The Student Room Group

Revision advice needed!

I've got my mocks coming up in two weeks time and i have 'revised' (made notes for every single subject) because apparently it helps when your writing it out but i realised it doesn't really help me because i stop remembering equations(maths/physics), any tips on how to actually memorize stuff?
what revision methods do you use?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Shine.7
I've got my mocks coming up in two weeks time and i have 'revised' (made notes for every single subject) because apparently it helps when your writing it out but i realised it doesn't really help me because i stop remembering equations(maths/physics), any tips on how to actually memorize stuff?
what revision methods do you use?

Thanks in advance :smile:

For physics, you will be given a data sheet. I think it has all of the formulae on it.
For maths, you will be given a formula booklet. It has most of the formulae on it, but you will have to remember some. The ones you have to remember are usually easy anyway.
Revising from past papers helps massively. You basically get used to the style questions they have and the questions are similar every year.

How people revise from them is by answering the questions as if in an exam, then the questions you are stuck on, you must look it up in the revision guide, mark scheme etc. and MEMORIZE it! After that, finish the paper off.

I know this will be a drag, but then do the paper AGAIN, but this time without looking it up. If you still don't answer a question right, go look it up again and complete the whole paper again till you get full marks.

Basically aim to do the practice papers 2-3 times and you don't even have to revise so intensely then! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PinkandBlue00
Revising from past papers helps massively. You basically get used to the style questions they have and the questions are similar every year.

How people revise from them is by answering the questions as if in an exam, then the questions you are stuck on, you must look it up in the revision guide, mark scheme etc. and MEMORIZE it! After that, finish the paper off.

I know this will be a drag, but then do the paper AGAIN, but this time without looking it up. If you still don't answer a question right, go look it up again and complete the whole paper again till you get full marks.

Basically aim to do the practice papers 2-3 times and you don't even have to revise so intensely then! :smile:

Alright, I'll try it out. Thank youuu!! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by morgan8002
For physics, you will be given a data sheet. I think it has all of the formulae on it.
For maths, you will be given a formula booklet. It has most of the formulae on it, but you will have to remember some. The ones you have to remember are usually easy anyway.

I know but I need to learn and remeber what all the letters stand for! & apparently this year there's a lot of maths equations to remember :/ so im trying to not get them muddled up, tryig to find a way to remember n not grt confused haha
Original post by Shine.7
I know but I need to learn and remeber what all the letters stand for! & apparently this year there's a lot of maths equations to remember :/ so im trying to not get them muddled up, tryig to find a way to remember n not grt confused haha

The spec hasn't changed for 9 years, so you don't have to remember any more formulae than usual. The formula booklet hasn't changed in 13 years, so no difference there.
Try to understand what the equations mean. Also it might or might not be a good idea to learn their proofs. If you learn the proofs, you will be able to derive the equations in the exam, even if you forget the equations themselves.

In general, good advice for maths is to do lots of past papers, including solomon papers.

Quick Reply

Latest