The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Anyone heard from City Uni? -starts panicking-
Original post by JordanC55
Like Madagascar mentioned, it may be worth looking into a Lang science or Linguistics degree and do postgrad because in total it'll only be an additional year! Also, I remember you saying you've only applied to two unis, if you really want to do a SaLT undergrad then perhaps you should apply to unis further afield and use all 5 choices cause you're drastically narrowing your options otherwise.

Original post by madagascar
Hey Nesca, I'm sure that having had an extra year of experience and also time to reflect on your application and interview experiences last year that you will be fine this year and will be offered a place :smile:

On the off chance that you are not, perhaps it would be worth looking into phonetics and linguistics/speech science degree through clearing and then doing a post grad slt course? I totally understand about it taking longer but if you have your heart set on being a slt then maybe it is worth the wait instead of studying for a career that you will always feel to be a second choice? doing a speech science degree followed by a post grad slt course will take five years whereas the straight undergrad slt course takes 4 years at most unis anyhow. A year really isn't that long in the whole grand scheme of things.

But... positive thinking, I'm sure that you will be fine for a place this year as you can show that you haven't given up hope and have developed since your last application. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you x

Thank you for your reply :smile: I've thought about what everybody has said and it makes sense. I am really glad that I Decided to ask for advice on here because it's made me feel that I won't be feeling too distraught if I don't get a place. I could go and do a psychology degree and then apply for post grad. Fingers crossed I get in this year anyway but now I have a back up I feel much better :smile:
Original post by nesca89
Thank you for your reply :smile: I've thought about what everybody has said and it makes sense. I am really glad that I Decided to ask for advice on here because it's made me feel that I won't be feeling too distraught if I don't get a place. I could go and do a psychology degree and then apply for post grad. Fingers crossed I get in this year anyway but now I have a back up I feel much better :smile:

Pleased you're feeling better about it and we were able to help - I really do think you will get in this year though 😊 If you aren't successful at either Manchester or man met will you accept one of the the other unis you have applied to?
Pleased you're feeling better about it and we were able to help - I really do think you will get in this year though 😊 If you aren't successful at either Manchester or man met will you accept one of the the other unis you have applied to?

I'm not really sure, I'll have a little think about it. I really don't want to move so at the moment it's a no, but things change don't they. Haha. Hopefully I'll get a successful from man met this week, last year they gave offers on 6th Jan! So fingers crossed hehe
Original post by nesca89
I'm not really sure, I'll have a little think about it. I really don't want to move so at the moment it's a no, but things change don't they. Haha. Hopefully I'll get a successful from man met this week, last year they gave offers on 6th Jan! So fingers crossed hehe

Oh fingers crossed- I'll be hoping for you all week!
Oh fingers crossed- I'll be hoping for you all week!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Clivia
Thanks! Would you be up for a coffee/chat some time (maybe Weston Park museum café?) to tell me a bit more about the course at Sheffield and what it's like as a 'mature' student? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think for some reason my message didn't post?! Definitely up for a coffee and a chat. I am actually working in Bristol at the moment but will be back up North on the 10th Jan and free anytime after then? Hope you had a good christmas/ new year :smile:

Pippa
Reply 847
Hi, I have an interview at Manchester met and another at Sheffield coming up for undergrad speech therapy but I have no idea what the written interview will involve. Has anyone had interviews there already or knows what kind of questions will be asked? (I've also applied to Newcastle, Manchester and DMU but haven't heard back from them yet) Thanks for any help
Original post by cloud97
Hi, I have an interview at Manchester met and another at Sheffield coming up for undergrad speech therapy but I have no idea what the written interview will involve. Has anyone had interviews there already or knows what kind of questions will be asked? (I've also applied to Newcastle, Manchester and DMU but haven't heard back from them yet) Thanks for any help

Congratulations on your interviews :smile: what are the dates? I haven't actually been to any myself yet but I gather from others that if you make sure you know what you have put in your personal statement and you have researched the career and client groups you should be absolutely fine :smile:. I don't think people can be anymore specific about actual questions on here as it breaks the student room rules.

Please feel free to add yourself to the table or if you would like me to just ask :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Speech_and_Language_Therapy_undergraduate_courses_2015
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi all, I've finally joined this site after about 2 years of lurking!! Submitted my UCAS application off towards the end of November and have only applied to BCU due to location issues. Currently at the stage of checking my email and Track ridiculous amounts of times each day but as yet haven't heard a single thing:confused:!!!!!
Original post by JaaySLT
Hi all, I've finally joined this site after about 2 years of lurking!! Submitted my UCAS application off towards the end of November and have only applied to BCU due to location issues. Currently at the stage of checking my email and Track ridiculous amounts of times each day but as yet haven't heard a single thing:confused:!!!!!

Welcome! Don't worry about not hearing anything - unis have a lot of applications to sift through and they're all on holiday at the moment :wink: sure you'll hear soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JaaySLT

Best of luck with your application. I guess things have slowed down with the Christmas break, but hopefully we should all start hearing things in the next few weeks! It's all so exciting and nerve wracking at the same time! I don't think there is any need to worry yet that you haven't heard from them.
Original post by Butterfly9595
Welcome! Don't worry about not hearing anything - unis have a lot of applications to sift through and they're all on holiday at the moment :wink: sure you'll hear soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck with your application. I guess things have slowed down with the Christmas break, but hopefully we should all start hearing things in the next few weeks! It's all so exciting and nerve wracking at the same time! I don't think there is any need to worry yet that you haven't heard from them.

Thank you for the welcome, much appreciated! This process feels a bit overwhelming at times, I was quite confident to begin with but can feel that confidence slowly waning! I agree that I shouldn't be stressing too much at this stage but now that people have started to receive offers the pressure's definitely on!!!!
Original post by JaaySLT
Thank you for the welcome, much appreciated! This process feels a bit overwhelming at times, I was quite confident to begin with but can feel that confidence slowly waning! I agree that I shouldn't be stressing too much at this stage but now that people have started to receive offers the pressure's definitely on!!!!

Yes, the process is awful. I went through it last year too. I've had my man met and Manchester interviews, I think I'll hear back from man met this week. But I can't stop thinking about it, it's driving me crazy!
Yep, 'crazy' seems an appropriate word to describe my mental state too lol! I think I recognize your name from lurking on last years thread so hats off to you for going through this all over again! Hope you hear something positive this week, I'm praying I do too!!:wink:
Original post by JaaySLT
Yep, 'crazy' seems an appropriate word to describe my mental state too lol! I think I recognize your name from lurking on last years thread so hats off to you for going through this all over again! Hope you hear something positive this week, I'm praying I do too!!:wink:

It is just so hard, especially when it's something you desperately want. I'm hoping we all get some positive news, preferably tomorrow! Haha. Good luck!
Original post by nesca89
It is just so hard, especially when it's something you desperately want. I'm hoping we all get some positive news, preferably tomorrow! Haha. Good luck!

I think tomorrow might be a long day! Fingers crossed.
Very long day ahead of us tomorrow! I've even emailed admissions mid December so waiting for a reply from them is horrific! Am I still the only part time applicant? Boo hoo!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shropshirelass51
I think tomorrow might be a long day! Fingers crossed.

Yeah but then they might not even get back to us tomorrow, so it could be a long week! Haha

Original post by MrsMoonie
Very long day ahead of us tomorrow! I've even emailed admissions mid December so waiting for a reply from them is horrific! Am I still the only part time applicant? Boo hoo!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where have you applied to do part time?
Original post by JaaySLT

This is legit how I feel! Initially I was like 'I'll defo get an offer' not the longer I'm waiting the less confident I become

Quick Reply

Latest