The Student Room Group

When cats purr, does it mean they're sexually aroused?

Just curious.
Nope.
Reply 2
It either means they are happy but it can also be an indicator of stress.

To be fair, if you've owned a cat for more than two weeks, you should know what your cat is getting at 90% of the time
Reply 3
Original post by A5ko
It either means they are happy but it can also be an indicator of stress.

Nobody knows for certain why they do it though, apparently. It's mostly just speculation.
How about purring whilst suckling your jumper?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
How about purring whilst suckling your jumper?

Or needing said jumper :biggrin:
Reply 6
no idea about that.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
Or needing said jumper :biggrin:

How about both :sexface:
I'd personally put it down.
Most of the time, cats purr because they are happy and comfortable in your company: in my opinion, there isn't a more beautiful sound than hearing your cat communicate in such a passionate way. :smile: Yet, for some reason which doesn't make any sense to me, some cats can start purring when they are in a bad situation - a fact worth Googling!
Reply 10
Original post by CharmingCat
Most of the time, cats purr because they are happy and comfortable in your company: in my opinion, there isn't a more beautiful sound than hearing your cat communicate in such a passionate way. :smile: Yet, for some reason which doesn't make any sense to me, some cats can start purring when they are in a bad situation - a fact worth Googling!

I agree, I find the sound of cats purring to be really soothing. It's a great sound.

Also, to answer your concern, it's speculated that purring can trigger a hormone in a cat's brain which can help them to relax when they're distressed.
Reply 11
From what I've gathered, mother cats will purr to enable their young to find them for nursing, and in turn kittens will purr to communicate back. It's thought purring is a safer communication method for sake of not attracting potential predators. Anyway, would explain why cats purr both when content as well as when injured or in danger.
*purrs*
Original post by pocahontas lol
*purrs*

Purrfect avatar! :smile:
Original post by CharmingCat
Purrfect avatar! :smile:

Hello, Kitty...Miss Hello Kitty. :biggrin:
did you know big cats purr as well.oh the treading bit when they are making them selves comfortable .ouch

Quick Reply

Latest