The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Actaeon
Hello all!

I've just realised I'm going to have another week before any reply from Cambridge... So I've decided to make an account here in order to stave off the worries of waiting. Hopefully that was a good decision.

Anyway, nice to be here :smile:

Well hello there :biggrin:

Which subject have you applied for? Which college? Care to share your stats bla bla bla

Welcoooome
Original post by aersh8
Yeah I get all my cubes off eBay... The higher order ones are boring imo
There are some good youtube tutorials if you want to solve the megaminx :wink:
I think I'll learn OLL and PLL during the summer, atm I use F2L and then some random algs that are usually used for cuboids, idk why

Posted from TSR Mobile

If things go well on the 10th I'll learn the megaminx :wink:

Oo there are quite a lot of cases though which is what put me off learning it all :frown: Maybe someday but for now I'm fine as a casual

Although, solving rubik's cubes did come in handy for the TSA and those spatial orientation questions
Original post by aersh8
Is that the new film about Stephen Hawking? If so, I really want to watch it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was incredibly moving. And to eavesdrop on the life of one of the most esteemed physicists and one of my inspirations has motivated me to work harder and have a little more self-respect.
I cannot explain with justice how intensely wonderful it was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 204
And this is where I procrastinate :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Well hello there :biggrin:

Which subject have you applied for? Which college? Care to share your stats bla bla bla

Welcoooome

Engineering at Girton :smile: How about you?
Original post by Elcor
This is where I study:

Posted from TSR Mobile

High-five for fx 991ES plus - godsend of a calc :colone: and for having a maths book open, although i can't tell exactly which one it is... is it a mechanics one?

And wow, another table for your comp :eek:

cradle and a vdg generator :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Elcor
This is where I study:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like your silver calculator.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Navo D.
High-five for fx 991ES plus - godsend of a calc :colone: and for having a maths book open, although i can't tell exactly which one it is... is it a mechanics one?

I hope it isn't stats ..... Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 209
Original post by physicsmaths
I like your silver calculator.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's a beauty

Original post by Navo D.

I am ashamed to say it is a D1 book :frown:. It's just because I have 2 hours of D1 at school tomorrow, and I'm tired of not knowing what's going on in every lesson so I'm making a mind-map.

I used to use one desk for everything but couldn't focus at all haha.
Original post by Navo D.
If things go well on the 10th I'll learn the megaminx :wink:

Oo there are quite a lot of cases though which is what put me off learning it all :frown: Maybe someday but for now I'm fine as a casual

Although, solving rubik's cubes did come in handy for the TSA and those spatial orientation questions

Yeah it did, at least for the past papers - I seriously messed up the actual exam (functioning on 1 hour of sleep and a tonne of chocolate was suboptimal). I was confident that it would be the strong point of my application but now I don't think I could have gotten more than 22% (1 correct answer and the rest probabilistically) so I'm fully expecting a rejection now :frown: how did yours go?
It definitely helped my brother though before his oxford TSA - he wasn't able to solve it but he would try visualising where pieces will go after certain turns and then do those turns to check himself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Yeah it did, at least for the past papers - I seriously messed up the actual exam (functioning on 1 hour of sleep and a tonne of chocolate was suboptimal). I was confident that it would be the strong point of my application but now I don't think I could have gotten more than 22% (1 correct answer and the rest probabilistically) so I'm fully expecting a rejection now :frown: how did yours go?
It definitely helped my brother though before his oxford TSA - he wasn't able to solve it but he would try visualising where pieces will go after certain turns and then do those turns to check himself

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no :frown: Don't worry I'm sure you've done better than you think and everything else will make up for it! Mine was alright, left 3 at the end and couldn't make head or tails of a couple others! Did you use a book or just past papers?

On an unrelated note, is school opening tomorrow for everyone?
Reply 212
Original post by Actaeon
Engineering at Girton :smile:

Engineering here too; how'd your interviews go?
Original post by Navo D.
Oh no :frown: Don't worry I'm sure you've done better than you think and everything else will make up for it! Mine was alright, left 3 at the end and couldn't make head or tails of a couple others! Did you use a book or just past papers?

On an unrelated note, is school opening tomorrow for everyone?

Hopefully :redface: my brother had bought a book so I flicked through it but tbh I thought it was absolutely useless... So it was just past papers. I'm just pissed since I'd usually get around 45 and finish early while the actual thing that counts was such a disaster :/ did you use any book?

And my school opens on Wednesday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Engineering here too; how'd your interviews go?

They went okay... I think.

Well, I really enjoyed the whole experience of going over and staying in college, and getting free meals (which shows where my priorities are I guess!). And I enjoyed the actual interviews too, the questions were interesting, and I got through 3/4 in each. The interviewers were nice people, and didn't seem to mind the odd stupid calculation mistake I made... So on the whole I think it went well, bar the fact they asked me no questions on the personal statement or extra reading or even "Why Cambridge?" which surprised me a bit.

What college did you apply to?
Original post by aersh8
Hopefully :redface: my brother had bought a book so I flicked through it but tbh I thought it was absolutely useless... So it was just past papers. I'm just pissed since I'd usually get around 45 and finish early while the actual thing that counts was such a disaster :/ did you use any book?

And my school opens on Wednesday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah same here! The delivery time of the book extended past my interview date so I had no choice really lol. 45?! That's a real shame then. Well the other aspects of your application are great so don't stress yourself too much. A little stress is inevitable this close to the 10th lol :tongue:

Tuesday here, last term of school ever! Feels a little weird
Reply 216
Original post by Actaeon
They went okay... I think.

Well, I really enjoyed the whole experience of going over and staying in college, and getting free meals (which shows where my priorities are I guess!). And I enjoyed the actual interviews too, the questions were interesting, and I got through 3/4 in each. The interviewers were nice people, and didn't seem to mind the odd stupid calculation mistake I made... So on the whole I think it went well, bar the fact they asked me no questions on the personal statement or extra reading or even "Why Cambridge?" which surprised me a bit.

What college did you apply to?

For the sciences it's common to only have subject-interviews, so don't be worried that there were no general questions. I applied to Pembroke.

Your college is like the furthest from the Engineering Department, and mine's the closest :laugh:
Original post by Navo D.
Ah same here! The delivery time of the book extended past my interview date so I had no choice really lol. 45?! That's a real shame then. Well the other aspects of your application are great so don't stress yourself too much. A little stress is inevitable this close to the 10th lol :tongue:

Tuesday here, last term of school ever! Feels a little weird

Yeah I'm trying to distract myself as much as I can :smile: hope all turns out well for you! You're bio natsci too as far as I remember? What college?

Tbh I can't wait for school to be over! I really really want to go to uni :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
For the sciences it's common to only have subject-interviews, so don't be worried that there were no general questions. I applied to Pembroke.

Your college is like the furthest from the Engineering Department, and mine's the closest :laugh:

Everyone who knows about Cambridge and knows I applied there always goes, 'Why did you apply there, it's the furthest away!'. I defend my decision with the fact it'll force me to cycle and get some exercise if I get in. Which is a strange justification for college choice, but I just really liked the grounds and all :smile:

What's Pembroke like? I didn't visit it when I was choosing.
Original post by aersh8
Yeah I'm trying to distract myself as much as I can :smile: hope all turns out well for you! You're bio natsci too as far as I remember? What college?

Tbh I can't wait for school to be over! I really really want to go to uni :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm BioNatSci at Magdalene :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending