The Student Room Group

A2 english literature coursework

I just finished my AS English Literature and my teachers are making me start A2 already. I'm meant to think of coursework questions and book and I'm a little stuck. I'd like to do The Picture of Dorian Gray but I'm not sure about what I could compare it to.

It's for AQA English Lit B.
Original post by S.Mundane
I just finished my AS English Literature and my teachers are making me start A2 already. I'm meant to think of coursework questions and book and I'm a little stuck. I'd like to do The Picture of Dorian Gray but I'm not sure about what I could compare it to.

Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
Been as it's considered a gothic text, perhaps Jekyll and Hyde or one of the texts youre NOT doing for the actual course (assuming youre doing Gothic), so Frankenstein or Dracula? You could compare different themes or elements of Gothic, or maybe use a quote in your title to kickstart a debate.
However, if you are doing Gothic for the exam, then your teachers might not be happy with you doing Gothic-style coursework, so you need to check and they may suggest a non Gothic novel for comparison.
If while you're doing your coursework you would like an example, I did The Kite Runner and Half of a Yellow Sun and got 25/30, and would be happy to send it to you if you need it!

First of all, it is quite unusual to think of a text and then not have an idea of what you want from it. Have you even looked into the book, what themes it has, what is the general plot? I just did Dorian Gray for my A2 coursework. Are you wanting to focus on a literature tradition such as WW1 literature, Victorian Literature, British Modernism Lit, etc. Or by the looks of things, you are wanting to go with a theme such as how women a portrayed, masculinity, destructive forces of love, etc.

You need to consider why you are thinking about Dorian Gray and what attracted you to this book. If it was themes then look for other novels that explore some the themes such as morality, aesthetic beauty, deception, illusions vs appearances, etc. Perhaps you like the sound of the plot? Perhaps look at how characters decline or fall from grace is a major plot you can look at in Dorian Gray.

Do you need to compare to another prose text, or can it be a collection of poems, perhaps a selection of poems or drama text? Is there any constraints as to how far back in time you can go?

These are all the questions you need to consider for your coursework and Dorian Gray, in especially.
Original post by Parkleton
Been as it's considered a gothic text, perhaps Jekyll and Hyde or one of the texts youre NOT doing for the actual course (assuming youre doing Gothic), so Frankenstein or Dracula? You could compare different themes or elements of Gothic, or maybe use a quote in your title to kickstart a debate.
However, if you are doing Gothic for the exam, then your teachers might not be happy with you doing Gothic-style coursework, so you need to check and they may suggest a non Gothic novel for comparison.
If while you're doing your coursework you would like an example, I did The Kite Runner and Half of a Yellow Sun and got 25/30, and would be happy to send it to you if you need it!

I literally just remembered about this thread! Omg yes please! I ended up switching texts because I wasn't keen on Dorian Grey. Instead, I'm doing The Kite Runner and I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Original post by Parkleton

Original post by The Empire Odyssey
First of all, it is quite unusual to think of a text and then not have an idea of what you want from it. Have you even looked into the book, what themes it has, what is the general plot? I just did Dorian Gray for my A2 coursework. Are you wanting to focus on a literature tradition such as WW1 literature, Victorian Literature, British Modernism Lit, etc. Or by the looks of things, you are wanting to go with a theme such as how women a portrayed, masculinity, destructive forces of love, etc.

You need to consider why you are thinking about Dorian Gray and what attracted you to this book. If it was themes then look for other novels that explore some the themes such as morality, aesthetic beauty, deception, illusions vs appearances, etc. Perhaps you like the sound of the plot? Perhaps look at how characters decline or fall from grace is a major plot you can look at in Dorian Gray.

Do you need to compare to another prose text, or can it be a collection of poems, perhaps a selection of poems or drama text? Is there any constraints as to how far back in time you can go?

These are all the questions you need to consider for your coursework and Dorian Gray, in especially.

Hey, thanks for both your help! I only remembered about this thread today. Yeah, I didn't know what I wanted from the text so I changed to ones I thought would be a little easier.
Hey, thanks for both your help! I only remembered about this thread today. Yeah, I didn't know what I wanted from the text so I changed to ones I thought would be a little easier.

Which texts did you go with in the end?
Which texts did you go with in the end?

I'm dong the kite runner and I know why the caged bird sings. I've only given in a draft so I'm waiting to see how it turns out.
I'm dong the kite runner and I know why the caged bird sings. I've only given in a draft so I'm waiting to see how it turns out.

Have you received any feedback as of yet?
Have you received any feedback as of yet?

I've been told its good but haven't been given a band or any other feedback yet.
Hey! I know it's a year after this post but do you still have your coursework? Cause I would really appreciate if I could read through it!

Quick Reply

Latest