The Student Room Group

Sexualities/Genders (And Other Terms One Should Know)

Heterosexual:Male-identifying individual sexually attracted to a female-identifying individual, and vice-versa.

Homosexual:Someone attracted to someone of the same gender as themselves.

Bisexual:Sexually attracted to two or more genders.

Polysexual:Sexually attracted to many genders, but not all.

Pansexual:Sexually attracted to all genders. (this and bisexual, and sometimes polysexual, are often considered to be the same thing and different people may simply identify as any one of them due to their own personal reasons)

Demisexual:Sexually attracted to people only after forming a bond with them first.

Asexual:Having no /sexual attraction/ to others; having no desire to have sex.

Heteroromantic:Male-identifying individual romantically attracted to female-identifying individuals, and vice-versa.

Homoromantic:Attracted romantically to the same gender.

Biromantic:Attracted romantically to two or more genders

Polyromantic:Attracted to many genders (but not all)

Panromantic:Attracted romantically to all genders

Demiromantic:Romantically attracted to people only after forming a bond with them first.

Aromantic:Having no /romantic attraction/ to others; having no desire to be in a romantic relationship.

Polyamorous:Someone who is attracted to, and is comfortable with being in a relationship with more than one person at a time.

Transexual/Transgender (Term depending on generation and location):An individual who identifies as a gender other than the one they were assigned at birth to be. Often shortened to trans

Cisgender:Someone who identifies as the gender that they were assigned as at birth. (ex. matches their birth certificate) Often shortened to cis

Intersex:Someone who has ambiguous genitalia that doesn't fit into our strict dichotomy of uterus or testes. Often forced into surgery to correct their genitals at a very young age, causing psychological and physical harm later in life

Nonbinary:Outside of the gender binary of male and female. (Can be used as an umbrella term or as its own identity)

Genderqueer:Outside of the gender binary. (**This is not an umbrella term like the post said before I edited it! Do not use this as an umbrella term for nonbinary individuals, simply use 'nonbinary'. Queer is considered a slur and not everyone likes to be associated with the word)

Agender:Someone who feels gender neutral, or someone who experiences a 'lack' of gender.

Bigender:Someone who identifies as two separate genders.

Trigender:Someone who identifies as three separate genders.

Genderfluid:A gender that changes, or is 'fluid'.

Demigirl:Identifying partially as a woman, but not wholly.

Demiboy/guy:Identifying partially as a man, but not wholly.

Dmab:Designated Male at Birth.

Dfab:Designated Female at Birth.

Amab/Afab:Same as dmab/dmab, except with 'assigned' instead of 'designated'.

Camab/Cafab:Same as previous, except prefixed by 'coercively', to highlight the lack of choice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by puregirl21
long list

What's the point of this thread?
Original post by xylas
What's the point of this thread?

I think it would be nice to educate others, the ignorant lot I would suppose of those around them, maybe that's what OP intends?....
Reply 3
Good lord :lolwut: :facepalm:
I genuinely found this interesting! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
:hmmm:
It's certainly cleared up some of my confusion on all the gender stuff.

I knew nearly all of the orientations stuff though. As a member of the LGBT+ community, maybe I should be expected to know most of it.

What would you say for someone like Roy from Corrie? He dated Hayley after her operation (if you've never watched the show, she was male at birth) and continued to do so after she 'came out' to him. To my knowledge he hasn't dated any male characters.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
What would you say for someone like Roy from Corrie? He dated Hayley after her operation (if you've never watched the show, she was male at birth) and continued to do so after she 'came out' to him. To my knowledge he hasn't dated any male characters.

He'd still be heterosexual as far as we know, as he'd only known Hayley as a woman and she identified as a woman (as well as physically being a woman after the operation:undefined:).
Original post by carlaraptor
He'd still be heterosexual as far as we know, as he'd only known Hayley as a woman and she identified as a woman (as well as physically being a woman after the operation:undefined:).

Depends on your definition of woman...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutellme
Depends on your definition of woman...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well biologically/legally/etc she became one, and she identified as a woman.

Roy knew her as a woman when he fell in love with her, so that would make him heterosexual (since the show doesn't suggest him being interested in men).

I don't think my definition of a woman is relevant.
Refer to yourself with any pop culture term you wish, I have little to no interest in them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Merm - person with both testes and visual female genitalia, but no ovaries.

Herm - both testes and ovaries.

Ferm - ovaries and visual male genitalia, but no testes.

http://www.uta.edu/english/timothyr/Fausto-Sterling.pdf
Reply 13
I've always wondered what demisexual is :colondollar:
Read this to genuinely and seriously learn some new terms...but oh boy when I got to demigirl/boy definitions, I almost spat out my coffee laughing.

Homosexual:Someone attracted to someone of the same gender as themselves.

Transexual/Transgender (Term depending on generation and location):An individual who identifies as a gender other than the one they were assigned at birth to be. Often shortened to trans

The relationship between gender and sex always interests me when it comes to these terms. Given the above definitions, do you postulate that, for example, if a man is sexually attracted towards an individual whom, although identifies as a female (in gender terms), is still in fact a member of the same sex as him, he isn't a homosexual?

Surely if he is sexually attracted to an individual whom he knowingly acknowledges as being of the same sex as himself, he's a homosexual?

I'm treading on hot-coal here ... apologies if I've offended on anybody.
This thread was useful, nice job OP. I've seen asexual in these forums so many times, I thought I was the only one that didn't know what it meant :s-smilie:
Original post by Burridge
The relationship between gender and sex always interests me when it comes to these terms. Given the above definitions, do you postulate that, for example, if a man is sexually attracted towards an individual whom, although identifies as a female (in gender terms), is still in fact a member of the same sex as him, he isn't a homosexual?

Surely if he is sexually attracted to an individual whom he knowingly acknowledges as being of the same sex as himself, he's a homosexual?

I'm treading on hot-coal here ... apologies if I've offended on anybody.

Sadly, she's got several of the definitions completely wrong so this thread was destined to fail before it started. Heterosexual and homosexual refer to attractions to sexes, not genders. (One wonders whether OP even knows the difference).
Original post by carlaraptor
Well biologically/legally/etc she became one, and she identified as a woman.

Roy knew her as a woman when he fell in love with her, so that would make him heterosexual (since the show doesn't suggest him being interested in men).

I don't think my definition of a woman is relevant.

her legally assigned gender was female, but her biological sex was still male. You can't change your biological sex.

you really need to get up to speed on the basic science here.
Reply 19
Can't be ****ed with this ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending