The Student Room Group

C1 in Year 11?

THREAD FINISHED: NO NEED TO ANSWER.

The Maths department at my school is retarded, and have decided (presumably several years ago) it'd be a good idea to make Year 11s (who aren't in bottom set) do an 'AQA Level 2 Certificate/iGCSE in Further Maths when they have 10 GCSEs to revise already (11 for someone like me who chose Greek as extra- everyone except the bottom sets in my year have already done Maths GCSE in Year 10).

They say that you can choose to do C1 in Year 11 as extra.

Here's the problem:

I want to do Maths and Further Maths for A level.

My school says to choose Maths with Further Maths you must have A* at GCSE Maths (accomplished :smile:) and some success beyond GCSE:

*either A^ (A* with distinction- a pointless grade) at iGCSE Further Maths
*80% in C1, if you choose to do it.

Don't they understand I already have A* at GCSE Maths, and I need to focus on other subjects to get my dream grades of 11 A*s and 1 A?

I'm worried that C1 would be an extra burden to my 2015 exam season, but I'm not sure whether to take it as compensation in case I fail (by that I mean not getting A^) in IGCSE Further Maths, since I have so many other things to do (my plan includes revising during breaks and lunchtimes from next week to get thousands of minutes advantage in revision, past papers, and note making over my form)

So, should I take C1 in Year 11?

And what happens if I deliberately miss all the exams I am entered for because I don't want to do it?

And how many marks do I lose if I make the silliest mistake in C1: forgetting to put +c at the end of my answer in the integration question.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by flibber
The Maths department at my school are retarded, and have decided (presumably several years ago) it'd be a good idea to make Year 11s (who aren't in bottom set) do an 'AQA Level 2 Certificate/iGCSE in Further Maths when they have 10 GCSEs to revise already (11 for someone like me who chose Greek as extra- everyone except the bottom sets in my year have already done Maths GCSE in Year 10).

Here's the problem:

My school says to choose Maths with Further Maths you must have A* at GCSE Maths (accomplished :smile:) and some success beyond GCSE:

Don't they understand I already have A* at GCSE Maths, and I need to focus on other subjects to get my dream grades of 11 A*s and 1 A?

I'm worried that C1 would be an extra burden to my 2015 exam season, but I'm not sure whether to take it as compensation in case I fail (by that I mean not getting A^) in IGCSE Further Maths, since I have so many other things to do (my plan includes revising during breaks and lunchtimes from next week to get thousands of minutes advantage in revision, past papers, and note making over my form)

And what happens if I deliberately miss all the exams I am entered for because I don't want to do it?

Dear fellow Greek you have some of my sympathy

when you make any policy at any level you try to cater for the majority and there will always be a few individuals that get the rough end of the stick.

Why don't you get your parents (nicely) involved

PS: Most Year 11s are not mathematically mature to do themselves justice with early A levels unless they had some serious extra help in earlier years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by flibber
The Maths department at my school are retarded, and have decided (presumably several years ago) it'd be a good idea to make Year 11s (who aren't in bottom set) do an 'AQA Level 2 Certificate/iGCSE in Further Maths when they have 10 GCSEs to revise already (11 for someone like me who chose Greek as extra- everyone except the bottom sets in my year have already done Maths GCSE in Year 10).

Here's the problem:

And how many marks do I lose if I make the silliest mistake in C1: forgetting to put +c at the end of my answer in the integration question.

It would be a mistake for you to take C1. AQA Level 2 Certificate in FM, on the other hand, is an entirely appropriate bridging qualification.
Original post by flibber
Won't taking C1 in Year 11 mean I'll have one less module to study for in Year 12?

Chances are you'll have to resit it to get a decent grade and that will count against you at some universities.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
Chances are you'll have to resit it to get a decent grade and that will count against you at some universities.

Wouldn't it not be as bad as in most cases, as the rest of the Core Modules build on C1, so by revising C2 I would by default by revising C1?
Original post by flibber
Wouldn't it not be as bad as in most cases, as the rest of the Core Modules build on C1, so by revising C2 I would by default by revising C1?

There is little content overlap between C1 and C2. Why did you ask for advice if you don't want to take it?
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
There is little content overlap between C1 and C2. Why did you ask for advice if you don't want to take it?

There's one other factor involved; I think most people in top set will take C1 in Year 11; it makes me look awkward if I don't.

Otherwise, I shall accept your advice.

EDIT: Forget my last point. Thread finished, and thank you for your advice.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest