The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mj43
Clifford Chance Vacation scheme question.

''Please list the activities outside of academic study that you have been involved in during the last three years, detailing your contribution. Please also give details of any positions of responsibility you may have held during this time.''

Please list?

So list the activities and your role ie

I was social sec of history society etc etc

I tutored a secondary school child. Here I etc

Or write as you would do so in the other question ''Please tell us why your qualities...''

Yeah, that's the way to approach it.

If it was 100-150 words then an actual list would probably be what they were looking for.

Try and link the skills you've gained to their core competencies.
(edited 9 years ago)
'please use this section to supply us with additional information relevant to your application'

anyone know what I should write for this?
In all honesty. ..I feel really intimidated by some people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
Please don't write this on application unless you are certain that the firm wouldn't have any current staff that use that language. It's going to have to be either a very small firm or a very unique language to you have any chance of that.

Plus as a trainee you are rarely in charge of winning new business anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem to give out very good advice. Are you a traineee/lawyer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
No - I used to work in legal recruitment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

Do you think applying for a vac scheme a week before it's deadline is too late?

Thanks!
Does anyone have any info on what Travers Smith's first interview is like?
Is "What is it about our business that interests you most and why" basically just another way of phrasing "why the firm"? I've not really come across an app that has asked this before.
Reply 827
Do we address a cover letter with the graduate recruiter's full name or just their first name, or should it be Mr/Mrs?
Reply 828
Original post by J-SP
If it's clear what their name is, first name is fine. If that isn't clear, then I would go with Sir/Madam. You wouldn't know what their prefix is (it could easily be Ms, Dr etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much!
Original post by J-SP
Depends how long it's been open.

They are still open, so your form will be reviewed. If they like it, even if they have filled the vacancies, they will tell you so and at least you'd be in a strong position for a future vacancy. They might even offer you an alternative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response!

Do you think the application would have to be of a much higher standard to be successful when applying near the deadline than it would have needed to be had I applied when the vacancy opened? Or is the same standard applied throughout the process?
Original post by J-SP
The standard will be high enough to start with so the process will be the same and the difference is marginal.

It just depends on how far they are with their process. If they have already made offers to people and have a strong number of people coming through to interview already, they will have less need to bring more people through. In these instances they can afford to be super selective.

But you are never going to know where they are up to, so why not apply anyway. You have nothing to lose by applying except some time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot for that, helped me a considerable amount! :smile:
Reply 831
In an email to grad recruitment, and there is no info as to who you can personally email, is it ok to write 'Dear Graduate Recruitment Team' or is it better to write 'Dear Sir/Madam'?
Original post by Cp778
In an email to grad recruitment, and there is no info as to who you can personally email, is it ok to write 'Dear Graduate Recruitment Team' or is it better to write 'Dear Sir/Madam'?

I usually go with the former!
Original post by J-SP
Yes - just another way of wording it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for the clarification :smile:
Jones Day interview invite.
This process is depressing as hell.
PFO from A&O and Freshfields.
AC then rejection from Links.
AC with Simmons this month.
Waiting on Shoosmiths, HSF and Bakers.
Original post by helphelphelphelp

Keep going, I have had several rejections, but have two interviews coming up and maybe more in the pipeline.

It helps to detach yourself a little bit from the process.. The rejections used to get me down, but now I laugh a little when I see them pop up in my inbox.

Commiserations - but means you still have over half the applications you made as a possible success :biggrin:

sorry to hear, hope your other applications go better. Do you mind me asking when you applied and heard back from freshfields? thanks
No news today then? :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending