The Student Room Group

I have insomnia

I am about to cry after spending another night awake allnight since the past five days. I used to sleep really well but after the past few weeks its just been awful and really really terrible lately.

Its making me go insane. I even took sleeping tablets. I goto bed at 12 and then stay awake all night. Problem is I can sleep and sleep and sleep for hours and hours in the day, its not like I can't sleep. I don't sleep much in the day I last slept at 9pm last night and that was it.

I have turned all lights off and even tried to go asleep, I tossed and rolled all night from 12 to 3 and didn't sleep, it was as if it was daylight.. Right now its 6:54 and I honestly don't feel one bit tired. Its so weird. And my sleeping patterns aren't messed up because I don't sleep much in the day.

It was fine during christmas but now its back to normal and I can't have this. Its not actually fair because I want to sleep and I make an effort.

How can I really treat this? For me its actually falling asleep, once I am asleep I am asleep for like 12 hours.
Cant help ya tbh. More or less same situation.
Reply 2
I had this one before. My stupid neighbour kept playing music at night and wake me up constantly. Eventually I ended up not sleeping even when the music was not on. I tried everything, I think I managed to calm myself a lot while lying in bed but still nothing. I also tried taking melatonin, but I can't say that it was a success story. I looked at ZMA, as someone training in gym it would have been a natural choice for me as a sleep aid, but ended up not using it, was scared of it causing acne.
What really helped me is using earplugs, like I said the music was not on too often, but I still used my earplugs and that must have given me the kind of relief that even if that idiot ****er turns on his dumb ass music I'm still safe. All in all it took a really long time to get back into sleeping properly, without earplugs or other help, but then it just happened automatically, on its own.
I think what you should do is shut out all the stress and everything that could possible disturb you. Look for things that disturb your sleeping pattern in the recent past.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by benji385
I had this one before. My stupid neighbour kept playing music at night and wake me up constantly. Eventually I ended up not sleeping even when the music was not on. I tried everything, I think I managed to calm myself a lot while lying in bed but still nothing. I also tried taking melatonin, but I can't say that it was a success story. I looked at ZMA, as someone training in gym it would have been a natural choice for me as a sleep aid, but ended up not using it, was scared of it causing acne.
What really helped me is using earplugs, like I said the music was not on too often, but I still used my earplugs and that must have given me the kind of relief that even if that idiot ****er turns on his dumb ass music I'm still safe. All in all it took a really long time to get back into sleeping properly, without earplugs or other help, but then it just happened automatically, on its own.
I think what you should do is shut out all the stress and everything that could possible disturb you. Look for things that disturb your sleeping pattern in the recent past.

To be honest I was thinking about earplugs. (probably need them next year) I thought about going to bed earlier and I have went to bed at 10 but for some reason if I goto bed at 10 I wake up again at midnight, not sure why.

From this i've definitely learn't that i'm not the kind of person to stay up partying late. As i've got older the desire to stay up late has reduced a lot. Don't know how i'm going to fix this, bought some tablets today.
To solve insomnia, have you thought of speaking to a professional? :/ Could help more than you think, and if it ends in you being given pills, they will most probably work because they have been prescribed by a doctor, rather than 'over the counter' medication, which, whilst still reliable, may not help in the same way.

Hope this helps lol :tongue:
Hey,

I'm in a similar situation. The best tip I could give you is to stop worrying so much, so what if you don't sleep? Sleep is a strange activity, it only comes to you when you don't want it. Over thinking will just keep you up even more. When you find you can't fall asleep, just breath deep, feeling the air coming in and out of your nose, do this for 2 minutes. Then, (it might sound stupid) imagine a flock of sheep jumping over a wooden fence, whilst imaging this in your head, count from 100 backwards, in multiples of 3.

And, Welcome to the Insomnia Club :smile:, remember it's all about mindset :biggrin:. Forget that you need to sleep and you shall prosper, i wish you luck in your fight against insomnia :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Frostyjoe
To be honest I was thinking about earplugs. (probably need them next year) I thought about going to bed earlier and I have went to bed at 10 but for some reason if I goto bed at 10 I wake up again at midnight, not sure why.

From this i've definitely learn't that i'm not the kind of person to stay up partying late. As i've got older the desire to stay up late has reduced a lot. Don't know how i'm going to fix this, bought some tablets today.

OK, well good luck with your tablets, hope you can finally get a good night sleep tonight!
Whats important in the long run though is to stop worrying about not being able to sleep. I know its easier said than done, but trust me Ive been through this! In fact, although its a good thing that you do your research on the matter, but I strongly recommend never looking at this thread again. Back in the days when I was struggling to sleep I spent an hour or two on google everyday to figure out what could be wrong with me or how can I solve it, but now I know that all I should have done is forget about it and doing so would have been hell of a lot easier if I don't read about it that much.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest