The Student Room Group

Consistently getting As in C1 but never full marks???

As you all know, C1 is the easiest module
Our teacher has taught us all of C1, half of C2 and half of M1.
When I do past papers, I always getting 61/75 which is just bang on an A. I want to get 73+ in order to compensate if I get worse on my other modules. I can never seem to get this grade though.

Help?
C1 mock is next week and I need to proof to my teacher I'm capable of being predicted an A (in order for me to do this, I need to get a very high A 90+ UMS)

Scroll to see replies

Bump
Reply 2
What areas do you lose marks? Is it silly mistakes or do you not know content?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by econam
What areas do you lose marks? Is it silly mistakes or do you not know content?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No not silly mistakes - ive kind of gotten out of that zone
Where I lose mark is some questions are weirdly worded, and I'm like wtf.
Reply 4
Original post by schindlers list

Take some time to run them through your head, c1 isn't very pushed for time.

Practice as many questions as you can. Also try Solomon press papers - they couple all the tricky questions together. Which in my opinion makes good practice:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've criticised others for their use of grammar previously, so I have to mention the four mistakes in this post.

D1 is often seen as easier than C1.

If you're aiming for an A* overall, you only realistically need 70% at AS, so if that's your priority, you don't need to worry about getting 75 marks. On the other hand, if getting these marks is a matter of personal pride, then go ahead.

If you're capable of getting an A, your teacher should be able to see that. You shouldn't need to get high 90s in mocks to get predicted an A.

I suggest doing more past papers to get better used to the questions. Maybe a few Solomon papers as well if you've finished the others.
Original post by morgan8002
You've criticised others for their use of grammar previously, so I have to mention the four mistakes in this post.

D1 is often seen as easier than C1.

If you're aiming for an A* overall, you only realistically need 70% at AS, so if that's your priority, you don't need to worry about getting 75 marks. On the other hand, if getting these marks is a matter of personal pride, then go ahead.

If you're capable of getting an A, your teacher should be able to see that. You shouldn't need to get high 90s in mocks to get predicted an A.

I suggest doing more past papers to get better used to the questions. Maybe a few Solomon papers as well if you've finished the others.

I haven't been consistent with homeworks and test. Just caught everything up during the holidays. That's why I need a very high a to be able to prove it to him.
Also for an a*, you need 80% AS, and 90% A2 not 70% at AS???
You're making too many mistakes, where do you seem to drop marks? What are your weak topics?
Reply 8
I haven't been consistent with homeworks and test. Just caught everything up during the holidays. That's why I need a very high a to be able to prove it to him.

Is it not 80% UMS overall, and 90% UMS in A2?

So you could technically get 60% UMS (c) in AS and 100% UMS (A*) in A2?
Original post by Jitesh
Is it not 80% UMS overall, and 90% UMS in A2?

So you could technically get 60% UMS (c) in AS and 100% UMS (A*) in A2?

Yes, you are correct.
Technically you can, but I said 70% as this gives the smallest mark requirement at A2(90%), whereas if they got less(60%) at AS, they would need more at A2(100%).

It's 80% overall, 90% in A2 modules.
70% in AS, 90% in A2 satisfies this.
Original post by morgan8002
It's 80% overall, 90% in A2 modules.
70% in AS, 90% in A2 satisfies this.

Oh ok I see
But my main priority is to get all As in AS because if I reply on getting a B at AS to get an A* overall Ill probably end up getting worse.
Oh ok I see
But my main priority is to get all As in AS because if I reply on getting a B at AS to get an A* overall Ill probably end up getting worse.

Yes, what I'm trying to say is that you don't need 100% or close to. If you get that then that's good, but if you get a bit lower it doesn't matter too much.
Reply 13
As you all know, C1 is the easiest module
Our teacher has taught us all of C1, half of C2 and half of M1.
When I do past papers, I always getting 61/75 which is just bang on an A. I want to get 73+ in order to compensate if I get worse on my other modules. I can never seem to get this grade though.

Help?
C1 mock is next week and I need to proof to my teacher I'm capable of being predicted an A (in order for me to do this, I need to get a very high A 90+ UMS)

Just keep at it. From my experience, maths papers are very very repetitive so it's worth doing papers again and again so you can get use to the style of question.

Also, do you use the full time limit when you practice papers?
I got full marks in a few of my C1 and C2 mocks, found AS Maths really easy...

If there are any common mistakes you make, check over the (Edexcel) mark schemes and find out exactly what you have to do for every mark. That seemed to work well for me.

You'll laugh next year at how easy C1 and C2 were, currently doing C3 and C4 and they are killer!
Original post by DanTaylor

If there are any common mistakes you make, check over the (Edexcel) mark schemes and find out exactly what you have to do for every mark. That seemed to work well for me.

You'll laugh next year at how easy C1 and C2 were, currently doing C3 and C4 and they are killer!

Hah, this keeps happening again and again. Have done FP2 and FP3 and currently studying FP4 and STEP. C3 and C4 seem extremely easy now. No doubt in six months I'll feel like FP4 is easy as anything.
Original post by kanra
Just keep at it. From my experience, maths papers are very very repetitive so it's worth doing papers again and again so you can get use to the style of question.

Also, do you use the full time limit when you practice papers?

No lol
It's 90mins but I finish within like 50mins
No lol

A good tip I have is to try and get that down to 45 minutes for each module you take. This means that in your exam you have twice as much time as you need. Although mocks can get boring if they won't let you leave early.
Original post by DanTaylor

What year are you?
Reply 19
No lol

Exactly. In practice papers, people tend to just finish the paper and go to the mark scheme to see how they did, skipping the check-your-working stage. In the exam, you're stuck there anyway, so you might as well go over your answers.

Personally I made a load of mistakes in past papers, but still got an A* overall. Don't worry too much. As long as you get the maths and read the questions carefully in the exam, it should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest