Just hold on to that guitar
You could build back muscle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Isis_on_the_cake
You could build back muscle

Posted from TSR Mobile

how?
Would you be willing to offer picture of your current posture?
Original post by tnshattock
how?

If you google 'female back workouts' I'm sure you will find a lot of options or if you don't want to go to the gym you could just get a set of Dumbbells and do most of the stuff at home

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
1) how to achieve good posture without backache
2) how to maintain good posture

???

"Ideal" posture is the alignment of the body segments from the skull to the feet.

Ideal posture would thus be an "imaginary line" that is slightly behind to the coronal suture of the skull --> Pass through the middle of the hole of the ear (external auditory meatus) --> Pass through the middle of the shoulder --> Pass just behind the bony hip bone (Greater Trochanter) --> Slightly in front of the middle of the knee joint --> Through the bony part of the ankle on the outer side (Lateral Malleolus).

How to maintain good posture?

Imagine you have a piece of string through the center of your body (similar to a puppet), now imagine someone is pulling this string directly upwards - you You should be sitting up straight --> Your head should be straightened, your eyes should be looking directly forwards --> Your shoulders pulled back (retracted), this brings your posture "closer" to ideal alignment.

Now with regards to the pain - this depends where you get the pain, if its between your shoulder blades you should have weak or under-active retractors of the shoulder complex namely: Levator Scapulae, Rhomboid Major and Minor, Middle Trapezius, simple exercises include: http://drjaywarren.com/shoulder-retraction.php

However this pain requires more information, as it could be something totally different altogether.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by $hadow
"Ideal" posture is the alignment of the body segments from the skull to the feet.

Ideal posture would thus be an "imaginary line" that is slightly behind to the coronal suture of the skull --> Pass through the middle of the hole of the ear (external auditory meatus) --> Pass through the middle of the shoulder --> Pass just behind the bony hip bone (Greater Trochanter) --> Slightly in front of the middle of the knee joint --> Through the bony part of the ankle on the outer side (Lateral Malleolus).

How to maintain good posture?

Imagine you have a piece of string through the center of your body (similar to a puppet), now imagine someone is pulling this string directly upwards - you You should be sitting up straight --> Your head should be straightened, your eyes should be looking directly forwards --> Your shoulders pulled back (retracted), this brings your posture "closer" to ideal alignment.

Now with regards to the pain - this depends where you get the pain, if its between your shoulder blades you should have weak or under-active extensors of the shoulder complex namely: Levator Scapulae, Rhomboid Major and Minor, Middle Trapezius, simple exercises include: http://drjaywarren.com/shoulder-retraction.php

However this pain requires more information?

Thank you! Yes, the pain is sore, and mild- but still aches after trying to keep my posture aligned in this way for around 30 seconds. The ache isn't bad enough for me to stop standing or sitting up straight, but I'd rather not have it, naturally. It "tingles" as well as aches between my right shoulder blade and spine. I read about the trapezius yesterday, but did not understand or find any solutions.
Reply 8
Thank you! Yes, the pain is sore, and mild- but still aches after trying to keep my posture aligned in this way for around 30 seconds. The ache isn't bad enough for me to stop standing or sitting up straight, but I'd rather not have it, naturally. It "tingles" as well as aches between my right shoulder blade and spine. I read about the trapezius yesterday, but did not understand or find any solutions.

You welcome!

Okay, try strengthen the retractor muscles mentioned above: cable or theraband rows or any type of rowing or pulling movement should do this effectively), make sure you maintain good postural alignment whilst doing the exercises as well and see if the pain decreases and your tingles go away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WTyuyOeZBI
http://drjaywarren.com/shoulder-retraction.php

The "tingles" could be slight nerve compression from bad alignment or something more sinister, if this gets worse or spreads (ascends or descends further) take a visit to a GP to get this investigated.

Good luck
Reply 9
You might want to attend a few pilates classes. You shouldn't be attempting to stand "straight" but instead want a natural curve to your lower spine. Pilates will teach you how to focus on keeping a "neutral spine".

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't think posture was a real thing
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I didn't think posture was a real thing

What did you think it was?

Posted from TSR Mobile
how?

Deadlift the crap out of the heaviest thing you can find/manage :thumbsup:
Original post by Isis_on_the_cake
What did you think it was?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How straight your back is or something. I have never noticed someone's posture however, so to me it wouldn't have ever existed if it weren't for other people talking about it. A bit like thigh gaps.
yoga, baby
Yeh definitely try pilates and yoga, or swimming really helps, all build core muscles as well as back strength, plus they lengthen the spine so it comes more naturally.

I cycle a lot so am hunched up loads, my physio recommended all of these and it seems to have worked.

Ed

Quick Reply

Latest