The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clh_hilary
The only ranking not ignored by the UK government is the REF ones.

The UK government introduced the QS World Rankings, they don't recognise ARWU or THES.
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Just shut up and focus on getting the grades for uni. Leave the bitchy attitude at home. You are young still.

here we have a prime example of a bitchy attitude^, Thank you for your study advice, much appreciated, Bringing up my age because you have no more actual points to make... classy
The truth doesn't cease becoming truth because of your disbelief. I'm at Oxford's largest graduate college so I certainly know more Oxford graduate students then you do. I also happen to sit on the Social Sciences Board and Graduate Studies Committee.

I even know someone who got in with a 2:2, although he's a part-timer.

This is ignoring the fact that you have once again failed to provide a source to what you have 'read'. The last time this happened you were wrong about it.

If you google it you will find the story easily, it got such headlines that it is odd you never heard about it.

So what masters courses are Oxford allowing students in from 3rd rank unis?
27.5% of the 24,000 students at Notts come from a private school background, which is a very large number of students. Notts is a civic university, and offers courses like Nursing and Midwifery, which will affect the profile of student and grades required for entry to an extent.

I don't understand why the percentage of private schoolers is relevant.

If that is relevant, then I'm afraid both Exeter and St Andrews are unarguably superior to your beloved Nottingham. St Andrews has the second-highest percentage of private schoolers, whilst Exeter ranks at No 9. 41.1% and 30.9% respectively.
I don't understand why the percentage of private schoolers is relevant.

If that is relevant, then I'm afraid both Exeter and St Andrews are unarguably superior to your beloved Nottingham. St Andrews has the second-highest percentage of private schoolers, whilst Exeter ranks at No 9. 41.1% and 30.9% respectively.

Percentage is one thing, numbers are another. Either way, only good private schools carry much weight.
If you google it you will find the story easily, it got such headlines that it is odd you never heard about it.

So what masters courses are Oxford allowing students in from 3rd rank unis?

I don't know what is a '3rd rank uni' for you.

I couldn't google it.

Also, it's irrelevant. I personally know people who are now studying at Oxford who came from the universities I mentioned. Ever if what you said was the policy, it's no longer the case.
I don't know what is a '3rd rank uni' for you.

I couldn't google it.

Also, it's irrelevant. I personally know people who are now studying at Oxford who came from the universities I mentioned. Ever if what you said was the policy, it's no longer the case.

3rd rank would be ex-polys and the weaker traditional unis. Are you sure these students were on masters courses, and not some diploma open to anyone?
3rd rank would be ex-polys and the weaker traditional unis. Are you sure these students were on masters courses, and not some diploma open to anyone?

One of my coursemates graduated from Brookes straight from her bachelor's degree. At the same time there are people from Durham and Nottingham straight from their undergraduate degrees.

At the same time many of my coursemates graduated with a master's degree, one of them from Cambridge, one of them from Edinburgh. One already with a PhD from SOAS. One has been teaching at Oxford. One was a lecturer at Hull. The MSc is by far the most competitive one in the department.

I'd say all of these show that your undergraduate university is a minor factor.
One of my coursemates graduated from Brookes straight from her bachelor's degree. At the same time there are people from Durham and Nottingham straight from their undergraduate degrees.

At the same time many of my coursemates graduated with a master's degree, one of them from Cambridge, one of them from Edinburgh. One already with a PhD from SOAS. One has been teaching at Oxford. One was a lecturer at Hull. The MSc is by far the most competitive one in the department.

I'd say all of these show that your undergraduate university is a minor factor.

For what course? It seems like it is one where they relax the requirements to do society a favour.
The UK government introduced the QS World Rankings, they don't recognise ARWU or THES.

You do realise Times was where it started and QS was only involved and co-published the tables from 2004 through 2009 as the data provider? The Times abandoned QS when they started to collect their own data.
For what course? It seems like it is one where they relax the requirements to do society a favour.

This is getting close to the privacy territory.

Your comment makes no sense. To do society a favour? On what basis can you see that they have relaxed the 'requirements' when they are by far the most competitive course in the department with PhDs, masters, and university staff to choose from? :confused:

Also, the part-timer from Portsmouth I know from another course in another department is white and English.
You do realise Times was where it started and QS was only involved and co-published the tables from 2004 through 2009 as the data provider? The Times abandoned QS when they started to collect their own data.

Yes I am aware, but QS has won the seal of approval of the UK government regardless.
This is getting close to the privacy territory.

Your comment makes no sense. To do society a favour? On what basis can you see that they have relaxed the 'requirements' when they are by far the most competitive course in the department with PhDs, masters, and university staff to choose from? :confused:

Also, the part-timer from Portsmouth I know from another course in another department is white and English.

For what course? I'd like to look into the admissions standards.
Yes I am aware, but QS has won the seal of approval of the UK government regardless.

What are you basing this 'fact' on?
What are you basing this 'fact' on?

If you read up about QS rankings, you will see.
For what course? I'd like to look into the admissions standards.

No courses at Oxford mentioned that applicants should be from a top-tier university.

Also, if this is such a big factor, Oxford graduates wouldn't be rejected yet they are.
If you read up about QS rankings, you will see.

Nothing I read has shown a 'seal of approval' from the UK government.

The only ranking the UK government cares and does something about is the ones from REF.
Nothing I read has shown a 'seal of approval' from the UK government.

The only ranking the UK government cares and does something about is the ones from REF.

Keep looking then, I found out plenty last year. Also the Russell Group recognises QS.
Keep looking then, I found out plenty last year. Also the Russell Group recognises QS.

More and more 'facts' with absolutely no evidence to back up with.
More and more 'facts' with absolutely no evidence to back up with.

Do the research yourself, rather than being spoon fed. The Russell Group website is easy enough to find at least.

Latest

Trending

Trending