The Student Room Group

Transfer my 4th year student loan to Cambridge to do Tripos Part3.

Hi, I am considering to apply for Part III. I am currently studying maths at Imperial College London. Is it possible to transfer my student loan to Cambridge? Is Part3 considered as an undergraduate course? Is the Cambridge Bursary Scheme available for Part3? If not, are there any funding available? Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by FunctionOfX
Hi, I am considering to apply for Part III. I am currently studying maths at Imperial College London. Is it possible to transfer my student loan to Cambridge? Is Part3 considered as an undergraduate course? Is the Cambridge Bursary Scheme available for Part3? If not, are there any funding available? Thanks in advance.
Looking at this it looks like it's considered to be a post-grad qualification, and therefore not eligible for undergraduate tuition or maintenance loans.

You would have to investigate the fundings options yourself - it may be that there are scholarships etc but the position changes all the time. Take a look at The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding. I would also search the Cambridge website to find out if there are any other opportunities. It is fair to say that there is more likely to be funding for maths than there is for arts subjects generally.
Reply 2
Original post by Minerva
Looking at this it looks like it's considered to be a post-grad qualification, and therefore not eligible for undergraduate tuition or maintenance loans.

You would have to investigate the fundings options yourself - it may be that there are scholarships etc but the position changes all the time. Take a look at The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding. I would also search the Cambridge website to find out if there are any other opportunities. It is fair to say that there is more likely to be funding for maths than there is for arts subjects generally.

yeah, i thought that too, but it also says: 'The M.A.St. course is treated as an undergraduate course for fee purposes and Overseas M.A.St students are also charged the undergraduate College fee, which varies from College to College and which is not yet determined for admission in 2015-16. The maximum level for 2014-15 is £7,719. The estimated financial liability for the overseas college fee for admission in 2015-6 is £8105, which is charged in addition to the University Composition Fee.' Thats why i am confused.
Reply 3
yeah, i thought that too, but it also says: 'The M.A.St. course is treated as an undergraduate course for fee purposes and Overseas M.A.St students are also charged the undergraduate College fee, which varies from College to College and which is not yet determined for admission in 2015-16. The maximum level for 2014-15 is £7,719. The estimated financial liability for the overseas college fee for admission in 2015-6 is £8105, which is charged in addition to the University Composition Fee.' Thats why i am confused.
Me too :smile:

I think you'll have to contact Cambridge (but not this week, unless there is a deadline coming up) and Student Finance to see what they say.
Reply 4
Original post by Minerva
Me too :smile:

I think you'll have to contact Cambridge (but not this week, unless there is a deadline coming up) and Student Finance to see what they say.

OK, Thanks.
Reply 5
OK, Thanks.
Post back and let us know what they say - helpful for future reference!

https://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~twk/PartIII.pdf

According to page 21, you should not be optimistic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending