The Student Room Group
University of York
York

What does an Interactive Media Degree consist of?

I have applied for an interactive media degree at University of York but I'm not quite sure what the course is about. Is it a combination of programming and design to create digital media for different audiences?
I did an Interactive Media course in college for two years so I would imagine it involves the same kind of thing.

Basically it covered:

Graphic Design
Digital Design
Web Design
2D Animation

As its a university course it might be slightly different though or more in depth atleast.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Mo'
OP
Original post by AndrewMC1994
I did an Interactive Media course in college for two years so I would imagine it involves the same kind of thing.

Basically it covered:

Graphic Design
Digital Design
Web Design
2D Animation

As its a university course it might be slightly different though or more in depth atleast.

Oh Ok. So is the course more of like designing or does it include some coding too?
I'm more into Web Development so I'm just worrying whether the Interactive Media course will be suitable for me?!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mo'
Oh Ok. So is the course more of like designing or does it include some coding too?
I'm more into Web Development so I'm just worrying whether the Interactive Media course will be suitable for me?!

For me it involved quite a lot of coding or atleast you would learn to make a couple of websites.

Its probably half and half graphic design and web design.
Reply 4
Mo'
OP
Original post by AndrewMC1994
For me it involved quite a lot of coding or atleast you would learn to make a couple of websites.

Its probably half and half graphic design and web design.

Oh I see. Thanks for the reply man. I'm trying to make up my mind between Web Technologies at University of Portsmouth and Interactive Media at York. I have attended an open day at Portsmouth and I loved it. Now I just have to visit York Uni and then I will decide which course and university I will firm.

Anyway, thanks man.
Hey dude!

I'm studying interactive media at York now! Feel free to send some questions my way! :smile:
Reply 6
Mo'
OP
Original post by spikymike96
Hey dude!

I'm studying interactive media at York now! Feel free to send some questions my way! :smile:

Thanks man.

I have been to the university of York today for an interview and I absolutely loved it down there. The lecturer said he was quite impressed with my grades and the way I expressed myself during the interview. However, his main doubt is the fact that I might not be able to cope with the course. I am doing BTEC National Diploma in ICT and I enjoy it. He said the Interactive Media course is really intense and I should think about the overall intenseness of the course before I accept the offer. I really do not disagree with his feedback but I am worried whether I should put York as my firm choice or not. What is your opinion? With hard work and dedication, do you think one is able to cope with the course? Once again, thank you and I am looking forward to your reply.
Hey sorry the delay replying, i really don't use Student Room much! :P

Honestly, i really don't think the workload is bad. First term there are 3 modules; Programming, Media Tech & DCAS (Digital Culture Aesthetics & storytelling). The first two are assessed by 2 exams in January and the last by an essay, but thats it for first term!
Second term and Third term is Computational Thinking, Principles of IM and DCAS. Computational Thinking theres coursework in for the end of each term where you need to adapt some code you are given and write up about it. In Principles you basically are able to start a project of your own choice, design and implement it and thats in for Third term. DCAS is just another essay.
But yeah, I've had plenty of time to get involved in university life without the course inhibiting me! Definitely not at the same level of Computer Science whatsoever! At the other end of the spectrum, if you did put in a LOADD of work you could definitely become quite adept in programming or whatever interactive route you want to take!

Again, sorry for the delay in replying!! If you have anymore questions i will check more frequently this time! :biggrin:
Reply 8
If I am more an arts than science and maths guy.......will I be able to manage the computing language and logic side.....as I really want to do the blend of creative and digital the course offers....am in clearing process so any chance for a quick view would be great
Hi,

I'm the admissions tutor from the Interactive Media BSc.

Providing a balance between creativity and computing is exactly what our course is about. So it sounds like we might be a good choice for you. We teach the Processing language in the first year, which is designed to be just the right to help people who are from arts backgrounds learn to program and don't require any prior knowledge of programming -- and we'll give you all the support you need if you are motivated to learn.

If you like to talk more about the degree you can give me a call on my direct line: 01904 322 776.

Best regards,

Jon Hook
Hi, I've applied for interactive media design and I'm struggling to find out what to put in my portfolio for my interview? any idea or like a spec for me?

Quick Reply

Latest