The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants for 2015 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Usually-Confused
Ah okay, what other universities did you apply to?

Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham,
Aston and Lincoln
What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you decided on your firm and insurance yet?
I've had offers from Southampton, Warwick, Plymouth and Portsmouth - just waiting on Aston :smile:
Birmingham, Warwick, Southampton, Royal Holloway and Exeter- I have offers from Warwick and Exeter so far. (AAB- Both)
Original post by Usually-Confused
Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you decided on your firm and insurance yet?
I've had offers from Southampton, Warwick, Plymouth and Portsmouth - just waiting on Aston :smile:

Yep, Birmingham as my firm and Lincoln as my insurance
What's yours going to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,

I hope to become a Forensic Psychologist, I didn't study Psychology at A-level.
I'm interested in the criminal and law side of things along the the psychological aspects too.

What I wanted to know was should I apply for Psychology or Forensic Psychology?
bearing in mind that I have never studied Psychology before.

Would it be harder for me? Are there any books that'll help me get up to speed with
those that did study Psychology at A-level? What do you think I should do?

I really could do with your recommendation guys. Thanks in advance!!! :biggrin:
Original post by 08hasraf
Hey guys,

I'm interested in the criminal and law side of things along the the psychological aspects too.

Would it be harder for me? Are there any books that'll help me get up to speed with

I'd recommend applying for Psychology but find universities that have Forensic Psychology as a third year option as there aren't many places that offer solely forensic psychology. Also it's a lot better to not tie yourself down just yet to a specific field as you might find that you enjoy other areas more once you've studied them (this may happen especially since you haven't done a - level psychology and don't know as much about the different, I don't even know about every area and I'm doing psych at a-level).

In the first year you study psychology they assume that no one has studied it prior as it is not a mandatory subject to get on to the course. So before you know it, you will be up to speed with those who have done a-level psychology. But if you do want to do some wider reading on the subject, which a lot of people have done to mention on their personal statement or just because they want to study it ad find out more, I'd recommend doing that. You can of course Google a few psychology books that might interest you, some from the top of my head are: the psychology book, this is a wide overview of the more popular areas of psychology with more well known studies. It has easily accessible language and a very interesting read. Another one I have is 'the man who mistook his wife for a hat' which is about neurological disorders, then there's why zebras don't get ulcers, stumbling on happiness and a few others. But with some research I'm sure you'll find something you'll enjoy, psych is so broad! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got offers from York, Manchester, Birmingham & Huddersfield

Still to hear from Durham

Predicted: A*AA
AS Grades: AABC

So yeah, Hopefully I'll see some of you at York or Durham! :smile: [Depending on which I decide or if Durham rejects me lol]
Original post by 08hasraf
Hey guys,

I would do general psychology before doing a more specialized degree because a) I'll get to gain knowledge on various areas of psychology and broaden my horizon, which it doesn't hurt to do b) I'm probably going to change my mind about my career or wish I'd done a general degree if I ended up doing a forensic degree instead.

If by the end of the degree you've still got your mind set on forensic then you can always do a masters :smile: in terms of difficulty for getting straight into forensic, if it doesn't say in the entry requirements that you'll need to have done psychology at a-level then you should be fine. Besides, a general degree doesn't even need psychology at a-level as it's assumed that everyone has no prior background in psychology. If you're 100% sure that you really want to go into forensic, then go for it if you don't really want to waste time. There's plenty of material online for you to read around from TED talks to FutureLearn courses that you can do for free and earn a qualification with. If you want to be up to speed with a-level kids then the obvious books to look for are a-level reference books.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got an offer for surrey??
Original post by Cutiepatootie175
Anyone got an offer for surrey??

I have an offer, but I don't think I'll be going there.
Has anyone heard from Bristol recently?
Has anyone heard from edinburgh yet?
Original post by rubyargent
Has anyone heard from edinburgh yet?

I'm still waiting :/
Anyone on AQA spec B? And learning mood disorders, child cognitive development and forensic psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone heard from Bath yet? :s-smilie:
Original post by sarahelizabeth18
Anyone heard from Bath yet? :s-smilie:

Hello, yeah I have an offer :smile: I did however get an email before saying they weren't going to be giving psych offers till after Jan 15, but I think they have given out some to a few. Good luck!!
Original post by melissapayne
Hello, yeah I have an offer :smile: I did however get an email before saying they weren't going to be giving psych offers till after Jan 15, but I think they have given out some to a few. Good luck!!

Ah okay - congrats :smile:
I'm just waiting to hear from Bath now and I'm starting to get impatient, but in that case hopefully I'll find out their decision soon enough...

Thanks!!
Cambridge Psychology applicants- how's everyone feeling? Not long till we find out now :s-smilie::confused:
Original post by notebooker
Cambridge Psychology applicants- how's everyone feeling? Not long till we find out now :s-smilie::confused:

Ughhhhh, I don't even want to think about it *stressed :P*. But at least in a few days I can just put it all behind me - in fact I wish we already had knew :smile:.

My school is also doing mocks for the next 2 weeks (fun fun :frown:); but at least that takes my mind off it a bit :biggrin:
Reply 799
Original post by notebooker

terrified and excited in the same time! i just can't wait to know the result :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest