The Student Room Group

Are my A-level choices suitable for medicine?

I have my A-level choices this week and i have a major dilemma.
I am stuck between chemistry biology physics and english literature OR chemistry biology physics and psychology.
I think that i could prefer psychology but i know that english lit could be more useful or even preferred (i think).
In the future I'm interested in thinks like forensic pathology, dentistry, vet, GP/doctor but basically doing a medical degree (or similar) at uni.
ALL help is appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Your 4th option doesn't matter too much. Chemistry is an absolute must, Biology is highly desired and maths is useful. Do what you will enjoy and think you'll do well :smile:
Sorry *physics. I thought you said maths. Both maths and physics are equally useful
Although can I just say, at my school it is highly recommended you do maths and physics. Only one person has ever got a B without doing maths. Maybe something to consider
As long as you have bio and chem you're fine :smile: because you're doing physics, it's even better for your application. Your fourth a level does not matter, as you have the option to drop it at A2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your choices are good. Though I hear no need to do 4. As a medic, would English Literature more useful than psychology?
o.O
You're going to do Physics without Maths? That's a brave choice... very brave. :biggrin:.
Original post by hellodave5
Your choices are good. Though I hear no need to do 4. As a medic, would English Literature more useful than psychology?
o.O

Not sure where you heard this! A number of medical schools require a 4th subject to at least AS, and as most medical applicants take 4 subjects at AS those that do not are at a competitive disadvantage.

I've found psychology highly useful for medicine myself.
Original post by hanamieb
I am stuck between chemistry biology physics and english literature OR chemistry biology physics and psychology.
I think that i could prefer psychology but i know that english lit could be more useful or even preferred (i think).
In the future I'm interested in thinks like forensic pathology, dentistry, vet, GP/doctor but basically doing a medical degree (or similar) at uni.
ALL help is appreciated.

Do whichever you think you will do better at for the 3rd & 4th, the most important thing is that you get As.
Original post by theresheglows
Not sure where you heard this! A number of medical schools require a 4th subject to at least AS, and as most medical applicants take 4 subjects at AS those that do not are at a competitive disadvantage.

I've found psychology highly useful for medicine myself.

Do you/did you study medicine? if so do you mind me asking what a-levels you took?
Reply 10
ALL help is appreciated.

Yes.

Medicine requires Chemistry, Maths/Physics and Biology. Preferably Maths though seeing as Chemistry + Physics will have a large Maths content in A2.

I think English Literature would be preferred as your fourth subject as it is deemed as one of the harder A levels, compared to Psychology which is regularly referred to as a weak science. However I feel that you might be able to get away with it as Psychology is loosely linked to Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the top Uni's AS maths at least is becoming a must for medicine. I really think you should swap physics maths as it will be hard to do a level physics without a level maths. Even better would be to do them both along side biology and chemistry.
Do you/did you study medicine? if so do you mind me asking what a-levels you took?

Yep, I'm currently studying medicine :smile:
I took biology, chemistry, psychology, eng lit & maths (I also did physics but I did it early so I don't really regard it as one of my A-levels), my offer was based on A*s in bio and chem and A in 1 of the others (they weren't picky which).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SSpringer20
At the top Uni's AS maths at least is becoming a must for medicine. I really think you should swap physics maths as it will be hard to do a level physics without a level maths. Even better would be to do them both along side biology and chemistry.

Original post by MrJAKEE
Yes.

Medicine requires Chemistry, Maths/Physics and Biology. Preferably Maths though seeing as Chemistry + Physics will have a large Maths content in A2.

Um, no.

Medicine REQUIRES chemistry (biology is required at some unis), plus one other science - biology preferred. The ONLY uni that requires a 3rd science or maths is cambridge, and they don't mind which of physics or maths you take.

I cannot emphasise enough - maths and physics are NOT REQUIRED for medicine, as long as you are doing biology and chemistry you are safe for every med school except cambridge.

Physics does have a large maths component, and it's true that many people taking physics are also taking maths, often because they are talented mathematicians. However, the maths in A-level physics is not so hard that doing maths A-level is a requirement to understand it, and if your school does not do the mechanics modules for maths then it is of little use for physics.
Reply 14
Um, no.

Medicine REQUIRES chemistry (biology is required at some unis), plus one other science - biology preferred. The ONLY uni that requires a 3rd science or maths is cambridge, and they don't mind which of physics or maths you take.

I cannot emphasise enough - maths and physics are NOT REQUIRED for medicine, as long as you are doing biology and chemistry you are safe for every med school except cambridge.

Physics does have a large maths component, and it's true that many people taking physics are also taking maths, often because they are talented mathematicians. However, the maths in A-level physics is not so hard that doing maths A-level is a requirement to understand it, and if your school does not do the mechanics modules for maths then it is of little use for physics.

Most successful applicants take all 3 :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9618308/Which-degree-courses-do-your-A-levels-suit.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ItsWhiteHat
You're going to do Physics without Maths? That's a brave choice... very brave. :biggrin:.

tons of people do tha at my school and hardly anyone who does physics to A2 gets lower than an A. The Op has nothing to worry about, mechanics isn't a big deal
Everyone not taking maths in my AS physics class dropped it at A2. Two from the other class didn't. This gives you around one in 12 chance of taking physics to A2 without taking maths. Just something to consider.

That's different from it being a requirement which is what you stated in your earlier post; I was correcting your misinformation so it did not confuse the OP or other prospective med students who may read this thread.

Incidentally the link you have provided only gives information on percentages of medical students with specific single A-levels, it does not show proportions of students with particular combinations and so does not back up your point. It is true that 3 science/maths is a popular choice for prospective medical students, whether they form the majority amongst successful applicants (other than at oxbridge) I do not know. However IF the majority of successful applicants had 3, it is likely to be due to the majority of all applicants having 3 (due to the belief that they need it, or genuine interest in 3), not because those without 3 have been prejudiced against by admissions tutors.

If the entry requirements specify chemistry and one other science plus one other subject (as almost all medical schools do), then they cannot & will not reject an application because someone does not have all 3 sciences/maths, and that person will not be at a disadvantage compared to someone who has 3 (unless they are applying to cambridge where it is required, or oxford where is is preferred).

EDIT: the key point here is that students who do not think that they can get an A in physics or maths should not feel pressured into taking them when they do not have to. A student with AAA at A2 in chem, bio and eng lit has a chance of getting into med school, but a student with AAB in chem, bio and physics/maths does not.

All this is moot in regards to this thread anyway, as the OP is taking 3 sciences anyway and just wants some advice for their 4th.
(edited 9 years ago)
ALL help is appreciated.

Id do maths instead of physics. And for your 4th subject, id do english literature.
Reply 19
That's different from it being a requirement which is what you stated in your earlier post; I was correcting your misinformation so it did not confuse the OP or other prospective med students who may read this thread.

Incidentally the link you have provided only gives information on percentages of medical students with specific single A-levels, it does not show proportions of students with particular combinations and so does not back up your point. It is true that 3 science/maths is a popular choice for prospective medical students, whether they form the majority amongst successful applicants (other than at oxbridge) I do not know. However IF the majority of successful applicants had 3, it is likely to be due to the majority of all applicants having 3 (due to the belief that they need it, or genuine interest in 3), not because those without 3 have been prejudiced against by admissions tutors.

If the entry requirements specify chemistry and one other science plus one other subject (as almost all medical schools do), then they cannot & will not reject an application because someone does not have all 3 sciences/maths, and that person will not be at a disadvantage compared to someone who has 3 (unless they are applying to cambridge where it is required, or oxford where is is preferred).

EDIT: the key point here is that students who do not think that they can get an A in physics or maths should not feel pressured into taking them when they do not have to. A student with AAA at A2 in chem, bio and eng lit has a chance of getting into med school, but a student with AAB in chem, bio and physics/maths does not.

All this is moot in regards to this thread anyway, as the OP is taking 3 sciences anyway and just wants some advice for their 4th.

Right ok, wasn't trying to start a rant :smile:

If 62% of current med students took Maths, and Biology and Chemistry are practically necessities on all applicants, I think it is very safe to assume that the majority take 3 sciences including maths. I've heard of a few previous students at my school who go to Oxbridge that the interviewers care much for the mathematical aptitude of the student. If the uni thinks you don't have the aptitude, they won't accept you, whether it's a specified requirement or not. I think just for the applicants sake taking maths with biology/chemistry will keep all options open, physics I'd say is the least applicable to a medicine application + so would recommend maths instead of physics, but physics is ok as previously said.

Of course if the OP thinks they can do better in Lit/Physics then go for it.

EDIT: I've checked some med schools out and Imperial asks for Biology, Chemistry + A maths based science also with Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending