The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dinaa
Not going school tomorrow :mmm: yess!

Do you go back Tuesday? My school goes back on Tuesday:colone:
Original post by Dinaa
Hello AS Chemistry TSRians!

I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread, where students doing AS Chemistry, post/ask questions, and we could all help each other out?

Teaching another person, also helps you become more confident and you both develop a better understanding. I know there is an A-level chat thread already, but this should be for learning!

There is no such thing as a silly question, so ask away and hopefully, you'll find someone who can help you :biggrin:

I shall also make a list of the Chemistry students, and what exam board they're all on! So please post what exam board you are on, if you are in!

List of the students doing Chemistry!

Spoiler

Lovely helpers!

Spoiler

I apologize if I've missed anyone out, got the list from Current year 12 list! (Lazy i know) :mmm:

P.S- If you don't want to, okay, you are not obliged to do so! But please, no rude/offensive comments :tongue:

:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:

Hey there!! :biggrin:

If anyone needs help on the AS OCR B Salters exam board I am happy to help as I am currently on the A2 syllabus!

:smile:
Hey hey! I'm doing A2 Chem atm but also resitting AS too! On OCR A :smile:

I think the first paper should be easy - god knows how i messed it up last year! Paper 2 is trickier as I need to brush up on some topics in organic like esterification and random crap like that lol
Hey I do AQA chembo, anyone got any method or help with limiting reagents. For some reason I just find it so hard to understand :O
Original post by ozzie2
Hey I do AQA chembo, anyone got any method or help with limiting reagents. For some reason I just find it so hard to understand :O
http://chem-guide.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/chemical-calculation-based-on-limiting.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCPLCQ-YK0

Sorry I dodged from the queue earlier, couldn't be bothered to play in the end haha
Original post by erudite
Hey hey! I'm doing A2 Chem atm but also resitting AS too! On OCR A :smile:

I think the first paper should be easy - god knows how i messed it up last year! Paper 2 is trickier as I need to brush up on some topics in organic like esterification and random crap like that lol

I'm doing AS and A2 this year. Same exam board as yours. First time though :smile:
Original post by ozzie2

Original post by jshep000

Lads we need to play some normals at some point, it's been ages :redface:
Original post by BBeyond

For sure man :biggrin: Can tonight if yous want to, I don't go back till Tuesday:cool:
For sure man :biggrin: Can tonight if yous want to, I don't go back till Tuesday:cool:

Nah can't tonight, gunna attempt to fix my train wreck of a sleeping pattern and I have mocks tomorrow :tongue: For sure this weekend though :biggrin:
OCR a here :smile:
Reply 310
Do you go back Tuesday? My school goes back on Tuesday:colone:

I have a Doctor's Appointment tomorrow :colone:

Check kik :tongue:
Original post by BBeyond
Nah can't tonight, gunna attempt to fix my train wreck of a sleeping pattern and I have mocks tomorrow :tongue: For sure this weekend though :biggrin:
Good luck brah for the mocks, mine are week after :biggrin: Yeah sounds like a plan.

Original post by Dinaa

Will do :smile:

Thanks and it's sound :smile:

Original post by BBeyond

You should have said that like last week, I have mocks next week so gotta revise for them and can't play LoL
Original post by bukosaurus_rex
Hey there!! :biggrin:

If anyone needs help on the AS OCR B Salters exam board I am happy to help as I am currently on the A2 syllabus!

I'm on it now for as! How did you do at As? How hard is the coursework?

Original post by Dinaa

Bey be ignoring my pm :unimpressed:
Original post by Rubayyy
I do AQA anyone else have their mocks this week?

Yup,

I got my mock on Thursday I believe.
you feeling prepared?

Good luck :wink::biggrin:
Hello OCR B here :tongue:

Anyone one know where I could find the answers to the questions in chemical storylines (AS) as we keep getting set homework but we never mark it.
Original post by lyricalvibe
I'm on it now for as! How did you do at As? How hard is the coursework?

Hi!

I got an A at AS which is quite easy to do if you know how to go about the exam, and the Advanced Notice Article, if you have any specific questions about this ask away.

As for the coursework, it isn't too hard, the experiments aren't too demanding as long as you follow the instructions they give you and practice in a safe way you will be fine. They are almost always titrations, however you may have to do others.

Always do readings to 2 decimal places or else you do lose a mark. Also make sure to draw your results table with units in the headings and when you draw a graph make sure the axes are labelled correctly with units as well and draw a line or curve of best fit.

Really the hardest thing about the coursework is that your teacher will be doing the experiment and whatever results they get in their experiment you have to be within 0.1cm3 (for titrations) error margin in order to get 5/5 in that section. If you are 0.2cm3 out you get 4/5 and so on until 0.5cm3 where you get 1/5. So you really need to be within that higher boundary.

Other than that, it is like the ISAs you may have done last year at GCSE, after the experiment you are given two papers to test your understanding

The first will give you a small introduction to the experiment you have just done and will then ask you questions about it, such as "how many moles of a compound did you use?" and you have to work it out using the moles equation.

They will ask you what the chemical equation or word equation is for your experiment, with titrations they will ask you what the unknown concentration of the compound is (this is what you do a titration for) so you have to know about ratios and the moles/concentration/volume equation. Also sometimes they ask about percentage error/ uncertainty is associated with one of the steps in your experiment for example your burette or pipette.

The next is more contextual and will deal with the ideas you are working with in your experiment, but this is given to you some time after the first test.

So for example if you worked with aqueous solutions of the elements chlorine, bromine and iodine and potassium chloride, potassium bromide and potassium iodide and cyclohexane; you may be asked what happens when a few drops of chlorine solution is added to an equal volume of cyclohexane and you may be asked why. So it is good to take note of what happened in your experiment, but your teacher should go through all the chemistry beforehand.

So in all honesty with these just make sure your skills that are needed such as moles calculations, empirical formulae, even table and graph drawing are up to scratch.

I hope this helped, if you are still unclear about anything, just ask me more questions, I'm happy to help.

Reply 317
Hi I have a question about equilibrium:
For the reaction:
H2 + I2 -> 2HI
Why is there an equal concentration of iodine and hydrogen at equilibrium?
I'm not really sure how to answer the question without showing calculations.
Pls help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mhb1998
Hi I have a question about equilibrium:
For the reaction:
H2 + I2 -> 2HI
Why is there an equal concentration of iodine and hydrogen at equilibrium?
I'm not really sure how to answer the question without showing calculations.
Pls help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well because they both have stoichiometric coefficients of 1, then if they both start with equal numbers of moles of gas in the container, then it is not possible for the ratio to change as both are involved in the reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
A compound which has major peaks with mass / charge ratio at 29, 57 and 58 in the
mass spectrum could be

A propanal, CH3CH2CHO.
B propanone, CH3COCH3
.C propan-1-ol, CH3CH2CH2OH.
D propan-2-ol, CH3CH(OH)CH3.
The answer is A but I can't for the love of god figure out why. Same thing for this Q
A charged rod is held beside a stream of liquid coming from a burette. Which of the
following liquids would NOT be significantly deflected?

A H2O
B CCl4
C C2H5OH
D C2H5Br

Can you explain why the answer is B?
Self studying here so I don't have a teacher to ask. Does it have anything to do with electronegativity difference between the molecules?

Quick Reply

Latest