The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goldie56
I dunno, I think Austin has proven himself to be fair. 200 odd in 300 odd games. 1 in 2 record for QPR, third top scorer in the league for a relegation threatened side

Liverpool have often bought players who stood out in poor sides and it's rarely worked out. Let the guy show he can do it consistently, there's loads of players who come up from the lower leagues and carry on scoring frequently - DJ Campbell, Holt, Carroll, Lambert, Ings, Graham, Doyle, Adam.

Nearly all of them have either player for or been linked with Liverpool :holmes:
Original post by Mackay
Telegraph already reporting Gerrard's comments in the way that he was slagging off Benitez when that really wasn't the case.

In what way wasn't it out of curiosity?
Original post by sr90
Liverpool have often bought players who stood out in poor sides and it's rarely worked out. Let the guy show he can do it consistently, there's loads of players who come up from the lower leagues and carry on scoring frequently - DJ Campbell, Holt, Carroll, Lambert, Ings, Graham, Doyle, Adam.

Nearly all of them have either player for or been linked with Liverpool :holmes:

Pretty much, I dont think its coincidence that the 2 players that worked out (Sturridge and Coutinho) came from the fringes of the big teams and not the cannon fodder at the bottom of the league.
Original post by goldie56
I dunno, I think Austin has proven himself to be fair. 200 odd in 300 odd games. 1 in 2 record for QPR, third top scorer in the league for a relegation threatened side

i am not at all denying that he has had an amazing season so far.
i am merely questioning whether he would maintain a consistent high level of quality were he to come and play for a "big" side like liverpool.

Original post by sr90

you couldn't be more right here.
that's what we do; we take an on-form player who is standing out among a mid-tabled team and assume he will stand out among players at the highest level.
not to mention that we end up paying way over the odds because the "small" club don't want to sell their best player and our transfer negotiators pluck a number out of thin air....like 35 million.

Original post by CB91
Pretty much, I dont think its coincidence that the 2 players that worked out (Sturridge and Coutinho) came from the fringes of the big teams and not the cannon fodder at the bottom of the league.

thats where you need to buy.
players on the fringe just want to play games and prove themself.
they will try hard and they'll just be glad they're starting matches.

i'm telling you, we need to be leeching the fringe players from clubs like Madrid and Bayern, not buying the star man from a relegation side.
(edited 9 years ago)
Berahino would be SUCH a Dalglish signing. And, no, that isn't a compliment.
Original post by CB91

Would also say Sturridge and Coutinho had proven themselves. Coutinho was sold because of very poor man management by Stramaccioni, same for Sturridge, statistically they were both very good players in their teams. Coutinho had a good loan spell at Espanyol too.

Personally think City and Real Madrid are the place to get players. Don't get why you didn't get Shaqiri as well and went for Lallana, Lallana has done well I guess.
Original post by jam277
Would also say Sturridge and Coutinho had proven themselves. Coutinho was sold because of very poor man management by Stramaccioni, same for Sturridge, statistically they were both very good players in their teams. Coutinho had a good loan spell at Espanyol too.

Personally think City and Real Madrid are the place to get players. Don't get why you didn't get Shaqiri as well and went for Lallana, Lallana has done well I guess.

I like Lallana. Think he'll prove himself more given time.

Shaqiri was a weird one. Not sure if he was a FSG target or Rodgers.
Original post by jam277

We didn't get Shaqiri because their owner/Manager decided not to sell, all the agreements with the agents and the player had been agreed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Salah linked with a move away from Chelsea. Kinda glad we didn't sign him now.
Original post by jam277

And Barca. Come to think of it, I cant remember a single player bought from a bottom half PL club in the last 10 years that was an outstanding success except Mascherano.
Original post by Mackay
Salah linked with a move away from Chelsea. Kinda glad we didn't sign him now.

I was pretty underwhelmed with the signing and knew he'd be terrible personally.
Original post by jam277
I was pretty underwhelmed with the signing and knew he'd be terrible personally.

Salah is one of the most ridiculous buys I've ever seen Chelsea make.

You had no need for him, as evidenced by the fact that he has barely played any games for you in the year that you've had him.
He has made 16 total appearances for Chelsea (mostly pity substitutions), with a grand total of 2 goals and 0 assists.

It literally just looked like Chelsea bought Salah only to stop Liverpool buying him.
Seems like a Mourinho thing to do...
(edited 9 years ago)
Sterling signed a 5 year contract - £100k a week
£100k wat
wat
Original post by GorlimtheUnhappy
Sterling signed a 5 year contract - £100k a week
£100k wat
wat

meh, as a fan i don't think the money matters too much to us.
just important we keep hold of him right now.
at least he's signed and he's happy.
Original post by CB91
And Barca. Come to think of it, I cant remember a single player bought from a bottom half PL club in the last 10 years that was an outstanding success except Mascherano.

Jordan Henderson? You overpaid but he's been a good signing overall.
So it looks like Origi is getting his loan deal cut and he's coming to Anfield this month.
If Origi is coming to Liverpool this month then surely that means we won't go for Berahino?
Original post by The.Joker
So it looks like Origi is getting his loan deal cut and he's coming to Anfield this month.

hmmm
not sure how i feel about that; suggests we won't bother buying a striker now :/

Original post by samir12
If Origi is coming to Liverpool this month then surely that means we won't go for Berahino?

personally i'd rather us pay a few million compensation to bring in Origi than shell out 20m on berahino.
Original post by Lúcio
hmmm
not sure how i feel about that; suggests we won't bother buying a striker now :/

personally i'd rather us pay a few million compensation to bring in Origi than shell out 20m on berahino.

It's apparently £3m to get Origi back, lower than expected.
Original post by samir12
It's apparently £3m to get Origi back, lower than expected.

i'm cool with that, although i would rather us spend on somebody pretty solid and consistent.
but you never know what will happen i guess.

Quick Reply

Latest