The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CescaD96
I'm just wondering what is people's opinions; what would you go for?

Theres no difference in standing between the two if thats what your wondering.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Theres no difference in standing between the two if thats what your wondering.

I know that but it seems some people diss Scottish MAs.

Oxford and Cambridge also automatically 'convert' their BAs to MAs. It's the exact same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never heard of anybody studying this.

never heard that
Original post by Asklepios
Oxford and Cambridge also automatically 'convert' their BAs to MAs. It's the exact same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Huh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
never heard that

It's stupid, really.
Reply 9
I guess the main argument is: Why spend 4 years at a Scottish uni for the equivalent of a degree you can receive in England in 3 years? Especially with the financial side of it all.
One of the reasons why I am planning to go to Scotland and study is because I can get their MA in 3 years.
I guess the main argument is: Why spend 4 years at a Scottish uni for the equivalent of a degree you can receive in England in 3 years? Especially with the financial side of it all.
One of the reasons why I am planning to go to Scotland and study is because I can get their MA in 3 years.

That's not a very good reason. You could get a BA and then a proper masters degree in 4 years in England.

The main reason for doing a Scottish uni 4 year course is the greater flexibility of what you study and outside courses etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fluffylittlecat
Never heard of anybody studying this.

It's for the four ancient universities for everybody who's doing a first degree there.

If your Scottish or a rest of EU student the tuition is free.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not automatic though, and the Oxbridge MAs are doddier.

The better comparison is the Scottish MAs with the science bachelors Oxbridge offer (eg MChem).
Original post by clh_hilary
It's not automatic though, and the Oxbridge MAs are doddier.

The better comparison is the Scottish MAs with the science bachelors Oxbridge offer (eg MChem).

MChem is at a higher level than the Scottish MA though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
That's not a very good reason. You could get a BA and then a proper masters degree in 4 years in England.

The main reason for doing a Scottish uni 4 year course is the greater flexibility of what you study and outside courses etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said "one of", it's not my sole reason. I love the flexibility of Scottish degrees and I've also been offered a scholarship from my favourite Scottish university, with second year entry.
MChem is at a higher level than the Scottish MA though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh is it?
Reply 17
If your Scottish or a rest of EU student the tuition is free.

Scottish universities offer better scholarships too from my research.
Original post by clh_hilary
Oh is it?

Generally speaking,

PG Masters by research (MSc, MPhil etc) > integrated taught masters (MChem, MMath etc) > MA (ancient uni - Scotland, Oxbridge, Dublin) = BA/BSc at non-ancient
Generally speaking,

PG Masters by research (MSc, MPhil etc) > integrated taught masters (MChem, MMath etc) > MA (ancient uni - Scotland, Oxbridge, Dublin) = BA/BSc at non-ancient

You're talking about MChem as if they are postgraduate taught masters. They only have one dissertation/research project, not two.

Latest

Trending

Trending