The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if they generally re interview or not for maths if you are pooled? I've been googling FOI requests but have found nothing.
Original post by Chestnut17
Does anyone know if they generally re interview or not for maths if you are pooled? I've been googling FOI requests but have found nothing.

I don't know about Maths specifically but they don't generally reinterview across the board. Most people in the pool are not reinterviewed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Day 2 in the pool.

Let's hope there's some serious fishing going on.
Do you think it's likely that I'll be called for reinterview if I'm not from the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 324
Original post by andrewy
According to their website at https://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/applying/timeline/ -
Friday 9 January: Offer letters posted to applicants.
By 5:00pm on Saturday 10 January: All decisions (offer, pool and unsucessful) will be emailed to applicants.

So you should be getting an email automatically on Saturday.
Good on Emma!

Original post by jneill
I wish other colleges were so clear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So do I.

Original post by Chestnut17
Last year, there were 22 maths poolees who posted on TSR, of whom six reported that they were called for re-interview. Of those, four were successful and two unsuccessful.

You won't find any published data on this, and I wouldn't get hooked up on it, to be honest. Proportionately maths applicants do get more offers than in other subjects, but this is because the STEP requirements are rigorous, and missing a maths offer is by no means a rare event.
Original post by Daphinator
They didn't say anything. They wouldn't give me a reason, just said they couldn't do a skype or telephone interview. I only ever sent them two emails but they were kinda rude. At first I wasn't even told what was gonna happen, I had to email them and ask. They said I would still be judged fairly but I don't see how that's possible if everyone else has an interview and I don't.

They even refused to send me the TSA because they didn't think it was important enough. Frankly I think I've been auto-rejected, but it would have been nice if they could have just told me that a month ago... (though that doesn't stop it from being completely unfair)

Wow that's scary... I read somewhere that if they're planning to reject you without an interview they should not wait till January to inform you so keep your hopes up :smile: what subject and college was that for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck everyone.

At the same time, it may be worth remembering that there is life outside of Oxbridge.
Original post by Minerva

X

Do you by any chance have any stats regarding how many proportionately overseas (EU) applicants got called for re interview and also for natural sciences?
And what is the general policy about using Skype for re interviews since a couple of days notice is not really sufficient for buying airplane tickets and definitely not for a reasonable price :/
Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 328
Original post by aersh8
Do you by any chance have any stats regarding how many proportionately overseas (EU) applicants got called for re interview and also for natural sciences?
No idea, but in any case it's important to remember that very few people will get called this week to come back for interview, and of those even fewer will be on on TSR. So, very few people here will get a call this week. The majority will hear one way or the other at the weekend, and the rest in the following days.
And what is the general policy about using Skype for re interviews since a couple of days notice is not really sufficient for buying airplane tickets and definitely not for a reasonable price :/
Thanks! :smile:
It's up to individual colleges what they do, but I repeat: re-interviews are relatively rare events, and even rarer for applicants who live abroad.

Only about 10% of pooled applicants were re-interviewed last year, and, as I have mentioned above, the number of applicants recalled for interview has been declining steadily over recent years. I would expect that trend to continue, as running interviews is time-consuming and expensive for the colleges as well as the applicants.
Original post by andrewy
According to their website at https://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/applying/timeline/ -
Friday 9 January: Offer letters posted to applicants.
By 5:00pm on Saturday 10 January: All decisions (offer, pool and unsucessful) will be emailed to applicants.

So you should be getting an email automatically on Saturday.

Does anyone on here know if Fitz will email decisions to applicants without applicants requesting for it? Can't seem to find anything online but I may have missed it... I wouldn't like to email and trouble the admissions team before being certain!
Anyone want to write an exposé for me please? :frown:
My final IB results are coming out tomorrow :cry2: Praying that they'll be up to scratch!
Reply 332
Original post by warmshowers
Does anyone on here know if Fitz will email decisions to applicants without applicants requesting for it? Can't seem to find anything online but I may have missed it... I wouldn't like to email and trouble the admissions team before being certain!

As far as I know they only post letters on the 9th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
out of curiosity
whats happening between the 6th and 8th
i am an international applicant
Original post by physicshelper
out of curiosity

It's all about the Pool.
Swim little fishes, swim.
Reply 335
Original post by physicshelper
out of curiosity
Read the OP - as a non-EU international, you definitely won't hear anything then, but a very small number of UK-based applicants may get recalled for interview, as may one or two EU based applicants .
Reply 336
Original post by notebooker
My final IB results are coming out tomorrow :cry2: Praying that they'll be up to scratch!

Good luck! Don't worry I'm sure it will be 45 :biggrin: In six months I will be in the exact same position :s-smilie: so close yet so far...
Original post by notebooker

November exams?
Good luck! I'm sure you did great :smile:

Original post by rubisco
Good luck! Don't worry I'm sure it will be 45 :biggrin: In six months I will be in the exact same position :s-smilie: so close yet so far...

Same... already scared for May.... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cerlohee
Yep! But the offer might be from another college after taking you out of the pool :redface:

Arrrrghh, so scary :redface:
Reply 339
Original post by ShellySpielberg
November exams?
Good luck! I'm sure you did great :smile:

Same... already scared for May.... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its nice to see IBers amidst all these A level people :smile: Negative 45 points here I come! In all seriousness I can see myself doing ok in IB and then failing something like CAS or TOK :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending