The Student Room Group

Test on Monday. I really need this answered

I'm going to add pictures of the roundabout

.. Right.

There's a roundabout here that tells me something that It's really NOT.

So I'm approaching the roundabout and I want to to go "bedworth" so it says middle lane. I get into the middle lane. First lane is for Nuneaton. So at the exit the first two lanes exit off to Nuneaton, now The SECOND lane should be taking me to hilltop and bedworth like it says. (also industrial estate)

So when I get into the lane after the exit.. The most left one. It says Bermuda industrial estate and hilltop. There is NO bedworth on there. So the question is.. Should I just go in it and quickly indicate at that point to move into the middle lane... Or should I do this..

Get into the middle lane at the roundabout approach but then go all the way to the curb of the roundabout which is the right lane for coventry but splits into TWO lane one that goes into the middle for bedworth and hilltop (which is the one I want) and the one that stays at the right which is Coventry and bedworth.

So it's either indicate from the first lane to the middle or go to the right one at after leaving the roundabout and that drifts me into the middle.

Which one would you say I should do for my test.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Something in between your two suggestions would work. Wow, the road planners have really cut your work out for you there!

If I approached in the middle lane, following the sign for Bedworth, I would drive directly towards the middle marking for Bedworth, taking great pains to ensure any vehicle on my immediate right isn't erroneously heading for the same spot (that vehicle should be aiming for the far right lane instead). Your path needs to be in as straight a line as possible, which will cross over the lane marking at a very shallow angle. If a vehicle is close to your right, then give a right indicator at this point so that there is no misunderstanding or conflict.

Your first suggestion made it sound like you were heading for the first lane, remaining fully in it for a while, then indicating to make a sharp diagonal into the middle. This is not ideal on a busy roundabout.

Your second suggestion of occupying the right lane is risky as other traffic on your immediate left may assume you are taking a later exit (or the overtaking lane to Bedworth) and may block your intended middle lane. Even if you don't conflict with anyone at that point, that lane will lead you to the overtaking lane of the Bedworth road which could see you being marooned there while everything passes you on your left.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much for looking into it and answering me. I think the best option... Is to head to the right hand lane but stay as close to the white line as possible as if I STAY to the right.. That will take me to the fast lane of bedworth and I don't want that. I'll stay towards the white line ON the round and that will take me to the middle
Thank you again
Why not just go into the right lane?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
If your meaning right lane as you are approaching the roundabout.. You can't because that would take you to the fast lane. Wouldn't that be a fail? If it's not a fail then... Your in the right hand lane but that also spirals you into the middle so would you not be on the safe side and get into the middle of you have the option
Original post by Fairy1711
If your meaning right lane as you are approaching the roundabout.. You can't because that would take you to the fast lane. Wouldn't that be a fail? If it's not a fail then... Your in the right hand lane but that also spirals you into the middle so would you not be on the safe side and get into the middle of you have the option

Of course it's not a fail. The lanes are there to be used for a reason. On my test, if the left lane had 6 cars waiting and the right lane had 1, I'd go to the right lane. I've made sense of the roundabout and I'll draw you a diagram for the right lane.
(edited 9 years ago)
This is how I'd do it.Untitled-2.jpg

If you wanted to go into the middle lane, follow the red part of the road. See how it covers the left and middle lanes past the junction? That means that you can go into the middle lane there and follow it around for your exit as show here 1Untitled-2.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I've always been told if you go into the right lane On a roundabout you'll fail. I have my test tomorrow now I'm confused on what to do.
Reply 8
Thank you for making such an effort
Stick to the middle lane then, but remember to get into the right lane on the red at the start. Good luck with the test!
Reply 10
Wouldn't it be better to just get into the last lane ONTO the roundabout and then blend in because it seems better spiralling out than getting in one lane and then having to indicate and change lane do you get me.
Wouldn't it be better to just get into the last lane ONTO the roundabout and then blend in because it seems better spiralling out than getting in one lane and then having to indicate and change lane do you get me.

In either of the routes I coloured in, you don't need to indicate.
Reply 12
The red part you shown I don't think that's anything to do with the roundabout spiralling I don't think I've been told it's like a danger area idk but I think if I get into that lane and then follow the red part... It's gonna be same as changing lane without indicating do you know what I mean.. Rather than the white line of the roundabouts spiralling you out naturally..

I could be wrong probably i am but that's what I'm thinking...
The red part you shown I don't think that's anything to do with the roundabout spiralling I don't think I've been told it's like a danger area idk but I think if I get into that lane and then follow the red part... It's gonna be same as changing lane without indicating do you know what I mean.. Rather than the white line of the roundabouts spiralling you out naturally..

the red part is to direct you to the correct lane, its there for a reason, use it

middle lane in, follow the red markings to the correct lane, making sure to do your observations in case somebody to your right is going for the same lane, indicating right if anybody would benefit from it

if the red part wasn't there people would generally do the roundabout in different ways, which in itself causes more danger, you'd have people going for the outer and inner lane, and trying to merge in to the correct bit.

My routes are correct. There's no such thing as a danger area on a roundabout. The red lanes are there to channel you into the correct lane. Your red lane splits into the two lanes after the first junction, ergo, you do not indicate. If you indicate, the driver on your right might think you're going to cut them up and you may be given a major due to signalling without cause.
Original post by ToastyCoke
My routes are correct. There's no such thing as a danger area on a roundabout. The red lanes are there to channel you into the correct lane. Your red lane splits into the two lanes after the first junction, ergo, you do not indicate. If you indicate, the driver on your right might think you're going to cut them up and you may be given a major due to signalling without cause.

personally id indicate when moving over, you're essentially changing lanes, and the lane you're moving in to, comes around the roundabout and splits, so anybody in that lane coming around already COULD potentially benefit from a signal.

But its a rather moot point, you shouldn't really be pulling out when others are coming around anyway, if there isnt sifficiant spcae to do what you're planning to do

But then you also have those entering from the right hand lane, once they are on the roundabout, they can split that lane also, so when following the red markings, you're essentially merging in to their lane.

Both the middle and right lanes on approach can use the split lane on the roundabout.
I had a route similar to this on my test and got really lost so ended up back at the centre 20 minutes late....the examiner didn't say anything!
Original post by kernow24
personally id indicate when moving over, you're essentially changing lanes, and the lane you're moving in to, comes around the roundabout and splits, so anybody in that lane coming around already COULD potentially benefit from a signal.

But its a rather moot point, you shouldn't really be pulling out when others are coming around anyway, if there isnt sifficiant spcae to do what you're planning to do

But then you also have those entering from the right hand lane, once they are on the roundabout, they can split that lane also, so when following the red markings, you're essentially merging in to their lane.

Both the middle and right lanes on approach can use the split lane on the roundabout.

No you should not. The middle lane, following the red marking, splits into two lanes. You do NOT need to indicate to choose either.

The right lane CANNOT use the split lane. They are filtered to stay in their lane also. No roundabout is EVER designed to allow two different lanes to use a split lane, that would cause constant smashes. Look at the road markings, it's clear that the middle lane splits into two.

The only way the inside lane can use the split, is if they came on the roundabout at a junction before the one the OP is on. Look at the white lane dividers, then the red markings. It'll become clear.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ToastyCoke
No you should not. The middle lane, following the red marking, splits into two lanes. You do NOT need to indicate to choose either.

The right lane CANNOT use the split lane. They are filtered to stay in their lane also. No roundabout is EVER designed to allow two different lanes to use a split lane, that would cause constant smashes. Look at the road markings, it's clear that the middle lane splits into two.

The only way the inside lane can use the split, is if they came on the roundabout at a junction before the one the OP is on. Look at the white lane dividers, then the red markings. It'll become clear.

this isn't correct, its the inside lane of the roundabout that splits in to two lanes,
Original post by kernow24
this isn't correct, its the inside lane of the roundabout that splits in to two lanes,

Yes, that lane splits if you joined the roundabout BEFORE the junction the op is joining. Read my post again.

Look at the red lane. That is the lane the OP would be in. The red lane splits over the two lanes. You really need to look at the roundabout again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending