The Student Room Group

How to get into DENTAL NURSING?

I've just finished a rather pointless degree which aims at no specific job.
My mum suggested dental nursing and I've been liking the idea for a couple weeks now, I've done quite a bit of research and feel like its a job I'd suit plus there's progression, from a diploma in dental nursing I could go on to be a dental hygienist which is the aim.

I've found a local course who I've been in contact with and is starting next week. It's costs about £1000- for that you get tuition every Wednesday evening and the rest of the time you'll be on training. The course helps you find a local training company, of course been a dental trainee you get payed, only min wage though.
The course takes a year and then you have your dental nursing diploma. The exams cost an additional £600 but you don't need to pay anything until nearer the time.

My mum isn't very happy about the course and says its robbery and that it's just putting money in someone else's pocket. She thinks I should just find a company who will take me on as a trainee and then they will sort out a course to get my qualification as 'any good company with help/want you to progress' - is she right?

Thank for any help/advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by daisy136
My mum suggested dental nursing and I've been liking the idea for a couple weeks now, I've done quite a bit of research and feel like its a job I'd suit plus there's progression, from a diploma in dental nursing I could go on to be a dental hygienist which is the aim.

I've found a local course who I've been in contact with and is starting next week. It's costs about £1000- for that you get tuition every Wednesday evening and the rest of the time you'll be on training. The course helps you find a local training company, of course been a dental trainee you get payed, only min wage though.
The course takes a year and then you have your dental nursing diploma. The exams cost an additional £600 but you don't need to pay anything until nearer the time.

My mum isn't very happy about the course and says its robbery and that it's just putting money in someone else's pocket. She thinks I should just find a company who will take me on as a trainee and then they will sort out a course to get my qualification as 'any good company with help/want you to progress' - is she right?

hi daisy I am in a similar position I am a psych graduate. And had applied to dental hygiene/therapy was unsuccessful and now looking to do dental nursing instead to use that as stepping stone to dht.

the course ur mentioning is it a company or college. Fe colleges will normally run svq/Nc level courses full time wich will include the placement. Now this is a bit sneaky as technicly you shouldn't get a bursary for an Nc/svq type course when u hold a degree but if u don't tell then you hold degree they can find out. Just be careful to ensure you don't apply to hnc level as I have saw a few colleges offering this wich would need student loan funding or self fund wich you won't get as u already have degree.

Can I ask where u live?

the reason I ask to Nhs health boards near me offer trainee dental nurse where they will send you to college 1 day a week and you work in a local health board clinic or dental hospital the other 4 days the good news is u get paid I have applied to Nhs Lanarkshire and Nhs ggc wich are in traveling distance for myself. Try looking for something similar in your health board? Do you have a dental hosp near you? Contact them, and ask about training as a dental nurse they will normaly be able to point you in right direction.

Last option get a job as a trainee dental nurse in a local practice they will often pay your training or you can do training in evening or by distance learning. The nebdn exam is £420 from 2014 the company charging £60" are ripping you off and who knows with the course. I'd say your best bet is contact local fe colleges who run dental nurse course. The trainee dental nurse jobs for local health boards are currently advertised for near me I'm guessing all health boards take on at same time. Check the Nhs recruitment website. And check for trainee dental nurse jobs in local practice all sound better than the course ur paying for.

I have just recently got a place on a dental nurse course at college and as I said applied to two health boards and 1 local practice if I am successful in one of those I'd do that rather than full time course as will get paid. I'd never pay one of those company's and would only use somewhere gdc approve of. For approved learning provider check the gdc website. Oh and when it came to getting on dental nurse course at college i was hobest that i an actuallu interested in hygiene therapy and only usibg nursing ad a stepping stone for experience to get into this course next year. Make sure whatever your studying will give gdc registration as well. Hope this helps you. I think your mums right.
Reply 2

that should say the college can't find out you hold a degree unless you tell them. All options unless you have an employer who will pay for you will mean you need to pay the registration exam yourself at end and the practical oske

good luck with it. If there is anything I can do to help or advise you just ask.

Oh the other thing is dental nursing is poorly paid, it's generally around minimum wage but if u can get to work in Nhs dental hosp it pays better than a general dental practice. The first thing is get qualified though. However if u can get into dental therapy or hygiene it pays very well. There are some courses in England you can get Nhs bursary for rather than student loan this would be your best option it's general two yours for dip dental hygiene and most courses are now combined as a dual qualification at 3 years. As you like me will already have used your student loan funding you need to get on a course that offers bursary funding. Last thing try and find some where the will let u observe in practice for a day make sure your not bother by b.o vommit urine blood saliva etc the inside of some mouths is beyond disgusting best to check you can cope with it it's a real eye opener.
Reply 3
Hey guys,

I would recommend looking for local practices advertising for trainees :biggrin: that way you get their support and the experience of working within a practice (and being paid a more reasonable wage than apprenticeship). Best of luck, DN is a totally different career than it once was, there is so much scope to progress and acquire new skills, which would hopefully lead to you achieving a place on a DH&T course!!
Reply 4
Original post by katya1986
Hey guys,

I would recommend looking for local practices advertising for trainees :biggrin: that way you get their support and the experience of working within a practice (and being paid a more reasonable wage than apprenticeship). Best of luck, DN is a totally different career than it once was, there is so much scope to progress and acquire new skills, which would hopefully lead to you achieving a place on a DH&T course!!

Hi yes, that's exactly what ivf said get a trainee nurse in a practice, local health board or Even a full time college place. The general dental practice here pay min wage, the Nhs health boards pay 16k training then around 19 when qualified. I'd guess that's the best route but probably most competition. I'm only really doing it to move to into therapy by next year. Are you a dental nurse at the minute
Reply 5
Original post by debsc29
Hi yes, that's exactly what ivf said get a trainee nurse in a practice, local health board or Even a full time college place. The general dental practice here pay min wage, the Nhs health boards pay 16k training then around 19 when qualified. I'd guess that's the best route but probably most competition. I'm only really doing it to move to into therapy by next year. Are you a dental nurse at the minute

Hiya, Yeah I'm a dental nurse at the minute. I think it would be a great way for you to confirm that you want to progress on to do DT. If you need any help or advice let me know :h:
Reply 6
Original post by debsc29
that should say the college can't find out you hold a degree unless you tell them. All options unless you have an employer who will pay for you will mean you need to pay the registration exam yourself at end and the practical oske

good luck with it. If there is anything I can do to help or advise you just ask.

Oh the other thing is dental nursing is poorly paid, it's generally around minimum wage but if u can get to work in Nhs dental hosp it pays better than a general dental practice. The first thing is get qualified though. However if u can get into dental therapy or hygiene it pays very well. There are some courses in England you can get Nhs bursary for rather than student loan this would be your best option it's general two yours for dip dental hygiene and most courses are now combined as a dual qualification at 3 years. As you like me will already have used your student loan funding you need to get on a course that offers bursary funding. Last thing try and find some where the will let u observe in practice for a day make sure your not bother by b.o vommit urine blood saliva etc the inside of some mouths is beyond disgusting best to check you can cope with it it's a real eye opener.

Hi, thanks for your reply! I read it a couple of days ago but I've just been pondering over what to do...
I've decided against that course I had to pay for, the company rang me 3 times today and twice on blocked (didn't pick up) - must be pretty desperate!
I looked into Dental Hygine which is what I want to do, all of them ask for a GCSE grade A-C in biology, which I don't have, I did science and got my lowest grade, D. They also ask for a Dental Nurse Cert.
-- neither do I have.
Today I looked on NHS courses, which seems to be the best option...do you think if I pass the dental nursing I will be able to straight onto hygine? Even if I don't have A-C in sciences.... That's the aim, I don't really want to be a dental nurse as the pays rubbish!
The course starts around Feb next year (unsure of the month 100%, can't remember), Im going to applyig but in the meantime I'm going to do Au Pairing in Italy or Spain and then Chalet Host in France during the winter.
When does the course your looking at start?

thanks again for your reply! Helpful :smile:
Reply 7
Hi, thanks for your reply! I read it a couple of days ago but I've just been pondering over what to do...
I've decided against that course I had to pay for, the company rang me 3 times today and twice on blocked (didn't pick up) - must be pretty desperate!
I looked into Dental Hygine which is what I want to do, all of them ask for a GCSE grade A-C in biology, which I don't have, I did science and got my lowest grade, D. They also ask for a Dental Nurse Cert.
-- neither do I have.
Today I looked on NHS courses, which seems to be the best option...do you think if I pass the dental nursing I will be able to straight onto hygine? Even if I don't have A-C in sciences.... That's the aim, I don't really want to be a dental nurse as the pays rubbish!
The course starts around Feb next year (unsure of the month 100%, can't remember), Im going to applyig but in the meantime I'm going to do Au Pairing in Italy or Spain and then Chalet Host in France during the winter.
When does the course your looking at start?

thanks again for your reply! Helpful :smile:

honestly? You won't get into dental hygiene/therapy without biology ( some prefer human biology ) so my advice would be get into a practice or Nhs health board offering trainee dental nurse roles. I'd look into biology/human biology at night as well.

You said you already have a degree? You need to definitely get human biology once you have that you will at least get an interview.

Dental nursing is an alternate route but again they want this as well as biology. What the dental nursing qualification does is put you in front of candidate with highers/a level and no nursing qualification. Yes dental nursing pay isn't great I'd do it maximum 1 year In a dental practice maybe 2-3 in a Nhs hospital.

So first thing is her ur human bio, and try and get a trainee dental nurse job. Glad you haven't went down the paid course route they are obviously very desperate as you say.

Dental hygiene therapy is a great career, as I mention I have a degree already I have human bio and chemistry too and had voluntary exp in a practice. I didnt get in to Glasgow or Dumfries. The competition is feirce. There usually 10-14 places per dental school. There are usually hundreds of applicants for these places. The application process and competition is very intense. All the schools definitely insist on bio and usually want grade b or above. The dental nursing will definitely help you but without biology you won't get In.
Reply 8
Dear Katya,

I would like to ask you about the online training Dental Nurse Academy course. Is it acceptable if I do that course as it is much more comfortable in many aspects and in the meantime I find a job in a local dental practice as a Trainee Dental Nurse which I am kind of struggling to find. What is the required time length of working in a practice as a trainee dental nurse in order to be accepted to do the exams?
Looking forward to your reply,
Reply 9
Hi, I'm currently a hairdresser in Cumbria. I am looking at a Career change studying dental nursing and a possible move down South to Portsmouth. I was looking at Harriet ellis, but they are quite pricey and heard mixed reviews? Can anyone recommend any other academy's in Portsmouth or any other ways into dental nursing? Any advise would be highly appreciated :smile:
Reply 10
It's best to just apply to fe colleges Harriet Ellis charge you college will give funding. Or find an employer taking trainee paid who will fund it x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by debsc29
It's best to just apply to fe colleges Harriet Ellis charge you college will give funding. Or find an employer taking trainee paid who will fund it x

Thanks very much for your help, I am currently looking for work in dental surgeries and hoping to start a college course in sept. Fingers crossed :smile: x
Reply 12
[QUOTE="Jaxevans;52690117"]
Original post by debsc29

Thanks very much for your help, I am currently looking for work in dental surgeries and hoping to start a college course in sept. Fingers crossed :smile: x

Id definitely do that route, I work as a dental nurse now- the national diploma is best definitly and to be honest although Harriet Ellis charge you the people struggle with getting work experience. But that may just be in my area as there are only three colleges in scotland still offering dental nursing and two happen to be in glasgow. So the Harriet Ellis cohort are competing with them- I tend to think employers prefer the proper college students to Harriet Ellis. Good luck. X
Dear Katya.
I’m in bit of a bother. I’m in college doing NC health and social care level 6. my problem is that i can't choose between nurse sector or dental sector. I have done a placement in a care home and did not like it enough to want to work in that environment. I’ll be going to a hospital placement next week. i researched on dental nursing and dental hygienist. I found Bsc oral health Science but don't know if grades are good for it. I am leaning towards dentistry, but don't know how to come across it (what courses to take, grades appropriate etc.) I’m scared about the above and that I’m heading nowhere. Any advice? I’m living in Scotland. Thanks. :console:
Reply 14
Original post by Missc7336
Dear Katya.
I’m in bit of a bother. I’m in college doing NC health and social care level 6. my problem is that i can't choose between nurse sector or dental sector. I have done a placement in a care home and did not like it enough to want to work in that environment. I’ll be going to a hospital placement next week. i researched on dental nursing and dental hygienist. I found Bsc oral health Science but don't know if grades are good for it. I am leaning towards dentistry, but don't know how to come across it (what courses to take, grades appropriate etc.) I’m scared about the above and that I’m heading nowhere. Any advice? I’m living in Scotland. Thanks. :console:

Hi, you need higher English and biology at b for oral health science ( along with two other it's udually bbbb at higher)

But, if you don't get those a good way to go is dental nursing and try to upgrade the Highers in the mean time then reapply. In a dental nurse 4 Highers, previous degree, and have been applying to dental therapy for past three years. They definitly give priority to nurses unless you have excellent higher and work experience. Also try to get work exoerience in a dentist if you want to apply.
Dental nursing is much easier to get into than dental hygiene but is also a very popular course for college applicants
[QUOTE="debsc29;52697573"]
Original post by Jaxevans

Id definitely do that route, I work as a dental nurse now- the national diploma is best definitly and to be honest although Harriet Ellis charge you the people struggle with getting work experience. But that may just be in my area as there are only three colleges in scotland still offering dental nursing and two happen to be in glasgow. So the Harriet Ellis cohort are competing with them- I tend to think employers prefer the proper college students to Harriet Ellis. Good luck. X

Hi, The National Diploma is certainly the best qualification to get as it is the only one which is recognised outside of the UK, as well as being the oldest and most well known course in the UK. It is not true that employers prefer 'proper college students' as Harriet Ellis students are most definitely extremely high quality students. There are different colleges out there and you need to find the one that works best for you. At Harriet Ellis you can start even if you don't have a placement, as the course is designed to give you the most flexibility. However, it is not possible for any college to guarantee that you will find a placement as this is ultimately up to the practices as to who they take on. You need to have had your vaccinations and be registered on a course in order to start working in the practice, so it is worth looking into these things as well before you make a commitment.
Reply 16
you sound like you work for hariet Ellis so obviously you'd say that. I have worked in a few prominent practices in my Area and all the principle/practice managers have said they wouldn't take on a Harriet Ellis traineen im jus giving personal experience!

Maybe it's like that here because there are two big well established colleges who do dental nursing feeding into practices in addition to dental hospital trainee nurses that go out on placement. So yea the Harriet Ellis trainees really struggle here despite paying a lot. Not to mention the course is free through the college and dental hospital so really doesn't make sense to pay got it.
Original post by debsc29
you sound like you work for hariet Ellis so obviously you'd say that. I have worked in a few prominent practices in my Area and all the principle/practice managers have said they wouldn't take on a Harriet Ellis traineen im jus giving personal experience!

Maybe it's like that here because there are two big well established colleges who do dental nursing feeding into practices in addition to dental hospital trainee nurses that go out on placement. So yea the Harriet Ellis trainees really struggle here despite paying a lot. Not to mention the course is free through the college and dental hospital so really doesn't make sense to pay got it.

Hi,

Yes I do work for Harriet Ellis. I am their course director. I want to help everyone out which is why I'm on here- I'm a qualified dental nurse myself and completed the National Diploma through evening classes, back when it was still the certificate! There are lots of different course options and they all have their pros and cons. I paid for my course, because I wanted to get paid for my work placement and when I did it the 'free' courses meant no income - and I had bills to pay. It's not easy to find placements, however they do tend to be better quality and in Scotland our current placement rate is high. It's over 70% - which means that there are definitely positions out there. You just have to be really persistent in your search. A lot of the free courses are a different qualification and that doesn't allow you to work abroad. It really does depend on the student. I'm not here to push Harriet Ellis, just to help out.
Reply 18
Evening,
I am a Dental Nurse Tutor in Glasgow for Harriet Ellis and I can confirm that the majority of my students have all successfully found placements in Glasgow & North Lanarkshire. The current evening class I have of 13, 10 of these students successfully have secured placement since October when the course began. As a Diploma tutor I am dedicated to my weekly teaching. I understand that it's alot of money to pay for your training course, however this IS used to successfully gain employement as bosses know you are dedicated as you have funded this yourself. Also what you are paying for is 7 days a week online support and phone help when needed, I can assure you I know through personal experience that this is not included from a "proper college".
My new course starting in Glasgow in the next few weeks is almost at full-capacity, so there are lots of students out there who are committed to starting a new career in dental nursing and I will help them all I can :smile:
Hope this helps.
Sophie
I noticed someone had asked about the Dental nurse academy online. I have a degree in a comepletely unrealted field but I find my job boring and fear I may have gone down the wrong route! I had looked into the Dental Nurse Academy as it allows me to work at my own pace in the evenings or weekends and i can still work. I don't have to get out early to rush to a different town for a certain time for an evening class. You pay a monthly fee and I had spoken to my dentist a while ago and they said they would let me come in a couple of evenings a week to gain practical experience. Is that an OK way to go about becoming a dental nurse?

I am still really undecided what to do. I don't want to start dental nurse training and pay for the online course to find that full time work, plus practical experience and studying is all too much for me, although i think i would be ok as i have worked a few jobs before whilst at uni! So undecided!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending