid.

Haha, you appear to be living proof that chronological age has nothing to do with how outmoded your views are. You also appear to be incapable of basic comprehension, since you clearly missed (or chose to overlook) the part where I mentioned that we'd gone *back* to education (I also didn't say that we don't work - just that we're full-time students. As it happens, we both work, just as we did before this degree and throughout our first degrees). It may also surprise you to learn that, being that little bit older, I know quite a few other married couples who - shock, horror - are also decidedly more modern than the view you're putting across.

Again: you expressed a backwards opinion; I pointed out that that's not how things work in the real world outside of your head. If you can't get over that, that's your problem.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
The buzz of working in intense and high pressure situations is one of the advantages and enjoyments of my course. But that is one of the only benefits and that's almost balanced out by numerous disadvantages involved too.

Yes I might be able to completely give up work but that's unlikely, at most I'll be working part time.

Not if you play the game right, there's plenty of guys out there earning 200-300k, upwards of 500k admittedly rarer but certainly doable in certain bars and clubs.
Reply 96
Original post by *pitseleh*
Haha, you appear to be living proof that chronological age has nothing to do with how outmoded your views are. You also appear to be incapable of basic comprehension, since you clearly missed (or chose to overlook) the part where I mentioned that we'd gone *back* to education (I also didn't say that we don't work - just that we're full-time students. As it happens, we both work, just as we did before this degree and throughout our first degrees). It may also surprise you to learn that, being that little bit older, I know quite a few other married couples who - shock, horror - are also decidedly more modern than the view you're putting across.

Again: you expressed a backwards opinion; I pointed out that that's not how things work in the real world outside of your head. If you can't get over that, that's your problem.

Good you've changed your language to I "appear" to be something (to you) rather than telling me that I am. That's great I won't read it and you can keep it to yourself from now on.

You said that you are both full-time students. Now you choose to qualify what you meant by that. Good for you that's got nothing to do with me. I asked you two very specific questions and your answer was no to both of them.

Go study some more, I can see why that would be good for you. In the future you should learn not to use ad hominem and straw-man arguments so people will take what you say seriously.
Original post by xylas
Good you've changed your language to I "appear" to be something (to you) rather than telling me that I am. That's great I won't read it and you can keep it to yourself from now on.

You said that you are both full-time students. Now you choose to qualify what you meant by that. Good for you that's got nothing to do with me. I asked you two very specific questions and your answer was no to both of them.

Go study some more, I can see why that would be good for you. In the future you should learn not to use ad hominem and straw-man arguments so people will take what you say seriously.

Goodness, you are witty. And well done, you've learned the names of some logical fallacies.. only it's hardly ad hom if I criticise your outdated viewpoint and then give you an example of why it's wrong. Nice try, though.

As you seem to be incapable of simply accepting that your original statement was incorrect, there seems to be little point in continuing this. Oh well. I'll let you post last, since judging by your previous posts I'm not sure you'll handle not having the opportunity to have the last word. You have fun with that! :yep:
(edited 9 years ago)
The idea of being a housewife is a nightmare to me, I'd be bored stiff! I need to use my brain and I'm not wasting the time and money myself and my parents have put into education to become a housewife. I also need my own independence and financial security and I want to feel accomplished and not vulnerable and relying on a man to support me! Plus, I'm a terrible cook and wouldn't be too good at the other aspects of it. I also would like children but it would be an equal effort between myself and my partner and that's in terms of housework too!
Think I'd hate it. I want to earn my own money and buy my own ****

Quick Reply

Latest