The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elcor
Anyone else a bit screwed because they're of the mindset that there's no other university that they'd like to go to in comparison to Cambridge? I mean, I have an offer from Imperial but I honestly don't like it that much! I just love everything about Cambridge; the atmosphere, the collegiate system, the people, the city, the course, etc. I feel like nowhere else warrants spending 4 years of my life there and a £36,000 debt... I think I'd even consider reapplying but I have no idea what I'd do for a year. So much depends on the 10th.

F*ck

It depends what course you are doing. I think it would be insane if you turn down imperial for an engineering course. For some courses imperial is much more respected than cambridge! You are very lucky to to have an offer from IC so don't waste it if you don't get into Cam! But I am sure you will get it anyway haha
Reply 441
Original post by Chlorophile
There's the £36k for tuition and living expenses and accommodation would probably be around £10k a year. I'm not a huuge fan of Imperial as a place but the Earth Sciences department is awesome, everyone I've seen is amazingly friendly and their student satisfaction is pretty insane. So in terms of the course and the department I'd say it's a decent alternative to Oxford for me... but I really, really do not want to live in South Kensington. I actually like Cambridge more than Oxford but Oxford's still a very nice place, much nicer than London.

Imperial has a generous bursary of £6000 (but that's cos it's London) if your parents earn under £25k. There's also the government bursary of about £3.5k, so that's £9.5k you wouldn't need to pay back. Then there's the £8,000 government loan (which you do need to pay back) for full-time students at a London uni.

Edit: Although I'm not certain which of these funding opportunities, if any, are available each year or only at the start.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill
10th.

The letters are posted on the 9th. Most will arrive on the 10th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

cheers! :smile: urghhh, I'm gonna be at work all day on the 10th!!
Original post by Elcor
Imperial has a generous bursary of £6000 (but that's cos it's London) if your parents earn under £25k. There's also the government bursary of about £3.5k, so that's £9.5k you wouldn't need to pay back. Then there's the £8,000 government loan (which you do need to pay back) for full-time students at a London uni.

I know, but we've got just enough money so that I no longer qualify for the bursary but not enough so that my parents can give me anything substantial. So there's still something like £70k of debt minimum. Which obviously I'll just have to deal with like everyone else, it's just depressing knowing that the debt will still be there when I'm 50.
Does anyone know if corpus will be emailing?
Bit confused, keep seeing the decision referred to as a letter. Does this mean a physical/posted letter, or the ones on UCAS? Cheers
Reply 446
Original post by Chlorophile
I know, but we've got just enough money so that I no longer qualify for the bursary but not enough so that my parents can give me anything substantial. So there's still something like £70k of debt minimum. Which obviously I'll just have to deal with like everyone else, it's just depressing knowing that the debt will still be there when I'm 50.

If what you mean is it's just off £25k, you'll get £5,300 from Imperial. It's a sliding scale like the government ones. :smile:

Like I said, it's not clear on the websites whether or not you only get one installment, or the same amount each academic year (but I'm probably just not paying enough attention).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Elcor
If what you mean is it's just of £25k, you'll get £5,300 from Imperial. It's a sliding scale like the government ones. :smile:

Like I said, it's not clear on the websites whether or not you only get one installment, or the same amount each academic year (but I'm probably just not paying enough attention).

Nope, just off £60k :/ Which I know sounds like a lot but for London it isn't.
Original post by YvT1
I hope so.. ok i am not international i am eu but it still take ages.. i think i will also email them.. thanks :smile:)

We'll I'm in a weird situation. I'm in the EU (France) right now but I applied from America. I'm actually from England though (move around a lot with dad's work).

So I think it might be the same with EU. Either way you'll know by the 12th via e-mail.
Original post by CheIIe
Hi I am international as well:smile:
Is this date only for Downing or all other colleges?
They are pooling right now so I don't want to email and annoy them... I got email for the interview invitation but the admission did not send me accommodation details until I emailed and asked for it, and the actual post only arrived shortly before my flight to London...

I would assume it's the same for all colleges, and I don't think you have to e-mail to request it, but you can if you want.
Does anyone know if Corpus will be emailing?
does anybody know if (or when) queens college will send out an email or when they will update it on UCAS. I am an european applicant so letter may take some time to arrive.
Reply 452
Original post by Elcor
Anyone else a bit screwed because they're of the mindset that there's no other university that they'd like to go to in comparison to Cambridge? I mean, I have an offer from Imperial but I honestly don't like it that much! I just love everything about Cambridge; the atmosphere, the collegiate system, the people, the city, the course, etc. I feel like nowhere else warrants spending 4 years of my life there and a £36,000 debt... I think I'd even consider reapplying but I have no idea what I'd do for a year. So much depends on the 10th.

F*ck

Exactly! It sounds kinda elitist to say that I don't want to go anywhere else, but there are so many factors that matter. I've been rereading some propectuses from other places I applied to just to convince myself that there are other options.
Confused as to how and when I'll get my decision letter/ email etc. Which arrives first? I'm a normal UK student but seen so many conflicting posts/websites etc that I don't know what's going on anymore! help please!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Freestyle29
Confused as to how and when I'll get my decision letter/ email etc. I'm a normal UK student but seen so many conflicting posts/websites etc that I don't know what's going on anymore! help please!

You'll just get a letter through your door on the 10th. Ignore anything else
For CORPUS CHRISTI applicants:

" The Admissions Office is now closed until Monday 5th January.
All decision letters will be posted on Friday 9th January.* Overseas applicants will be emailed during the week beginning Monday 12th January."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brilliant thanks!
Reply 457
Original post by IesIicules
Does anyone know if corpus will be emailing?

They might have the dates on their applicant information page. King's says that the whole university sends the letters on the 9th, and they'll send emails on the 12th. It's probably the same for most colleges.
Reply 458
Original post by cameron245
We'll I'm in a weird situation. I'm in the EU (France) right now but I applied from America. I'm actually from England though (move around a lot with dad's work).

So I think it might be the same with EU. Either way you'll know by the 12th via e-mail.

I am not sure that all colleges also send an email.. some do.. but unfortunately not all.. so most probably i will ask them to cz waiting is horrible..
Original post by YvT1
I am not sure that all colleges also send an email.. some do.. but unfortunately not all.. so most probably i will ask them to cz waiting is horrible..

Fair enough; never hurts to ask!

Latest

Trending

Trending