The Student Room Group

What is a good way of advertising my blog?

I wrote a post this afternoon, and it has been viewed 5 times!

I have 990 subscribers FFS!

BUT 5 TIMES is beyond the pale.

Do I need social networking to make blogs work?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You need quality content and lots of it.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

I think the bull**** terminology to describe this is that you need to "develop some buzz". I've absolutely no idea how you do that. Compelling content and viral support and sharing of said content by subscribers.
Reply 3
Spread it on TSR?
Original post by Simes
You need quality content and lots of it.

I have 505 posts that are travel and travel-food related.

I just don't understand how I can have 990 subscribers and only half a dozen read it.

It makes a mockery of the whole system

It's easy to say create better content, but if nobody sees it then it doesn't matter it it's good or not really.

Just don't know how to promote my blog unless I spam tripadvisor message boards...but that will lead to a ban :wink:
social media, press, followers who spread your links, etc.
Original post by dead sheep eater
social media, press, followers who spread your links, etc.

The problem with Twitter is that unless I have lots of followers, nobody will see the links.
The problem with Twitter is that unless I have lots of followers, nobody will see the links.

its an interesting question, how do you get fame without having fame? when you have lots of followers, its so easy to get more; but how does a blog command respect?

I say make your blog so good that it is perceived as necessary
its an interesting question, how do you get fame without having fame? when you have lots of followers, its so easy to get more; but how does a blog command respect?

I say make your blog so good that it is perceived as necessary

Yeah but that's easier said than done!
Yeah but that's easier said than done!

you could write an email to a more popular blog and negotiate with them maybe?
Reply 10
how does a blog command respect?
'command' respect? A blog?

A blog is pull technology. It cannot 'command' respect.

It must earn respect.
Original post by Simes
'command' respect? A blog?

A blog is pull technology. It cannot 'command' respect.

It must earn respect.

command, as in: so good it demands it. you add little more than pedanticism.
Reply 12
command, as in: so good it demands it. you add little more than pedanticism.
pedantry.

Anyway, I stick by what I said. It is a blog. Not a TV channel or radio station or international magazine. A web site. Amongst billions or trillions. It cannot 'command' anything.

Can i see your blog?
Original post by Simes
pedantry.

Anyway, I stick by what I said. It is a blog. Not a TV channel or radio station or international magazine. A web site. Amongst billions or trillions. It cannot 'command' anything.

I do not mean this as an insult; but are you autistic? Pedantry and literal mindedness are common characteristics. It would take a very literal mind not to understand the act of personifying; of course a blog cannot command anything, as the wind cannot sing or rain be angry.
Well some types of blogs are more popular than others, is your blog niche? What platform is it on? Maybe try and get people to promote you or make friends with other bloggers? This helped me a lot (granted my blog is on tumblr where its easier to get followers anyway)
Another piece of advice; get people interested in YOU as a blogger, not just your blog. Someone could have a great blog, but if it's completely impersonal I'm unlikely to go back and read it. People want to know who's behind the posts!
Reply 17
I do not mean this as an insult; but are you autistic? Pedantry and literal mindedness are common characteristics. It would take a very literal mind not to understand the act of personifying; of course a blog cannot command anything, as the wind cannot sing or rain be angry.
I mean this to be an insult: are you being intentionally or unavoidably dense?

Having acknowledged a blog cannot command anything, including respect, read what I wrote: that respect must be earned. It must get other people saying how good the content is, sharing links, commenting on the content, talking about the authors.

Just jumping up and down petulantly demanding respect won't work. It does for diva singers but not web sites.
Original post by Simes

Having acknowledged a blog cannot command anything, including respect, read what I wrote: that respect must be earned. It must get other people saying how good the content is, sharing links, commenting on the content, talking about the authors.

Just jumping up and down petulantly demanding respect won't work. It does for diva singers but not web sites.

I will repeat your words since they are applicable

Having acknowledged that a blog can command something in a metaphorical sense, including respect, read what I wrote: that respect can be commanded (earned through greatness).

Just jumping up and down petulantly demanding respect is not what I meant.

You never answered my question.
Original post by DoTheEducations
Can i see your blog?

I am too shy. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest