The Student Room Group

The war in Afghanistan is officially over. Lol yeah right.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MatureStudent36
Difficult one.

The mujahideen weren't one grouping. They were made up of what was called the Peshawar seven. They spent as much time fighting against each other as they did the soviets.

There's been isolated reports of individual soldiers turning over to the enemy. We've see. Nothing lie the battalion/regimental switches that had historically happened. You've also forgotten about those TB members who have also switched sides.

Well I just think that taking all the troops out is a little drastic. Given the regime that existed beforehand in 2001, surely the country needs something similar to what happened to Germany in 1945 (rigorous de-Nazification). And I believe there are still Western troops in Germany, to this day...
Original post by felamaslen
Well I just think that taking all the troops out is a little drastic. Given the regime that existed beforehand in 2001, surely the country needs something similar to what happened to Germany in 1945 (rigorous de-Nazification). And I believe there are still Western troops in Germany, to this day...

They've had 13 years to get ready for this. The afghan army units I dealt with came on leap and bounds. Remeber that it's only combat operations that have stopped. There's still troops out there supporting.
They've had 13 years to get ready for this. The afghan army units I dealt with came on leap and bounds. Remeber that it's only combat operations that have stopped. There's still troops out there supporting.

Oh? I was under the impression that they're all coming home. My mistake.
Oh? I was under the impression that they're all coming home. My mistake.

The bulk have. The US are leaving a bigger footprint than anybody else but

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/may/20/special-forces-stay-in-afghanistan
The bulk have. The US are leaving a bigger footprint than anybody else but

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/may/20/special-forces-stay-in-afghanistan

Have to laugh at some of the comments on that article. Apparently some people think that the UK should leave NATO, and the war in Afghanistan was an exercise in "yankee imperialism" (rather than a legitimate defence against a force for evil). :rolleyes:
Have to laugh at some of the comments on that article. Apparently some people think that the UK should leave NATO, and the war in Afghanistan was an exercise in "yankee imperialism" (rather than a legitimate defence against a force for evil). :rolleyes:

There's an awful lot of extreme left of the political spectrum who still see the US as the modern day satan.
There's an awful lot of extreme left of the political spectrum who still see the US as the modern day satan.

Starting to struggle to tell whether these people are far-leftists or Islamists though... that says something tragic about the left. (I don't identify with the right either; they have their fair share of idiots, although they have a slightly less embarrassing track record of who they have supported and been against politically).
Reply 27
There's plenty in the middle who do too and probably some on the right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending