The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wizman
Hi,

Iv been lurking on this thread for a while and was wondering if any of you had received your FSAC feedback; fyi had my assesment centre in early December and heard back with a positive response 2/3 days later.

thanks

I'm in the same situation as you; still waiting for the FSAC feedback. The website says that the feedback will be sent in early January, so I guess it could be within the next couple of weeks.
Original post by hq1
Mine was commercial and I have got my assessment on 26th.

Best of luck! Can I ask what you did to prepare for the e-tray or even the application process more broadly?
Reply 1582
Original post by frankers1088
I'm in the same situation as you; still waiting for the FSAC feedback. The website says that the feedback will be sent in early January, so I guess it could be within the next couple of weeks.

Ah cool, quite interested to know what my strengths and weaknesses are. it's a shame you don't get feedback for the analytical assesment centres.
Reply 1583
Original post by The_Lilac_Dane
Best of luck! Can I ask what you did to prepare for the e-tray or even the application process more broadly?

Thanks. I did not prepare for Etray or for any of the tests. However the Etray practice exercise provided by CSFS itself was quite useful and fortunately I had completed that twice.
Reply 1584
I didn't pass the e-Tray unfortunately. Does anyone have any advice on how to (or not) approach this task?

I guess you should first read the sections that relate to your role because it is a bit too much reading for 20 minutes.Later once you start the emails, sift through the material again and again as there is plenty of time though it seems like there isn't much time. Keep a list of competencies written in front of you to refer to them time and again if needed.It is basically the competencies that they are checking.You can jump to the next email if you feel stuck on one. Hope this helps.
Reply 1585
Original post by wizman
Hi,

Iv been lurking on this thread for a while and was wondering if any of you had received your FSAC feedback; fyi had my assesment centre in early December and heard back with a positive response 2/3 days later.

thanks

Congratulations! Can you please guide on how you prepared for the FSAC and how much preparation is needed? Can you give a bit of detail about the responses you used on the day and the kind of challenges you faced.Thanks!
Any detail above and beyond what's included in the fast stream guidance document could be seen as giving candidates an unfair advantage.
Hi, I have my FSAC next week and was just wondering if they usually finish on time?
I have work very early the next morning so want to make sure I can get back in good time!
Also, has anyone got any tips for how best to prepare myself for the day? It's my first time applying so unsure what to expect.
Original post by MoveTheChains
Hi, I have my FSAC next week and was just wondering if they usually finish on time?
I have work very early the next morning so want to make sure I can get back in good time!
Also, has anyone got any tips for how best to prepare myself for the day? It's my first time applying so unsure what to expect.

Mine finished a bit earlier than the finish time they advise, and I think we were the last group to finish for the day as each group has a slightly different schedule depending on the order you are doing the tasks in.

Genuinely the FSAC guidance document is pretty detailed and helpful, I found it useful just to print it off and read through section by section as it's a bit of a lengthy read
Reply 1589
Original post by onouse
Congratulations! Can you please guide on how you prepared for the FSAC and how much preparation is needed? Can you give a bit of detail about the responses you used on the day and the kind of challenges you faced.Thanks!

Obviously not going to go too much into detail as like others have said it would give you an undfair advantage.

I didnt really prepare for the FSAC other than thinking of examples for the various competencies assessed in the interview and even that was just on the train to the assesment centre. There is no point in my opinon over thinking what competencies you wish to display in each of the exercises as it is a long day and you will get caught out if you pretend to be soone you are not (plus if you lie about yourself to get the job I don't see how you will perform well at it).
Reply 1590

mine finished about half an hour before it was scheduled to but I think that was due to the group I was assigned to.

As as for preparing yourself I would suggest making sure you have a good nights sleep the night before as it is a very long intense day, when doing the various activities my number one tip would be to be confident.
Original post by onouse

Don't panic when working on your police exercise - you're going to have to skim through many pages and with the clock ticking it's easy to start panicking. Be aware that your answer will not be polished (I reserved last 5 minutes to read over it and run a spell check) but do spend some some time to think about the structure and make sure you addressed all the questions.
Hi I'm Charlotte.
I've posted before, but I have my assessment centre thing on the 5th Febuary, have booked a hotel the night before...

Nervous already!

Out of curiosity, what kind of clothes will everyone be wearing? I know the dress code is smart, as with any interview, but I dont want to wear trousers:confused and a suit, as I'm more of a dress kinda girl...
Original post by pippit
Seeing as my orientation is towards the end of January I would estimate that my FSAC day may be in February at the latest?

Could anyone that had an orientation day shed some light as to how long the dates were in-between the orientation and actual FSAC? Many thanks!

My orentation thing is on the 30th Jan and my assessment day is on the 5th Feb. But I'm not sure if that means yours will be the same as by the looks of things there are several. you should hear about the date soon though as I got mine within a couple of days from the orientation info. :smile:
I didn't pass the e-Tray unfortunately. Does anyone have any advice on how to (or not) approach this task?

Hey. Did you try practice etray tests beforehand? I found them very useful (except for the written part). Try the practice one Deloitte offer as well for some variation. Dont worry too much about not making it this time though, I applied last year and didnt pass the competency test, but I passed both that and the etray one this time...
Reply 1595
Hi!

I'm wearing a dress - I did FSAC last year and there were girls wearing both suits and dresses, so as long as it's smart/businessy then it's grand!

Original post by Copycats&Acrobats
Hi I'm Charlotte.
I've posted before, but I have my assessment centre thing on the 5th Febuary, have booked a hotel the night before...

Nervous already!

Out of curiosity, what kind of clothes will everyone be wearing? I know the dress code is smart, as with any interview, but I dont want to wear trousers:confused and a suit, as I'm more of a dress kinda girl...
Original post by frerejacques
Mine finished a bit earlier than the finish time they advise, and I think we were the last group to finish for the day as each group has a slightly different schedule depending on the order you are doing the tasks in.

Genuinely the FSAC guidance document is pretty detailed and helpful, I found it useful just to print it off and read through section by section as it's a bit of a lengthy read

Thanks for the advice.
Were we emailed that document or is it on the website itself? I can't seem to locate it.
Thanks for the advice.
Were we emailed that document or is it on the website itself? I can't seem to locate it.

It's on the website. After you log in click on 'maps and forms' on the left sidebar, it's one of the documents under 'download forms' :smile:
Original post by Laura.Laurent
It's on the website. After you log in click on 'maps and forms' on the left sidebar, it's one of the documents under 'download forms' :smile:

Thanks, I feel a lot more comfortable at the thought of the day itself now :smile:
Reply 1599
Not to get ahead of oneself but I was just reading some of the FS material and I'm a bit confused over how the scheme works in terms of promotion. I've applied for the Diplomatic Scheme and central departments. I understand that you are on the FS for two years in four 6-month placements then two 1 year placements but -

Is there automatic promotion if you complete the scheme? (or how does it work when you finish?)

and is it possible to get promoted off the scheme earlier, i.e. after 2-3 years?

Do many FS's get promoted in within 2-4 years?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending