The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone applied to Irwin Mitchell and received a response requesting telephone interview? Or any friends/classmates?
Original post by DonnieCA
Anyone applied to Irwin Mitchell and received a response requesting telephone interview? Or any friends/classmates?

I haven't applied this year but last year when I submitted my application they were pretty quick in inviting me for a telephone interview - I think it was about 4 days (this was for a TC though)
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
I didn't realise we would have to be structuring arguments in relation to case studies :afraid: I thought they would usually be more of a discussion

Original post by J-SP
It's about keeping what you are saying concise and using evidence to back up what you are saying.

If it lacked structure, I suspect they thought you were being a little long winded/rambling in what you are saying.

I might be wrong though, but that's the type of comment I would give in feedback if I just felt what someone was saying needed better delivery.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it was a discussion but I had to have arguments in relation to what I wrote and why etc. I got a rejection after an AC at Links and they said the main issue was the depth and structure in the case study interview. It was soo hard.

Thankyou J-SP, what you are saying seems right as it was a bit rambly and a bit wishy washy. I am really trying to work on it for my next AC on thursday but I don't know how especially as I have no clue what it will be about :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey guys! I haven't applied to any yet as I wanted to work in patent law. Had 2 job interviews then and got 3 lined up but I've started to become more interested in law in general. I just did the winter vac scheme with Bristows as I'm really interested in IP law. Is anyone else looking at IP law and has anyone applied to Bird & Bird and Olswang? Best of luck everyone! :smile:
Anybody got any recommendations of places I should apply if I can only really restart working on apps on the 14th of Jan??

Also, Bird & Bird - do you think i should bother applying there considering as a second year I have no exp of IP law and that's obviously what theyre all about? If I have a chance as long as I enthuse about my intentions for IP Law, I'll give it a go, if not I'll give it a miss, time's too valuable and I want at least one VS this summer.
Original post by TykeDragon
Anybody got any recommendations of places I should apply if I can only really restart working on apps on the 14th of Jan??

Also, Bird & Bird - do you think i should bother applying there considering as a second year I have no exp of IP law and that's obviously what theyre all about? If I have a chance as long as I enthuse about my intentions for IP Law, I'll give it a go, if not I'll give it a miss, time's too valuable and I want at least one VS this summer.

Lots of the US firms are non rolling, and close Jan or beyond).

(Covington & Burling, Gibson Dunn, Sidley Austin, White & Case, Vinson & Elkins, Davis Polk, Debevoise Plimpton.

Also Travers Smith and SJ Berwin are not rolling.
All of those are non-rolling?! Excellent thanks mate!
Reply 887
Original post by DonnieCA

Hey! I applied to Irwin Mitchell around mid Dec but haven't heard a reply yet. When did you apply if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 888
Has anyone actually had the telephone interview for Irwin Mitchell??
Reply 889
just had an interview at shearman & sterling - anyone in the same boat? do you know how long it'll take them to reject/accept ?!
What small/medium firms are not rolling?
Original post by J-SP
KWM (what SJB are now called) are doing rolling recruitment this year. They start the interview process next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
]]

Ya! But I heard that this year they are introducing video interviews even though its not mentioned in the website,
Reply 892
Original post by liarpoker
Lots of the US firms are non rolling, and close Jan or beyond).

(Covington & Burling, Gibson Dunn, Sidley Austin, White & Case, Vinson & Elkins, Davis Polk, Debevoise Plimpton.

Also Travers Smith and SJ Berwin are not rolling.

Travers Smith state on their website that they aren't rolling but will start handing out interview dates in the New Year allocating places from now onwards.. so with Travers Smith best to get apps in now
Reply 893
Original post by STheBlondie
Sorry to hear that. Did you receive that before or after doing the critical reasoning test? I submitted just before the Christmas break and haven't heard anything yet.

Before the critical thinking test, sorry if this doesn't help!
Original post by de jure
Before the critical thinking test, sorry if this doesn't help!

Yeah it does, thanks! I was unsure if the test was sent automatically or not.
Hey has anyone done the Simmons AC which they can shed some light on? Thanks
Reply 896
Original post by givemegoodnews
Hey has anyone done the Simmons AC which they can shed some light on? Thanks

I did it a while ago. Its a long day and the tasks aren't easy I'd say. Its also different in that its assessment focussed and not much time is spent getting to know you as a person - even the questions about you in the interview are competency based. I enjoyed the day though and I think that's important to come across as personable etc when there's little time spent on you. Just make sure you don't get daunted by the tasks and stay calm. Not much more really to add.
Hmmm PFO from a firm, however, not sure whether it's for the VS or a paralegal role I applied for (doesn't actually say in the email) just says 'Kind regards, X Recruitment Team':s-smilie:
Original post by mack3
I did it a while ago. Its a long day and the tasks aren't easy I'd say. Its also different in that its assessment focussed and not much time is spent getting to know you as a person - even the questions about you in the interview are competency based. I enjoyed the day though and I think that's important to come across as personable etc when there's little time spent on you. Just make sure you don't get daunted by the tasks and stay calm. Not much more really to add.

Hmm that's a shame :erm:

I know there's a document review exercise and an interview, but what's the interactive exercise they mention?
Reply 899
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
Hmm that's a shame :erm:

I know there's a document review exercise and an interview, but what's the interactive exercise they mention?

It's a group discussion in teams and then with everyone at the AC (which in mine was about 6/7) and having to come to an agreement, for me that was the most straightforward part of the day. I'd say the most relaxed bit is lunch with trainees so make the most of that as well. Its a good day though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending