The Student Room Group

2015 Nursing Applications - Where? Which Branch?

Scroll to see replies

What I don't understand is how Swansea rejected me yet I has an interview for Nottingham and an offer from southampton. Makes no sense. Has anyone been in the same situation?
Reply 861
Original post by BellaPembers
Anyone attending Southampton on the 17th Jan?

I am, yes!
Original post by Hero-H
I am, yes!

I've booked the 9-1 selection day. It seems so far away! Nervous but also really excited. :smile:
Reply 863
Original post by BellaPembers
I've booked the 9-1 selection day. It seems so far away! Nervous but also really excited. :smile:

I booked the session at 1pm so I could travel up on the day as opposed to having to stay over the night before hah! Just two weeks to go, I'm nervous too but I'm really looking forward to. It's easily one of the best nursing schools in the country and the course is fab!
Original post by elliemacdougall
What I don't understand is how Swansea rejected me yet I has an interview for Nottingham and an offer from southampton. Makes no sense. Has anyone been in the same situation?

I have an interview at Hertfordshire Uni and coventry uni rejected me with no interview or anything. I'm still waiting on my other choices.
Original post by monicanicole
I have an interview at Hertfordshire Uni and coventry uni rejected me with no interview or anything. I'm still waiting on my other choices.

I just don't get why the worst university's reject us then the best oes we chose accept us?
I'm looking into applying for Nursing courses, entering January 2016 or September 2016 (I may apply for this year, but only have 11 days to get an application together, so it'd be a push!)

I'm struggling to find which courses I can apply to with my A level portfolio- would appreciate some suggestions or points towards websites that take into account subject as well as grade when shortlisting suitable universities!

I have A levels in Classics (A), English Literature (B) and Religious Studies (B) and an AS in French (B).

I also have a strong GCSE portfolio of science subjects that I will list below:
Core Science (A)
Additional Science (A)
Biology (A)
Chemistry(B)

I currently live in Birmingham and would prefer to not have to commute over an hour and a half, 2 hours at most, and may consider relocating.

I'm currently planning to apply for mental health nursing at both Coventry and Wolverhampton but don't want to waste my other choices just because I've been a bit overwhelmed by options!

Any advice?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm also looking at Nottingham and Keele.
If you have work/personal experience of mental health; and you are able to reflect on your experience in your PS, you will have no issues gaining entry to Coventry or Wolverhampton university. I have an interview at Wolverhampton on wednesday for Mental Health Nursing :gasp:

Good luck :biggrin:

Original post by MolluscBaby
I'm looking into applying for Nursing courses, entering January 2016 or September 2016 (I may apply for this year, but only have 11 days to get an application together, so it'd be a push!)

I'm struggling to find which courses I can apply to with my A level portfolio- would appreciate some suggestions or points towards websites that take into account subject as well as grade when shortlisting suitable universities!

I have A levels in Classics (A), English Literature (B) and Religious Studies (B) and an AS in French (B).

I also have a strong GCSE portfolio of science subjects that I will list below:
Core Science (A)
Additional Science (A)
Biology (A)
Chemistry(B)

I currently live in Birmingham and would prefer to not have to commute over an hour and a half, 2 hours at most, and may consider relocating.

I'm currently planning to apply for mental health nursing at both Coventry and Wolverhampton but don't want to waste my other choices just because I've been a bit overwhelmed by options!

Any advice?
Original post by Trapped
If you have work/personal experience of mental health; and you are able to reflect on your experience in your PS, you will have no issues gaining entry to Coventry or Wolverhampton university. I have an interview at Wolverhampton on wednesday for Mental Health Nursing :gasp:

Good luck :biggrin:

Thank you for this reassurance!

I do in fact have personal experience of mental health- both myself and mother have struggled with depression and anxiety for many years. I grew up learning to understand and support her, and eventually learning how to cope and overcome my own illness.

I am quite worried about mentioning my own experience of mental illness in case it puts admission officers off, but it is what has led me to be so interested and motivated in a career in mental health nursing- any advice regarding that?
Hey,

I think the key point here is showing that you are able to reflect on the experiences you have had, and use them to add to your application and knowledge. This could work favours for you in a number of ways as it may show:

- That you have first hand experience;
- You understand the recovery;
- You have recovered so know what help there is; and
- You have more empathy.

Try not to go into too much detail.

You have plenty of time left to apply for this year :biggrin:

Original post by MolluscBaby
Thank you for this reassurance!

I do in fact have personal experience of mental health- both myself and mother have struggled with depression and anxiety for many years. I grew up learning to understand and support her, and eventually learning how to cope and overcome my own illness.

I am quite worried about mentioning my own experience of mental illness in case it puts admission officers off, but it is what has led me to be so interested and motivated in a career in mental health nursing- any advice regarding that?
Original post by Trapped
Hey,

I think the key point here is showing that you are able to reflect on the experiences you have had, and use them to add to your application and knowledge. This could work favours for you in a number of ways as it may show:

- That you have first hand experience;
- You understand the recovery;
- You have recovered so know what help there is; and
- You have more empathy.

Try not to go into too much detail.

You have plenty of time left to apply for this year :biggrin:

That's along the lines of what I was planning to do! :smile:

And yeaaah, I'm pretty sure I can get an application in for this year, but I'm just worried that my referee will drag their feet or not have enough time to get a decent reference written. But fingers crossed!

PS. Good luck with your interview! Let me know how it goes!
Has anyone been to a southampton interview? I have mine on tuesday and have no idea what to expect. Can anyone help???
Reply 873
i have an interview at the university of birmingham for nursing on Jan 21st has anyone had an interview for here? if so what should i expect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jac800K
I had mine at the end of November and got an offer for dual adult and child 2 weeks later! Everyone arrives and they give you name labels, then they take you into a room full of desks where you put all of your documents (original and photocopied) into a folder, which they then take away for checking during the interviews. Then they split everyone up into 2 halves; one half does the interview first and the other half does the tests first. I went to the group interview first and there were 7 others- might be worth chatting to the people sitting around you in the room because most of the groups were made up of one row of desks. I had a really nice discussion topic, based on the 6 C's but I heard that another group's was pretty nasty! Because there are so many of you it can be a bit tricky to get good points across, but try and make as many good points, without taking over. There are 2 interviewers in the room with you, and you all sit round a table with a big piece of paper in the middle. After that you do the other element- the maths test was fine as long as you're up to speed on GCSE stuff, and english is quite tight for time but as long as you've read over the documents they give you you'll be fine! They then give you a drink and biscuits, before a big question and answer session with the academic staff, admissions officers and current students. Hope that helps!

Really helpful, thank you for this :smile:
Anybody have an interview for Anglian Ruskin Cambridge on Wednesday 7th Jan ??
Reply 876
Has anyone had an interview at Kingston uni? What was it like? :smile:
I firmed the University of Leeds on the 10th December (for adult nursing) and I haven't received a letter in the post. Wondering if anyone else on this thread has firmed a place for nursing there & heard anything back?
Original post by Lottielouisec
Anybody have an interview for Anglian Ruskin Cambridge on Wednesday 7th Jan ??

I have applied to this campus, how long did it take to hear from them? Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jessie113
I have applied to this campus, how long did it take to hear from them? Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

about 2 weeks. :smile: thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending