The Student Room Group

Should The Scottish Government Scrap The Freebies?

This poll is closed

Should the Scottish Government Scrap the Freebies?

Council Tax Freeze 20%
Free Tuition for Further and Higher Education 40%
Free Personal Care 0%
Free Prescriptions40%
Total votes: 5
Does anyone think the Scottish Government should scrap the 'free' things they give to the Scottish people and invest in maybe bringing back manufacturing or infrastructure projects or anything that will bring quality jobs for people and increase the tax take?
The free things:
- Free tuition for further and higher education
- Free prescriptions
- Free personal care
Have I missed anything?
But, personally, I would still like our NHS to remain free at point of need.
I would like to know what people think the Scottish Government should spend the money on rather than all these free things.
What I don't understand is why the Scottish Government want to give free education when there is not an endless supply of jobs in this country. They get free tuition here only for them to benefit London or Australia or any traditional escape route countries for Scots. Even if they did scrap it, it would still be much cheaper than south of the border. It is 5 times the price south of the border so Scots would still get it cheaper.

Scroll to see replies

If the Tories have a majority come May 7th then the Scottish budget will be slashed and some of these things may be forced to end.
Reply 2
Oh, I forgot the council tax freeze too. Who would like to see that go? Who thinks it is a bad policy to have a freeze on council tax?
I think "freebies" is a somewhat misused term. We get certain things for "free" on the basis that we don't get other things. For example, "free" university tuition, but vocational college places slashed. I could be cynical and suggest that the SNP may be being somewhat strategic in where they offer freebies, so that there's at least something for everyone.

It would be useful if we could see a list of "freebies" that we receive and their cost.
Reply 4
Considering that the state spends too much I don't think anybody should be burdened with taxation.

I do think there should be a financial penalty to university.

Care is fair enough.

Prescriptions should be paid for by the consumer.
Original post by Smack
I think "freebies" is a somewhat misused term. We get certain things for "free" on the basis that we don't get other things. For example, "free" university tuition, but vocational college places slashed. I could be cynical and suggest that the SNP may be being somewhat strategic in where they offer freebies, so that there's at least something for everyone.

It would be useful if we could see a list of "freebies" that we receive and their cost.

1% increase in soending on nhs scotland compared to 4% on nhs England.

You're right though. These things aren't free, they're funded from elsewhere.

The council tax freeze for example has seen result in a real term cut in council funding that has impacted on some of the most vulnerable in society.
Reply 6
Original post by Choo.choo
and invest in maybe bringing back manufacturing or infrastructure projects or anything that will bring quality jobs for people and increase the tax take?
The free things:
- Free tuition for further and higher education
- Free prescriptions
- Free personal care

What infrastructure projects? Mebby another bridge other the forth? More wind turbines? A 100,000 seater upgrade to Hampden?

Nope, a population that lives longer and is better educated works for me better than trying to fight market forces and build stuff we don't need.

Your forgot RET, happy to get rid of that although I was looking forward to using it something this year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Quady
What infrastructure projects? Mebby another bridge other the forth? More wind turbines? A 100,000 seater upgrade to Hampden?

Nope, a population that lives longer and is better educated works for me better than trying to fight market forces and build stuff we don't need.

Your forgot RET, happy to get rid of that although I was looking forward to using it something this year.

Choo Choo is a disciple of salmond.
Remember the promise of shovel ready infrastructure projects to kick start the economy that salmond and Swinney made?

All we've really had is one of their supporters buy up a shipbuikding company in the cheap because the Scottiah government delayed the announcement of a contract.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-28928160
Reply 8
Original post by MatureStudent36
Choo Choo is a disciple of salmond.
Remember the promise of shovel ready infrastructure projects to kick start the economy that salmond and Swinney made?

All we've really had is one of their supporters buy up a shipbuikding company in the cheap because the Scottiah government delayed the announcement of a contract.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-28928160

The 10-point plan they had in mind was nothing exceptional to be honest. They did not have a credible plan from the start. Only 1.6million people bought what they told us. I will always support an independent Scotland regardless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28741265

Some of them are good but nothing remarkable.
The 10-point plan they had in mind was nothing exceptional to be honest. They did not have a credible plan from the start. Only 1.6million people bought what they told us. I will always support an independent Scotland regardless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28741265

Some of them are good but nothing remarkable.

So nothing in their ten point plan that can't be done now?
I see their infamous childcare claim is in there.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/report-reveals-tax-blow-to-snp-s-childcare-policy-1-3364890
Reply 10
What I don't understand is why the Scottish Government want to give free education when there is not an endless supply of jobs in this country. They get free tuition here only for them to benefit London or Australia or any traditional escape route countries for Scots.

You've kinda answered your own question. Its to try and reduce the brain drain at the point of choosing uni in the hope more people stay in Scotland permanently.
Reply 11
Original post by Quady
You've kinda answered your own question. Its to try and reduce the brain drain at the point of choosing uni in the hope more people stay in Scotland permanently.

But how can they stay here when there are no jobs. People go where the jobs are. In my view, it is a pointless policy and as I already said it would still be cheaper than south of the border were it to be scrapped.
But how can they stay here when there are no jobs. People go where the jobs are. In my view, it is a pointless policy and as I already said it would still be cheaper than south of the border were it to be scrapped.

You're talking heresy there choo Choo.

Scottish students leaving scotland to study may result in them realising that there's no difference between scotalnd and the rest of the UK.why do you think salmond and the snp are so desperate to stop them mixing?

The SNP's vision of Scotland is Norway. Its likely they'd just expand the public sector employment.
No, as long as they pay for them, not subsidised by the English taxpayer
Reply 15

Unemployment in Scotland is lower than the UK.

I moved from England to Scotland for a job...

It wouldn't be that much cheaper, 20% if that. Universities tend to own the land they are on, so its only really wages which cost more, and not significantly so.
Reply 16
Original post by Quady
Unemployment in Scotland is lower than the UK.

I moved from England to Scotland for a job...

It wouldn't be that much cheaper, 20% if that. Universities tend to own the land they are on, so its only really wages which cost more, and not significantly so.

Well done on getting a job here then. Does it pay well? In Norway, the average wage of their poorest workers is about £25,000. In Scotland it is between £5000-£6,000. Most graduate schemes pay dreadful wages but they need to pay you dreadful wages to keep their shareholders happy. I'd prefer a John Lewis economy where all profits are paid to employees and not to shareholders. It would be great to leave work every Christmas with a big fat bonus. Some employees can walk out with a £1,500 bonus in their pay.
Well done on getting a job here then. Does it pay well? In Norway, the average wage of their poorest workers is about £25,000. In Scotland it is between £5000-£6,000. Most graduate schemes pay dreadful wages but they need to pay you dreadful wages to keep their shareholders happy. I'd prefer a John Lewis economy where all profits are paid to employees and not to shareholders. It would be great to leave work every Christmas with a big fat bonus. Some employees can walk out with a £1,500 bonus in their pay.

Your not comparing like with like. The minimum wage at 40 hours is over 14k per year.
Reply 18

£49,400

The grad scheme pays £27k in year one where I work. My job is the promotion from the grad scheme.

Are you purposely forgetting that Norway is one of the most expensive places to live in the world? Could you link me to the £25k vs £5k average pay of poorest workers figures? £5k is 15hr a week on NMW. I smell BS... you can still claim JSA if you do 15 hours.
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21
Your not comparing like with like. The minimum wage at 40 hours is over 14k per year.

How can you live a comfortable lifestyle on that kind of wage? How much are you left with when you have paid the government some of that? Hardly liveable. A decent wage nowadays would be £27k minimum. Anything below that is not liveable. But it will be 30 years from now before that happens - but only if Scotland becomes independent and the SNP stop all this nonsense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending